locked AUDIO ALERTS on TX

Hello and HNY everyone,

There should be a setting that when a station invokes any type of TXing to another station, that there be automated 'muting' of the JT Alerts (New Grid, New DXCC, New "whatever")... It is terrible to hear all these alerts on the air. Some ops have every audible alert selected and it can last up to 10 plus seconds of hearing it.

Does this exist already or am I missing the option somewhere?

HNY
Jose
N4BAA

Michael Black

Thought there was a check for the same sound card as the rig at one time.
With all the people I've helped many only have the one sound device for their rig....but I haven't seen anybody that had alert sounds turned on in that case.

Seems JTAlert could auto-check to see if it's the same sound card and disable sounds with a warning if it matches.

Such alerts would interfere with decodes too and generate noise on the band.

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, January 1, 2022, 06:51:02 AM CST, Jose - N4BAA via groups.io <jose-castillo@...> wrote:

Hello and HNY everyone,

There should be a setting that when a station invokes any type of TXing to another station, that there be automated 'muting' of the JT Alerts (New Grid, New DXCC, New "whatever")... It is terrible to hear all these alerts on the air. Some ops have every audible alert selected and it can last up to 10 plus seconds of hearing it.

Does this exist already or am I missing the option somewhere?

HNY
Jose
N4BAA

Agree Mike!
HNY

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

JT-Alert will not use the "Default Audio Device" for alerts but
that does not prevent the user for setting both JT-Alert Alerts
and WSJTX/JTDX from using the same sound card.

JT-Alert already includes a warning not to use the same sound card
as the transmitter. I suppose Laurie could read the WSJTX/JTDX configuration and "hide" or lock out that sound card but there
must be some limits to the "nanny act."

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-01-01 7:50 AM, Jose - N4BAA via groups.io wrote:
Hello and HNY everyone,
There should be a setting that when a station invokes any type of TXing to another station, that there be automated 'muting' of the JT Alerts (New Grid, New DXCC, New "whatever")... It is terrible to hear all these alerts on the air. Some ops have every audible alert selected and it can last up to 10 plus seconds of hearing it.
Does this exist already or am I missing the option somewhere?
HNYJoseN4BAA

Jim Cooper

I must be missing something here, but how can a JTalert
alert be generated by a station while they are transmitting?

Nothing is being received while you are transmitting,
so what is going to trigger an audible alert?

The most common complaint along this line is when
WINDOWS alerts are generated using the same audio
device as the WSJT tx is using ... those definitely can
get broadcast at the same time as the digital signal.

On 2022-01-01 3:30 PM, Jim Cooper wrote:
I must be missing something here, but how can a JTalert
alert be generated by a station while they are transmitting?
It takes a finite period of time to transmit each alert.
When there are multiple voice alerts to be transmitted (CQ,
DX, New Zone, New Grid) they can easily extend 10 seconds
or more *past* the receive period and into the transmit
period.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-01-01 3:30 PM, Jim Cooper wrote:
[...]

Decoding occurs after the RX period and into the TX period.
Slower machines were decoding may take a few seconds.

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, January 1, 2022, 02:30:43 PM CST, Jim Cooper <jtalert@...> wrote:

I must be missing something here, but how can a JTalert
alert be generated by a station while they are transmitting?

Nothing is being received while you are transmitting,
so what is going to trigger an audible alert?

The most common complaint along this line is when
WINDOWS alerts are generated using the same audio
device  as the WSJT tx is using ... those definitely can
get broadcast at the same time as the digital signal.

On 1 Jan 2022 at 13:06, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:

> Thought there was a check for the same sound card as the rig at one
> time.  With all the people I've helped many only have the one
> sound device for their rig....but I haven't seen anybody that had
> alert sounds turned on in that case.
> Seems JTAlert could auto-check to see if it's the same sound card
> and disable sounds with a warning if it matches.
> Such alerts would interfere with decodes too and generate noise on
> the band.
> Mike W9MDB
>

>    On Saturday, January 1, 2022, 06:51:02 AM CST, Jose - N4BAA via
> groups.io <jose-castillo=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
>
>  Hello and HNY everyone,
> There should be a setting that when a station invokes any type of
> TXing to another station, that there be automated 'muting' of the JT
> Alerts (New Grid, New DXCC, New "whatever")... It is terrible to
> hear all these alerts on the air. Some ops have every audible alert
> selected and it can last up to 10 plus seconds of hearing it.
> Does this exist already or am I missing the option somewhere?
> HNYJoseN4BAA

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 2/01/2022 12:06 am, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Thought there was a check for the same sound card as the rig at one time.
With all the people I've helped many only have the one sound device for their rig....but I haven't seen anybody that had alert sounds turned on in that case.

Seems JTAlert could auto-check to see if it's the same sound card and disable sounds with a warning if it matches.

Such alerts would interfere with decodes too and generate noise on the band.

Mike W9MDB

JTAlert does check for a sound device match with JTAlert and WSJTX/JTDX.
This check has been present for a number of years. Just yesterday I was looking at the code as I was doing a cleanup of the messages customization as I removed the old HB9HQX and JT65-HF strings.

Works for me.

de Laurie VK3AMA

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 2/01/2022 1:56 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
I suppose Laurie could read the WSJTX/JTDX configuration and "hide" or lock out that sound card but there
must be some limits to the "nanny act."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

JTAlert already checks for a sound device match and prevents all audio from JTAlert.
This does not address the Lids who still have Windows sounds enabled in a single sound device PC environment.

I don't know if locking
out a sound device is possible, but it is not something I would do even if possible. Deliberately interfering with other applications sound output or the Windows sound system, ie malware type behavior, is not something I would ever consider.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-01-01 8:15 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
JTAlert already checks for a sound device match and prevents all audio
from JTAlert.
The check does not occur (or fails) on my system - using either WSJTX
2.5.3 or JTDX 2.2.157 - with JTAlert 2.50.9 (beta).

This does not address the Lids who still have Windows sounds enabled in a single sound device PC environment.
No, you can't prevent Windows Sounds, nor should you be expected to do
so. However, JT-Alert is not preventing alert sounds from using the
same sound card as the WSJTX/JTDX *transmit* endpoint.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-01-01 8:15 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 2/01/2022 1:56 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
I suppose Laurie could read the WSJTX/JTDX configuration and "hide" or lock out that sound card but there
must be some limits to the "nanny act."

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV
JTAlert already checks for a sound device match and prevents all audio from JTAlert.
This does not address the Lids who still have Windows sounds enabled in a single sound device PC environment.
I don't know if lockingouta sound device is possible, but it is not something I would do even if possible. Deliberately interfering with other applications sound output or the Windows sound system, ie malware type behavior, is not something I wouldeverconsider.

That sound card check does not seem to work with JTDX.

Is it looking in the wrong directory for the ini file maybe?

Mike W9MDB

On 2/01/2022 3:39 pm, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
That sound card check does not seem to work with JTDX.

Is it looking in the wrong directory for the ini file maybe?

Mike W9MDB

The JTDX soundboard check works for me.

Since you and Joe have reported this is not working I'll take a dive into the code and see what I find. That will happen tomorrow my time. Keep an eye on the Beta group for a new build.

de Laurie VK3AMA

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 2/01/2022 2:00 pm, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
JT-Alert is not preventing alert sounds from using the
same sound card as the WSJTX/JTDX *transmit* endpoint.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Mike reported the same. I'll investigate.
Keep an eye on the Beta group for a new build tomorrow.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

Laurie,

Failure of the sound card check to work doesn't impact me
since I'm using a microHAM MK III for the rig and the
standard RealTek HD sound card for alerts in both computers.

I noticed that the test failed when I set both sounds and
JTDX/WSTJX to the Realtek for testing. I did check the
current versions of WSJTX (2.5.3) and JTDX (2.2.158).

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-01-02 1:30 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 2/01/2022 2:00 pm, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:
JT-Alert is not preventing alert sounds from using the
same sound card as the WSJTX/JTDX *transmit* endpoint.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV
Mike reported the same. I'll investigate.
Keep an eye on the Beta group for a new build tomorrow.
de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim N6VH

[...]

I checked, using WSJT-X 2.5.3 and JTAlert 2.50.9 beta 0005. I did not get that message.

73,

Jim N6VH

David Brittenham

These sounds are bad enough, but IMO the worst offenders are those who have their station mic live, where you hear 2-meter QSO's in the background, police scanners, eyeball QSO's, and on more than one occasion, a family fight going on.  You can put all the safeguards in the software you want, but I'm sorry, sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

73
David
WA0RVK

Joe Subich, W4TV

You can put all the safeguards in the software you want, but I'm sorry, sometimes you just can't fix stupid.
Not necessarily stupidity. Could be as simple as having an older
radio that does not disconnect the microphone in digital modes or
not knowing how to properly configure their radio. Even the newest
Icom rigs default to MIC,ACC for data mode audio.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-01-02 12:53 PM, David Brittenham wrote:
These sounds are bad enough, but IMO the worst offenders are those who have their station mic live, where you hear 2-meter QSO's in the background, police scanners, eyeball QSO's, and on more than one occasion, a family fight going on.  You can put all the safeguards in the software you want, but I'm sorry, sometimes you just can't fix stupid.
73
David
WA0RVK

Herschel Hall

My Icm 746pro kept the microphone hot when using digital modes through rear jacks, fortunately I have a SM-8 microphone & I would just flip the switch o second radio position.
Herschel
WA9KIA

On 2022-01-02 12:53 PM, David Brittenham wrote:
> These sounds are bad enough, but IMO the worst offenders are those who have their station mic live, where you hear 2-meter QSO's in the background, police scanners, eyeball QSO's, and on more than one occasion, a family fight going on.  You can put all the safeguards in the software you want, but I'm sorry, sometimes you just can't fix stupid.
>
> 73
> David
> WA0RVK

David Brittenham

True, Joe.  Poor choice of words on my part.  At the time I was reading the OP, I was listening to just such a conversation on 15m FT8, two guys carrying on a "colorful" discussion of local politics.  I was always taught by my elmer and mentor, who also happened to be my dad, to monitor my own transmissions, at least occasionally.

73
David
WA0RVK