locked Spam from KJ4GK

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 8/07/2020 3:19 am, Thomas Mize KJ4GK wrote:
I am the one responsible for the messages being sent the last few days using JT Alert and I take FULL RESPONSIBILITY.

Allow me to explain please...

First off, this is absolutely embarrassing. My Name is Thomas Mize - KJ4GK and this is my first year volunteering to operate as K2G along with many others ops from GA for the 13 Colonies Special Event.

I am one of those type of guys that always tries to think out side the box. In a way, it is a good thing in many situations, but with what happened with this IT WAS NOT :(

What gave this idea, was what a fellow Ham said. He stated, that he wasn't having a lot of luck on the allocated frequencies even with spotting them.  The word wasn't getting out well enough.  Just by hearing him say that.  Once I got off the phone I had the idea popped off in my thick skull, I was like, "If I could send messages out to operators that are already on the band operating FT8/4 and Invite them over to the frequencies it would be GREAT!"

Then my thought was..."BUT...a big BUT, I cannot allow messages to be sent to anyone twice. In my mind that was the key. If people received messages more then once, this would NOT BE A GOOD THING AT ALL!!!

So I attempted to work on the program and found out that I wouldn't be able to implement the code to make sure it doesn't send to the same operator twice(A little over my head) so I jumped on a Freelance Site and Hired a Programmer for $80 to help me with this. I also told him only messages to be sent to operators that were online as well. I explained how important it was that people can't be sent the same message twice. I needed a database to be implemented.

The next day he sent the source over and it appeared to be working GREAT. I was getting a lot of replies thanking me so much for inviting them.  I was so happy because It was working and it was bringing people to the freq. BUT. . .

Last night I received my first message alerting me that a person had received a message more then once, for me to quit.  It startled me. Then I received another message a few minutes later, so I stopped the program IMMEDIATELY!

This morning I woke up to find Laurie's message he had sent about the messages, then saw this in the group.io and my heart DROPPED. You can say the emotions I had was of ANGER mixed with Embarrassment.

I contacted the programmer right away and requested my money back and I let him know HOW UPSET I WAS!!!!!!!!!! that it had caused a uproar AMONG fellow Ham operators and that many people were very upset and that messages were being sent to people more then once which is the MOST IMPORTANT reason I hired him in the first place.

I am deeply sorry about this to everyone.   I was just wanting to think out side the box and do something that would help spread the word of the Event and to invite operators over to work K2G.  I was hoping if it worked out great I could share it with the other States for next year.  I see that it did help MANY people. I have received well over 100+ messages thanking me BUT it came with the expense of upsetting people which just isn't right.  Honestly since this happened, it has got me to pondering and thinking a lot. Even if it never sent to someone twice, I still am not to sure if it was a good idea at all.  I just wasn't thinking.  I'm just a guy that want to help people, I've always been that way, I'm 37 Years old and have 2 precious kids and thank God they took after me. They are the same way.

Again I take full responsibility for this Laurie.  It in no way should reflect on K2G or any other operators as a group. I had this idea single handed and no one else used this but me. I have deleted the source code and the program and will no longer EVER use this again.

I just hope Laurie you will find it in your heart to forgive me.  My intentions were positive I promise, and now My IP Address which is my home IP address has been blocked. In response to one of your messages I wasn't behind a VPN. I don't own one. I was just trying to help.  I have only slept no more then 4 Hours every day so far for this event. I felt so privileged to be able to participate and now I feel terrible! I am one of the biggest Fans of JT Alert and have been enjoying it everyday for a whole year now. Being a programmer my self(No where near as good as you) I have a special respect for you as a programmer because I can fathom how much work it takes to keep something like this going out of the good will of your heart).

I repeat one last time, This will never happen again, I have deleted all the files. It was a good idea at the time that turned out to be a terrible one.  I am so sorry for anyone that I angered.

Sincerely,

Thomas Mize  KJ4GK

If you can forgive me Laurie I would love to be able to use Hamspots and Jt Alert still. It has been a big part of my life for the last year. If not I understand.  I am on a static IP over here and it doesn't change as far as I know. 73 Everyone.

I dislike reopening old message threads. But I will make this the exception.

Despite your assurances that this was a one-off event, profuse apologies in direct emails, I see one year latter you have again performed mass spamming via the JTAlert Messaging component. Close to 1700 identical messages posted in 20 minutes that is in excess of one message per second.

Your IP is now permanently blocked on the Messaging Server.

de Laurie VK3AMA