locked Which version of JT Alert works now with my HRD v6.7.0.391 Release

conradtrautmann@...

Thanks for clarifying desktop vs console. I did follow the links in the program to the .net site and downloaded what I thought was right for my computer. I also read the setup instructions but must have missed this.

I’ll give desktop a try.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/10/2021 12:00 pm, Dave Garber wrote:
I've tried to set everything the same..no joy..
maybe it is just port settings or something like that?

At least the old version of JTA 2.16.3 still is logging to HRD.

Install the correct .NET Desktop Runtime. If you cant or wont, than your only option it to stay with the old JTAlert 2.16.x releases.

All current 2.50.x releases AND ALL future releases require the .NET Desktop Runtime! It is not optional, it cannot be substituted with the non-desktop runtime. Without the Desktop Runtime, JTAlert 2.50.x will not function correctly with many parts of it not working.

On 19/10/2021 11:07 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

dot NET 5.0.11 *DESKTOP* works just fine with the most recent version
of Windows 10.  If "rolling back" to 5.0.5 made a difference, you
probably have the console version of 5.0.11 (wrong product).

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Exactly! You beat me to it Joe.

If rolling back the .NET version corrects the JTAlert operation it is because the original version was the non-desktop version and the rolled-back version was the "Desktop Runtime" as is required by JTAlert, which is a Desktop application.

In ALL cases I have seen where people have a broken JTAlert install related to the .NET install, it has been due to the non-desktop runtime being installed, despite the many posts about this, the online documentation with direct links to the correct runtimes and the JTAlert help file instructions. Once the affected users took the time to read the instructions or follow the posted instructions and installed the "Desktop Runtime" JTAlert starts operating as designed.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-10-18 7:34 PM, conradtrautmann via groups.io wrote:
Vince, I think you may be on to something. I got a new computer, did fresh installs of Win 10 and WSJT-X and JTAlert and could not get it to work. I rolled back .net just like you did by uninstalling and loading 5.0.0 and boom, everything was happy. It would not work with 5.0.11 at all. I was going to report it as a fresh discovery but saw you had the same issue. Apparently .11 was released recently so maybe something in that recent release changed.

conradtrautmann@...

Vince, I think you may be on to something. I got a new computer, did fresh installs of Win 10 and WSJT-X and JTAlert and could not get it to work. I rolled back .net just like you did by uninstalling and loading 5.0.0 and boom, everything was happy. It would not work with 5.0.11 at all. I was going to report it as a fresh discovery but saw you had the same issue. Apparently .11 was released recently so maybe something in that recent release changed.

Vince Loschiavo

Ok...I'm almost back to normal..
Im guessing that WSJT-x reports to HRD Log..
or I managed to screw it up so that I'm logging contacts again...so I'll assume that is fixed.
My concern is:
I've deprecated the .NET from 5.0.11 back to 5.0.0
I keep running your app to see if it is installed (and I can see that it is installed) and I still get the nag to download it cause it isn't..
ugg..
also
nothing is populated on JTAlert with any of the decodes..
and I see ???m up on the top row.
Vince
N2AIE..
UGG

Vince Loschiavo

I never migrated to Maria db..if that is the issue.

Vince Loschiavo

So,
Not working ..
I did try the install to a new folder..and just removed it according to Laurie that it wouldn't work.
I did the re-install of 2.50.7, and still no HRD log..
It said that i was going to overwrite what was in that folder, and went ahead.
I realize that things have moved forward, and all has been working for years, an according to several it should work.
I'm back to manually recording those FT8 contacts...until I get this figured out...
UGG...

Dave Garber

Perhaps if you let it overwrite it should keep the settings

On Sun., Oct. 17, 2021, 8:43 p.m. Vince Loschiavo, <vince320@...> wrote:
Joe,
I installed the latest JTA but didn't let it overwrite the old version...had it go to another folder in Pgm Files
so It is not working (no HRD logging).
I've tried to set everything the same..no joy..
maybe it is just port settings or something like that?

At least the old version of JTA 2.16.3 still is logging to HRD.

Vince Loschiavo

Joe,
I installed the latest JTA but didn't let it overwrite the old version...had it go to another folder in Pgm Files
so It is not working (no HRD logging).
I've tried to set everything the same..no joy..
maybe it is just port settings or something like that?

At least the old version of JTA 2.16.3 still is logging to HRD.

Mike N8FRI

Mike N8FRI
My HRD continues to work fine business with all recent iterations of JTDX and JTAlert, although I did switch to Maria for faster/smoother access to the HRD log.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/10/2021 6:21 am, Vince Loschiavo wrote:
I'm assuming I can install the latest JTAlert in a different folder, and keep the old one..

That won't work. JTAlert does not support multiple installed versions.

Each new install, regardless of the install folder will impact the previously installed version making it unusable. JTAlert does support a simple upgrade/downgrade mechanism. Simply run the JTAlert installer for the version you want to use, there is no need for dedicated folders or prior uninstalls, just stop JTAlert and run the required version installer.

If you're worried about trying a new JTAlert version and loosing your settings, there is no need to be, all your JTAlert settings are stored and managed independent of the Installer operations. You can easily rollback versions without any loss of your settings just by running the old version installer.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Vince Loschiavo

Thanks all for your comments.
I'm assuming I can install the latest JTAlert in a different folder, and keep the old one..
I'll give it a try, as everything is working and has been for years..(since the start of JTA)!  Thanks Laurie,
but after seeing all the hubbub with one of the loads not working with HRD, I stopped updating JTA
as far as the sequence is concerned that is how i normally start it..HRD the let JTAlert start WSJT-x then it runs..

Thanks all.
Vince

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/10/2021 5:50 am, Michael T. Lieberman wrote:
That's what I thought but it is grayed out  !!

It will be greyed out (disabled) when there is not a logger enabled within JTAlert. Without a logger enabled, JTAlert doesn't do any logging, so displaying the log fields is a wasted exercise.

With JTAlert shows "NO LOG" in its titlebar, you have logging turned off.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Michael T. Lieberman

Hey, thanks for the quick response!!
That's what I thought but it is grayed out  !!

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021, 1:37 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 18/10/2021 4:20 am, Michael T. Lieberman wrote:
ll i get is the Main Screen with the first line. Nothing else, no name , location,  state or county etc etc !!!!
Any thoughts ????

To display the log fields use the "View -> Show Log Fields" menu.

de Laurie VK3AMA

David - AK2L

I agree with Jack (KD4IZ).  I have been using JTAlert with multiple iterations of HRD.  The only problem has been HRD LB's use of Microsoft Access.  After I switched it to use the Maria DB, I have had zero problems.

AK2L

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/10/2021 6:52 am, Vince Loschiavo wrote:
Could you tell me which version to go to that will continue working with HRD, Win10, and WSJT-X ??

Thanks
Vince
N2AIE

JTAlert works with all modern (in the last few years) versions of HRD.
There have not been any reports from JTAlert test team of any HRD issues.

On 18/10/2021 4:20 am, Michael T. Lieberman wrote:
ll i get is the Main Screen with the first line. Nothing else, no name , location,  state or county etc etc !!!!
Any thoughts ????

To display the log fields use the "View -> Show Log Fields" menu.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Michael T. Lieberman

Hi, a problem here :
Running latest versions of everything on a new Win10 machine , new to me.

On JTALERT, all i get is the Main Screen with the first line. Nothing else, no name , location,  state or county etc etc !!!!
Any thoughts ????
Have been using these programs forever, luv them  !!!!
Thanks & 73 to all,
Michael WA1UZO

MTL

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021, 12:33 PM Antony <antonyg4cus@...> wrote:
No problem here logging with the latest of the 3 programs mentioned either. They run well together.

73,
Antony G4CUS

Antony