locked Worked B4

Don Melcher

Can we get a 1 day setting in Worked B4 for POTA use?
--
Don
W6CZ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/08/2021 7:15 am, Don Melcher wrote:
Can we get a 1 day setting in Worked B4 for POTA use?
--
Don
W6CZ

What about 24 hours instead?

Just joking. The problem with the B4 checks is that it is not directly tied to specific Alert types, it is a global setting, applied to all decodes and Alerts, so a one Day setting for one Alert type will not be suitable for another. I will need to think on this some more, but at this time, I don't see it getting implemented anytime soon, if ever.

Since you want a one day limit on B4 checks for your POTA chasing suggests to me that you are likely chasing individual Callsigns who are frequency activating new parks, likely on a daily or less basis. If it was me, I would be adding those activator Callsigns to the "Wanted Callsign" Alert and set that Alert to ignore the B4 status.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Don Melcher

I just want it to reset at 00 UTC. I’m looking for any POTA stations and want to work them again if the activation spans more then one day.
--
Don
W6CZ

Jim Cooper

On 13 Aug 2021 at 15:51, Don Melcher wrote:

I just want it to reset at 00 UTC.
ITMm looking for any POTA stations and
want to work them again if the
activation spans more then one day.
very simple ... with the callsign in the callsign
window at left side of the main JTalert window,
RIGHT click on it to get the menu,
then select "Add to Temporary Ignored Callsign List"

it will be ignored until you start up JTalert next time.

w2jc

Jim Cooper

I'm really not trying to be difficult, but just how
many POTA stations do you hear in a day?

Is it so many that you can't remember which ones
you just worked? or make a note on a small piece
of paper, "like we used to do in the old days"?

Laurie has done magic to add so many bells and
whistles to JTalert already, but some folks seem
to forget that EVERYTHING done by JTalert has
to be done in the last couple of SECONDS of each
FT8 cycle (even less with FT4). I think we should
all give a second and third thought to stuff we think
'would be nice to have' and consider if it is more
important that the REAL stuff that JTalert is good
at in the time it has to do the magic.

w2jc

On 13 Aug 2021 at 19:06, Don Melcher wrote:

Sorry to want to be so specific but...

That would work if I was to enter call signs.

I have an alert for decoding the word POTA. I can be working around
the shop with the system on a band waiting for a POTA Alert. When
it´s a new UTC day it counts as a new contact. So if I work a
station at 23:30, it is "eligible" to work again at 00:00 and
it´s likely propagation will still be good. So I´m looking to
clear the B4 for ANY station calling CQ POTA at 00:00 UTC every day.

On Aug 13, 2021, at 6:03 PM, Jim Cooper <jim.w2jc@gmail.com>
wrote:

On 13 Aug 2021 at 15:51, Don Melcher wrote:

I just want it to reset at 00 UTC.
ITMm looking for any POTA stations and
want to work them again if the
activation spans more then one day.
very simple ... with the callsign in the callsign
window at left side of the main JTalert window,
RIGHT click on it to get the menu,
then select "Add to Temporary Ignored Callsign List"

it will be ignored until you start up JTalert next time.

w2jc

Don Melcher

You clearly don’t understand why I ask this.  I’m not sitting in front of a computer all day looking at call signs. I want a visual and audio alert and I thought that was the function. Since this was related I didn’t think it hurt to ask, but apparently you did.
--
Don
W6CZ

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 14/08/2021 11:15 pm, Don Melcher wrote:
 I’m not sitting in front of a computer all day looking at call signs. I want a visual and audio alert and I thought that was the function. Since this was related I didn’t think it hurt to ask, but apparently you did.
--
Don
W6CZ

If you want alerting visual and or audio alerting on previously worked Callsigns (B4) you have a number of options...
  • For the Alert type set it to ignore the B4 status.
  • For the B4 settings set a suitable Date or Age threshold.
  • Add specific Callsigns to the Wanted Call Alert list and set the that Alert to ignore the B4 status.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 14/08/2021 11:03 am, Jim Cooper wrote:
very simple ... with the callsign in the callsign
window at left side of the main JTalert window,
RIGHT click on it to get the menu,
then select "Add to Temporary Ignored Callsign List"

it will be ignored until you start up JTalert next time.

w2jc
Excellent suggestion Jim. I hadn't considered that scenario.

The extra effort to right-click a POTA Callsign and adding it to the temp ignored list is minimal, a couple of mouse clicks.With the infrequency of POTA activation callsigns populating WSJTX & JTAlert, that couple of extra clicks is nothing. Then once a day restart JTAlert

de Laurie VK3AMA

Don Melcher

Now I understand the process. That will work. Just restart JTalert at 00:00.

It’s working really well. The audio alerts go out to an Echo that is then send it out to others in various locations so I hear it pretty much anywhere I am, even on my phone out and about I can VNC to the station with my phone and work the POTA station. I use FT8 almost exclusively when I activate so I like to reward my fellow FT8 activators as much as possible.
--
Don
W6CZ