locked Wanted VE Provinces not working #FT8

ve7nz

I recently updated JT-Alert. Love the idea of a Wanted VE Provinces Alert.  I rebuild my database regularly from HRD Logbook which confirms QSOs with LoTW.  This works perfectly for all alerts except the Wanted VE Provinces Alert.  Even though I can see which provinces I have worked in JT Alert, I get alerts for those provinces indicating they are ones I need - when I don't.

The setting look the same for WAS, DXCC, and VE Provinces but the results are different.

Any ideas?

Thx. Adrian VE7NZ

Monty Wilson, NR0A

The Wanted VE Provinces Alert works fine on my system.  It is a relatively new addition to the program.  Are you running the latest version?  I am running 2.50.5.  If so, then check the settings under Wanted VE Provence under the settings menu.  Make sure the Enable Wanted VE Provence Alert is checked.  I also checked the Use individual Province Name announcements  rather than the singular alert.

Hope this helps.

Monty, NR0A

I recently updated JT-Alert. Love the idea of a Wanted VE Provinces Alert.  I rebuild my database regularly from HRD Logbook which confirms QSOs with LoTW.  This works perfectly for all alerts except the Wanted VE Provinces Alert.  Even though I can see which provinces I have worked in JT Alert, I get alerts for those provinces indicating they are ones I need - when I don't.

The setting look the same for WAS, DXCC, and VE Provinces but the results are different.

Any ideas?

Thx. Adrian VE7NZ

Dan Bathker

Adrian VE7NZ wrote:
" ... works perfectly for all alerts except the Wanted VE Provinces Alert."
" ...
Any ideas?"

Suggestion:
Try a 3x5 inch (75x125 mm) paper card on which you write the VE Province callsign areas you still want.
Using transparent tape, attach over your op position.
Refer to from time to time and with pencil or pen check off those as worked.

As I do for VE VK DL and J callsign areas that I'm still looking for.

Fighting overly complicated computer software that even talks to users in male Or female voice is just plain not worth the struggle.
Which is my Considered Opinion.

Definition of considered opinion:

Bottom Line: Use valuable time for Radio, not so much for Computer Software.

Dan K6BLG
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
Dan Bathker
PO Box 23

d.bathker@...

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 27/08/2021 11:34 am, Dan Bathker wrote:

Fighting overly complicated computer software that even talks to users in male Or female voice is just plain not worth the struggle.
Which is my Considered Opinion.

Bottom Line: Use valuable time for Radio, not so much for Computer Software.

Dan K6BLG

Hijacking other threads to push your dislike of JTAlert agenda is not cool. Your past postings indicate a dislike of Computer automation. If you dislike JTAlert so much, don't use it, a simple solution. Why are you bothering being a member of this group if all you going to do is complain and paint JTAlert as overly complicated. It is not, your the one, in my opinion, who is making it overly complicated. Help has been offered by Mike W9MDB, did you take that offer up? If not than what is the point of you being a member of this Support group.

de Laurie VK3AMA

John

Maybe the oop should  "Try a 3x5 inch (75x125 mm) paper card on which" he writes " I will not be a Jackass, I will not be a Jackass" and mount multiple copies throughout his house at eye level.

John
VE7KKQ

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 6:57 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
[...]

I did get with Dan and he's operating just fine now.

Things can get a little complicated and people get themselves wrapped around the axle and frustration bubbles up to the surface.

Mike W9MDB

On 27/08/2021 1:43 pm, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
I did get with Dan and he's operating just fine now.

Things can get a little complicated and people get themselves wrapped around the axle and frustration bubbles up to the surface.

Mike W9MDB

Tnx Mike,

Any chance you can say what was wrong or will it bee too embarrassing for the OP? Was it an incorrect NET install?

No...not the incorrect NET....he'd gotten JTAlert working before we connected and just had to tweak his setup.
Was using noise reduction which needed to turn off.

All the setup required is a bit daunting for new users.  There's not much software out there which has 3 separate components to set up before things work the way one wants

It seems to me we need a "JTAlert" setup button in WSJTX and the loggers.  Asking people to enter port numbers and such when don't understand what a port number is can be more than confusing for many.

The Help in JTAlert does help for those who understand what it means or who are willing to blindly follow direction without understanding what it means.  But if you have a questioning mind you look at the directions and go "what does that mean?".  Not sure there's a good way to explain it for everybody -- even trying to draw a communication diagram assumes people understand a communication path.

For operators who grew up twiddling knobs the new rigs with all the options and the myriad options in all the software is a bit much.   Usually new information takes a while to sink in for most people and you can only fill it up so much at once.

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, August 26, 2021, 10:54:19 PM CDT, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

On 27/08/2021 1:43 pm, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
I did get with Dan and he's operating just fine now.

Things can get a little complicated and people get themselves wrapped around the axle and frustration bubbles up to the surface.

Mike W9MDB

Tnx Mike,

Any chance you can say what was wrong or will it bee too embarrassing for the OP? Was it an incorrect NET install?

de Laurie VK3AMA

g4wjs

Mike,

so are you saying the OPs's issue was that he had entered a port number in WSJT-X that was not available?

As an aside, Amateur Radio is  technical hobby and many enjoy the challenge of getting complex systems working to their satisfaction. IMHO attempts to dumb down the setup of complex things leads to more issues than exposing the real details does.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 27/08/2021 2:09 pm, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I appreciate you stepping in and providing remote access assistance (on more than one occasion), something I am not in a position to provide. Thanks for that. But, if a user wants to embrace the digital modes, they need to understand the technology, and if they don't, they should try and educate themselves or find an Elmer to assist.

IMO, if a user has studied and obtained their license, regardless of how long ago, they have the capacity to learn something new, isn't that part of what Amateur Radio is all about?

I admit the JTAlert help could be better, but seriously, I have already dumbed down the WSJT-X UDP JTAlert setup instructions to 4 bullet points with pictures. It can't get any simpler. Heck, JTAlert has always done most of the work by auto-configuring itself to work with the settings of the detected running instance of WSJT-X.

I appreciate that some older hams may be slow on the uptake, but that should be more reason for them to take it slow before diving in head-first without any real idea on what is happening or what affect a setting change (usually multiple changes) will cause.

Personally, I have little time for the current generation of Hams who want everyone to do the work for them and unfortunately, I have been seeing the same behavior from some Hams of long-standing. Too many older Hams simply dismiss their problems as being due to their age and/or Computer inexperience. Frankly that's a pile of Horse S***t IMO. If my aging Mother who never graduated from High-School, was a house-wife & mother for most of her adult live, got her first Computer at age 75 can use it effectively paying bills, doing banking, buying & selling on Ebay as well as the interacting with grandkids via Facebook, than there is no resewn an older Ham who was licensed back when Valve gear was king and had to have rather high-level technical skills to get licensed should have trouble using Computers and the Digital Modes.

FWIW, my mother took it upon herself to learn how to use a computer, not by having her son (me) hold her hand which is difficult when I live 2000 miles away, but taking it upon herself to take some night classes at the local Tech collage.

I am over the "I'm old and don't understand computers" excuses that some use.

That's the end of my rant/commentary.

de Laurie VK3AMA

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 27/08/2021 6:27 pm, g4wjs wrote:
IMHO attempts to dumb down the setup of complex things leads to more issues than exposing the real details does.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

I have to agree with you Bill.

My dumbing down of the JTAlert/WSJTX setup instructions to 4 simple bullet points with pictures and numbers has had little benefit in reducing the support requests. Some people simply wont read instructions, regardless of how simple and concise.

FWIW, eventually JTAlert will be moving away from the current automatic setup based on detected WSJT-X
(on the local PC) instance settings to a manual setup requiring deliberate input of port and IP address. This is to allow JTAlert to work with WSJTX running on remote (non-local) machines.

de Laurie VK3AMA