locked Alert Database


Ken Alexander <ve3hls@...>
 

I'm baffled by the need to "rebuild" an alert database.  Shortly after installing JT Alert I went to the settings menu and created lists of Wanted DXCCs for each band.  Isn't that my Alert Database?  What does rebuilding the alert database do that I haven't done already?

73 and Many thanks,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS


Dev Null
 

Like you (I think) I get stuck in terminology. I am a very literal person. Laurie takes great care to be precise, but in this environment of three or more apps trying to work together, some terms get duplicated.

As I understand it, the "alert database" in this case is the database within JTAlert that keeps track of what you want to be alerted for.

When we "rebuild the alert database" (by the way, terminology for this action was recently changed to better describe it) we are scanning the database of the logging app, to see what we have confirmed or not "as of right now."

This should be done after any new contacts have been confirmed in the log, such as after updating the log from LOTW. Then for example, JTAlert will see that we no longer need a country or prefix or whatever you are looking for, and no longer bother you with alerts for stuff that you have confirmed.

Hope this helps.

Larry N8KU


Larry Banks
 

Hi Ken,

As  you add new DXCC confirmations, rebuilding your dB will automate this so that you don't need to do it manually.  It also does it for all the various awards, not just DXCC.

Larry / W1DYJ


On 12/1/2021 5:18, Ken Alexander wrote:
I'm baffled by the need to "rebuild" an alert database.  Shortly after installing JT Alert I went to the settings menu and created lists of Wanted DXCCs for each band.  Isn't that my Alert Database?  What does rebuilding the alert database do that I haven't done already?

73 and Many thanks,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS



Ken Alexander <ve3hls@...>
 

Thanks Larry,

My understanding of how things work is pretty much as you described.  However, I use a logger (Cloudlog) that is web based and stores my logs in "the cloud".  There's nothing on my computer to sync with JT Alert.  I can download an ADIF from my logger and I think JT Alert can read it but I'm not sure and am a little scared of making a mess of things.

I update my alert list manually every week or so; I don't work that much new stuff. I also keep countries and states on the alert list until they are QSLed.  I don't know if JT Alert lets me do that.

73 and thanks again,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS


On Wed, Dec 1, 2021, 18:28 Dev Null <aptget@...> wrote:
Like you (I think) I get stuck in terminology. I am a very literal person. Laurie takes great care to be precise, but in this environment of three or more apps trying to work together, some terms get duplicated.

As I understand it, the "alert database" in this case is the database within JTAlert that keeps track of what you want to be alerted for.

When we "rebuild the alert database" (by the way, terminology for this action was recently changed to better describe it) we are scanning the database of the logging app, to see what we have confirmed or not "as of right now."

This should be done after any new contacts have been confirmed in the log, such as after updating the log from LOTW. Then for example, JTAlert will see that we no longer need a country or prefix or whatever you are looking for, and no longer bother you with alerts for stuff that you have confirmed.

Hope this helps.

Larry N8KU


Dave Garber
 

My log is saved on google drive (web)  and jtalert finds it.    Does your cloud log include any kind of path to the file

sent via LG hand held device

On Wed., Dec. 1, 2021, 8:52 p.m. Ken Alexander, <ve3hls@...> wrote:
Thanks Larry,

My understanding of how things work is pretty much as you described.  However, I use a logger (Cloudlog) that is web based and stores my logs in "the cloud".  There's nothing on my computer to sync with JT Alert.  I can download an ADIF from my logger and I think JT Alert can read it but I'm not sure and am a little scared of making a mess of things.

I update my alert list manually every week or so; I don't work that much new stuff. I also keep countries and states on the alert list until they are QSLed.  I don't know if JT Alert lets me do that.

73 and thanks again,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021, 18:28 Dev Null <aptget@...> wrote:
Like you (I think) I get stuck in terminology. I am a very literal person. Laurie takes great care to be precise, but in this environment of three or more apps trying to work together, some terms get duplicated.

As I understand it, the "alert database" in this case is the database within JTAlert that keeps track of what you want to be alerted for.

When we "rebuild the alert database" (by the way, terminology for this action was recently changed to better describe it) we are scanning the database of the logging app, to see what we have confirmed or not "as of right now."

This should be done after any new contacts have been confirmed in the log, such as after updating the log from LOTW. Then for example, JTAlert will see that we no longer need a country or prefix or whatever you are looking for, and no longer bother you with alerts for stuff that you have confirmed.

Hope this helps.

Larry N8KU


Ken Alexander <ve3hls@...>
 

Hi Dave,

Cloudlog's author runs my copy of Cloudlog on a computer at his end because everything is done on Linux machines, which I know nothing about.

My workflow:  WSJT logs my FT-8 contacts to its own ADIF file, which I upload to Cloudlog every few days  All other QSOs are handled by N1MM Logger and the ADIF file it generates is uploaded to Cloudlog as well.  Cloudlog can generate an ADIF that contains all logs from WSJT-X and N1MM, with LoTW status for both.

JT Alert requires that I have an internal "logging" function turned ON in order to use Rebuild Alert Database.  I don't want another QSO logger.  It would be a lot easier to simply read the ADIF file Cloudlog can generate, but it's not able to do that.

73 and thanks!

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS



On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 11:13 AM Dave Garber <ve3wej@...> wrote:
My log is saved on google drive (web)  and jtalert finds it.    Does your cloud log include any kind of path to the file

sent via LG hand held device

On Wed., Dec. 1, 2021, 8:52 p.m. Ken Alexander, <ve3hls@...> wrote:
Thanks Larry,

My understanding of how things work is pretty much as you described.  However, I use a logger (Cloudlog) that is web based and stores my logs in "the cloud".  There's nothing on my computer to sync with JT Alert.  I can download an ADIF from my logger and I think JT Alert can read it but I'm not sure and am a little scared of making a mess of things.

I update my alert list manually every week or so; I don't work that much new stuff. I also keep countries and states on the alert list until they are QSLed.  I don't know if JT Alert lets me do that.

73 and thanks again,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021, 18:28 Dev Null <aptget@...> wrote:
Like you (I think) I get stuck in terminology. I am a very literal person. Laurie takes great care to be precise, but in this environment of three or more apps trying to work together, some terms get duplicated.

As I understand it, the "alert database" in this case is the database within JTAlert that keeps track of what you want to be alerted for.

When we "rebuild the alert database" (by the way, terminology for this action was recently changed to better describe it) we are scanning the database of the logging app, to see what we have confirmed or not "as of right now."

This should be done after any new contacts have been confirmed in the log, such as after updating the log from LOTW. Then for example, JTAlert will see that we no longer need a country or prefix or whatever you are looking for, and no longer bother you with alerts for stuff that you have confirmed.

Hope this helps.

Larry N8KU


JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)
 

On 1/12/2021 9:18 pm, Ken Alexander wrote:
I'm baffled by the need to "rebuild" an alert database.  Shortly after installing JT Alert I went to the settings menu and created lists of Wanted DXCCs for each band.  Isn't that my Alert Database?  What does rebuilding the alert database do that I haven't done already?

73 and Many thanks,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS

To understand why there is an Alert Database in JTAlert and why there is a need to periodically run the "Rebuild Alert Database" operation click the "Help -> Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)" menu and examine the resulting help topic.

de Laurie VK3AMA