From: Joe Taylor via Moon-net <moon-net@...>
Date: Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 12:28 PM
Subject: [Moon-Net] Bill Somerville, G4WJS, SK
To: moon-net@... <moon-net@...>

I am very sorry to convey the sad news that Bill Somerville, G4WJS, died
suddenly and unexpectedly a few days ago.  He was only about 65 years old.

Bill was a dear friend and very close colleague, though (as is often the
case with worldwide ham radio friendships) we had met in person only a
few times.  In 2013 he was the first to join me in forming a core
development group for WSJT-X, which at that time was at program version
0.99.  Bill has been closely involved with WSJT-X and related software
projects ever since.

Our free, open-source software could not have achieved its extensive
worldwide popularity and influence in ham radio without Bill's essential
contributions.  In addition to writing code for important portions of
the Qt-based user interface for WSJT-X, Bill helped to bring the overall
program structure more nearly up to professional standards.  Moreover,
he devoted countless hours to program support, patiently answering
user's questions on WSJT-related forums.

I have only started to think about the many ways in which I will miss
Bill -- not no mention how we all will miss his immense and positive
impact on WSJT-X and related projects.  For more than eight years Bill
and I communicated closely and regularly on ham radio topics, sometimes
many times per day.  Perhaps I will be able to write more about it in
the near future.

Rest in peace, dear friend G4WJS.

        -- Joe, K1JT

Ed Wilson

Colleagues,

This is a major loss to amateur radio but much more of a loss to Bill's family and dear friends. My condolences to all who knew Bill well.

RIP Bill

Ed, K0KC

k0kc@...

http://k0kc.us/