locked Win11 issues

Bill Barrett

Hello Laurie-

Have a new PC with AMD i9 5950X CPU running Win11. Experiencing subscript errors on a single instance when running multiple instances of JTAlert 2.50.* The subscript error can appear within minutes of starting the instance or hours later. It's usually one of the busier instances.

On a secondary drive is the old Win10 system. When booting from the Win10 drive all is well with JTALert. Have you heard of any issues with the AMD CPU and Win11?

Thanks;

Bill W2PKY

Bill Barrett

-

Hello Laurie-

Have a new PC with AMD i9 5950X CPU running Win11. Experiencing subscript errors on a single instance when running multiple instances of JTAlert 2.50.* The subscript error can appear within minutes of starting the instance or hours later. It's usually one of the busier instances.

On a secondary drive is the old Win10 system. When booting from the Win10 drive all is well with JTALert. Have you heard of any issues with the AMD CPU and Win11?

Thanks;

Bill W2PKY

D. Scott MacKenzie

I am running similar set up, but usually only one instance of JT Alert.  I also have 64Gb RAM.  I have not seen this issue on my machine

Have a new PC with AMD i9 5950X CPU running Win11. Experiencing subscript errors on a single instance when running multiple instances of JTAlert 2.50.* The subscript error can appear within minutes of starting the instance or hours later. It's usually one of the busier instances.

On a secondary drive is the old Win10 system. When booting from the Win10 drive all is well with JTALert. Have you heard of any issues with the AMD CPU and Win11?

Thanks;

Bill W2PKY

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/11/2021 10:12 am, Bill Barrett wrote:

Have a new PC with AMD i9 5950X CPU running Win11. Experiencing subscript errors on a single instance when running multiple instances of JTAlert 2.50.* The subscript error can appear within minutes of starting the instance or hours later. It's usually one of the busier instances.

On a secondary drive is the old Win10 system. When booting from the Win10 drive all is well with JTALert. Have you heard of any issues with the AMD CPU and Win11?

Thanks;

Bill W2PKY

I am not aware of JTAlert problems with AMD Ryzen CPUs.

What is the error? Does it change or is it always the same error and line number? Post an image of the error window.

Is the error always on the same instance number or does it vary?

Are you running the Ryzen overclocked?

On Monday, November 8, 2021, 09:20:26 PM CST, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

On 9/11/2021 10:12 am, Bill Barrett wrote:

Have a new PC with AMD i9 5950X CPU running Win11. Experiencing subscript errors on a single instance when running multiple instances of JTAlert 2.50.* The subscript error can appear within minutes of starting the instance or hours later. It's usually one of the busier instances.

On a secondary drive is the old Win10 system. When booting from the Win10 drive all is well with JTALert. Have you heard of any issues with the AMD CPU and Win11?

Thanks;

Bill W2PKY

I am not aware of JTAlert problems with AMD Ryzen CPUs.

What is the error? Does it change or is it always the same error and line number? Post an image of the error window.

Is the error always on the same instance number or does it vary?

Are you running the Ryzen overclocked?

de Laurie VK3AMA

chas cartmel

Of no help to you, but just to advise that I have the same processor (irrelevant though) and am running the latest JTAlertX and WSJT X (updating when appropriate to new versions) on Windows 11 since it was released and not had a single issue.
I have been ‘operating’ FT8 for several hours each day so have really given it a chance to show any issues.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

Have a new PC with AMD i9 5950X CPU running Win11. Experiencing subscript errors on a single instance when running multiple instances of JTAlert 2.50.* The subscript error can appear within minutes of starting the instance or hours later. It's usually one of the busier instances.

On a secondary drive is the old Win10 system. When booting from the Win10 drive all is well with JTALert. Have you heard of any issues with the AMD CPU and Win11?

Thanks;

Bill W2PKY

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

Bill Barrett

Thanks Mike-
Had read about the issue but didn't get to the link to the resolution.
The update is very easy, the software detects the hardware and updates the drivers in a few seconds.
All seems good after the update. Looking at the Resource Manager CPU tab shows a nice spread of the work and a few idle cups.

Would you know of a performance monitor that displays the name of the software running on a certain cpu thread?
There are a few CPUs with heavy usage, would like to know what's running on those threads.

Bill W2PKY

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 11:23 PM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Because I had "wanted states" and "DXCC entities" configured in Win10, I copied the app>data directory from the Win10 system over to the Win11 drive.
I think that was causing the error conditions. Erased the Win11 App>Data directory on the Win11 drive and reinstalled JTAlert, afterwards the app ran all night without a crash.

Bill W2PKY

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 10:20 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 9/11/2021 10:12 am, Bill Barrett wrote:

Have a new PC with AMD i9 5950X CPU running Win11. Experiencing subscript errors on a single instance when running multiple instances of JTAlert 2.50.* The subscript error can appear within minutes of starting the instance or hours later. It's usually one of the busier instances.

On a secondary drive is the old Win10 system. When booting from the Win10 drive all is well with JTALert. Have you heard of any issues with the AMD CPU and Win11?

Thanks;

Bill W2PKY

I am not aware of JTAlert problems with AMD Ryzen CPUs.

What is the error? Does it change or is it always the same error and line number? Post an image of the error window.

Is the error always on the same instance number or does it vary?

Are you running the Ryzen overclocked?

I use this.  Under the Resource Monitor in this it will show you which CPU is used for a process -- not threads though.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021, 08:20:16 AM CST, Bill Barrett <billbarrett174@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Mike-
I have Process Hacker, can you please describe how to see what processes are running on a certain CPU?

Thanks;
Bill

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 9:26 AM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Tools/Start Resource Monitor  -- click the CPU tab.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021, 02:49:40 PM CST, Bill Barrett <billbarrett174@...> wrote:

[...]

I am trying to find out what is running on CPU2 as it's getting hammered.
I do not see where the CPU is associated with a task?

Bill

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 3:50 PM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Inline image

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021, 02:58:51 PM CST, Bill Barrett <billbarrett174@...> wrote:

[...]

I think that's the utilization. I have processes pinned to specific high number CPU but do not see those numbers .

Bill

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 4:24 PM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Are you using the nightly build?

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021, 03:34:30 PM CST, Bill Barrett <billbarrett174@...> wrote:

[...]

Installed the link but does not show more than the number 3 in the CPU column.
Looking at Resource Monitor, there is activity on many CPUs.
Is there a config option needed?
Thanks;

Bill

On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 4:36 PM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Actually that's the Windows Resource Monitor.  ProcessHacker just brings it up.

I'm on Windows 11 so don't know if that makes any difference....the program doesn't contain a version number.

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021, 04:23:58 PM CST, Bill Barrett <billbarrett174@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm on Win11 Pro just installed and fully updated.
Okay, thanks for the help.
Doesn't look like Win11 spreads out the work as well as it could.
Playing with assigning apps to certain CPUs with the Affinity Command.
The Cache should be more effective if the app executes on the same CPU everytime.

73;
Bill

On 10/11/2021 1:24 am, Bill Barrett wrote:
Because I had "wanted states" and "DXCC entities" configured in Win10, I copied the app>data directory from the Win10 system over to the Win11 drive.
I think that was causing the error conditions. Erased the Win11 App>Data directory on the Win11 drive and reinstalled JTAlert, afterwards the app ran all night without a crash.

Bill W2PKY

OK Bill. Copying the localappdata directory to the new machine is how I would do it and what I recommend.
From your experience, it would appear that something in the old JTAlert config file (from the Win10 machine) was tripping up the Win11 install. Was the Win10 JTAlert install an older pre-2.50.x install? If so what version was it?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill Barrett

Hello Laurie-

The Win10 system was running 2.50.7
I have gone back to the Win10 system because of long DPC/ISR over-runs on Win11.
However, seeing the same 2500 usec times on the Win10 system as well.
Must be the new hardware.
Thanks for the help.

Bill W2PKY

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 9:44 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 10/11/2021 1:24 am, Bill Barrett wrote:
Because I had "wanted states" and "DXCC entities" configured in Win10, I copied the app>data directory from the Win10 system over to the Win11 drive.
I think that was causing the error conditions. Erased the Win11 App>Data directory on the Win11 drive and reinstalled JTAlert, afterwards the app ran all night without a crash.

Bill W2PKY

OK Bill. Copying the localappdata directory to the new machine is how I would do it and what I recommend.
From your experience, it would appear that something in the old JTAlert config file (from the Win10 machine) was tripping up the Win11 install. Was the Win10 JTAlert install an older pre-2.50.x install? If so what version was it?

de Laurie VK3AMA