locked Problems with JTAlert latest install

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/07/2021 6:57 am, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Shut down JTAlert and try renaming the HamApps directory then start JTAlert again.

See if that fixes the problem.

Mike W9MDB

No! That wont work. That has the same effect as deleting the problematic Callsigns_1.config file which will still cause the Manager process to fault when trying to open the Callsigns window.

Using the Callsigns_1.config file included in this post is the fix. https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/36310

Just rename it temporarily to HamAppsOld

JTAlert will create a new config.  This fixed one other user that I know of.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, July 14, 2021, 04:01:50 PM CDT, Jim Wysocki <wysocki1@...> wrote:

Mike, to what should it be renamed?  Will the JTAlert app find the data that it needs when all of this needed information is filed under a different location name?

Jim

On 7/14/2021 1:57 PM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Shut down JTAlert and try renaming the HamApps directory then start JTAlert again.

See if that fixes the problem.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, July 14, 2021, 03:51:57 PM CDT, Jim Wysocki <wysocki1@...> wrote:

OK, going in through the %localappdata%\HamApps\JTAlert\W9FI\Config\ pathway leads me to a different place.  That config file only contains a 5k Decodes History V3.config file and nothing else.  "Callsigns_1.config" & "Callsigns_1.config.json" are not not there.  In opening the Decodes History file with Notepad, it appears to contain both binary and ASCII data.  I'll send you a copy of it via your other email address.

73, Jim

On 7/14/2021 1:25 PM, Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:

On 15/07/2021 6:14 am, Jim Wysocki wrote:

Laurie, the config file only contains two more files, JTAlert and JTAlertX.  Each of these files contains config.sqlite records.  "Callsigns_1.config" & "Callsigns_1.config.json" are not not within the W9FI\config folder.

Jim

Your in the wrong config directory if your seeing "JTAlert" & "JTAlertX" sub-directories.

There are two config directories, one with above mentioned sub-directories is used by the main JTAlert. They contain config.sqlite files. These are not what you want. The other which contains the Callsigns_1.config file is the one causing the problems. See this post for the fix https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/message/36310

de

Jim Wysocki

[...]

Michael Black

[...]

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 15/07/2021 6:21 am, Jim Wysocki wrote:

Thanks for the advice, Bill.  I've already tried the uninstall/reinstall process, although in my case the earlier version was 2.16.14.  The next step is probably to uninstall 2.50.3, install 2.50.2, and then test the results.  But before doing that I'll wait for Laurie's advice.  He now has a copy of my HamApps folder and I want to see if he finds anything in there that will cause problems.  He just got the folder and he'll need a bit of time to examine it.

73,  Jim  W9FI

Already examined. Check you inbox for my answer & solution.

Thanks
de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA

[...]

On 7/14/2021 12:50 PM, Bill Stott W4XK via groups.io wrote:
I installed the new version of JTAlert recently and had most of the problems that had been mentioned. Inability to open windows
from the view list, very sluggish responses, sound problems, etc. I rolled back to 2.50.2 and everything was back to normal. Then
today I followed Laurie's advice to uninstall the older version, make sure you were using .net and JTAlert 64 bit versions and then
install the latest JTAlert version. The new version is running flawlessly and I have had no problems, at least with the functions and
windows that I normally use and others that I have tried. This on a machine running Windows 10 home edition, updated with all
the latest updates, 64 bit OS. Try it, you'll like it!

Bill  W4XK

Jim Wysocki

Laurie, the config file only contains two more files, JTAlert and JTAlertX.  Each of these files contains config.sqlite records.  "Callsigns_1.config" & "Callsigns_1.config.json" are not not within the W9FI\config folder.

Jim

On 7/14/2021 12:46 PM, Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:

On 15/07/2021 5:35 am, Jim Wysocki wrote:

JTAlert is whitelisted, so PCMatic stays out of its way.  Those warnings are just timestamped notes that an app on the exception list passed by.

There is nothing on Event Viewer for any HamApps application.  All of the other activity was from MSInstaller, updating .NET.

Yes, I'll zip up the directory and email it to you.

Jim  W9FI

Tnx Jim,

Something to try...
  • With a failing JTAlert 2.50.3 install
  • stop JTAlert then delete any files starting with "Callsigns_" in the %localappdata%\HamApps\JTAlert\<your_callsign>\Config\ directory. When using a single JTAlert instance there will be 2 files "Callsigns_1.config" & "Callsigns_1.config.json".
  • Then start JTAlert.
  • Are you able to now bring up the different "yellow stared" windows under the "View" menu of the main JTAlert window?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill Stott W4XK

[...]

Correction noted.

On 7/14/2021 11:43 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 15/07/2021 4:40 am, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) via groups.io wrote:
zip up your HamApps directory located under $localappdata%

that should be %localappdata%

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim Wysocki

JTAlert is whitelisted, so PCMatic stays out of its way.  Those warnings are just timestamped notes that an app on the exception list passed by.

There is nothing on Event Viewer for any HamApps application.  All of the other activity was from MSInstaller, updating .NET.

Yes, I'll zip up the directory and email it to you.

Jim  W9FI

On 7/14/2021 11:40 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 15/07/2021 4:09 am, Jim Wysocki wrote:

After that it was followed by what appeared to be an infinite loop of jtalertv2.manager.exe reopenings.  I closed all of these programs after a couple of minutes.  The system clock indicated a repeated pattern of jtalertv2.manager.exe reopening after 5 or 6 seconds.

I hope these clues were instructive.  Now I'm going to uninstall NET 5.0.7 and replace it with 5.0.8.  I'll report back with the test results.

73,  Jim  W9FI

Jim,

Perhaps pcmatic is interfering with this new release of JTAlert?

The repeated looping is JTAlert.exe process restarting JTAlertV2.Manager.exe process. The Manger faulting is the problem.  The Manager faulting is typically caused when running JTAlert 2.50.1 or earlier against NET 5.0.7 caused by a defect in 5.0.7 or when running JTAlert against an incompatible NET runtime. There may be other issues that I am unaware of causing the Manager to fault.

Is there anything in your Event logs pertaining to errors thrown by JTAlertV2.Manager.exe specifically?

if you don't mind, could you zip up your HamApps directory located under $localappdata% and put it up on dropbox or similar? If you can do that please email me directly (vk3ama.ham.apps [at] gmail.com) the download link. Thanks

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 15/07/2021 4:47 am, Jim Wysocki wrote:

I installed .NET 5.0.8 and there was no change in JTAlert's behavior.  Same symptoms.  Now I'm going to uninstall version 2.50.3 and replace it with version 2.50.2.  Test results will follow.

Jim  W9FI
What is event viewer showing with respect to the JTALertV2.Manager.exe faulting?

Have you tried disabling pcmatic, it could be interferring. I note it was mentioned explicitly in your posted event xml for JTAlertV2.Manager.exe

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim Wysocki

On 7/14/2021 11:09 AM, Jim Wysocki wrote:
[...]

I backed up the event log and then erased it, so that I could get a fresh start on the current events.  Then I started up WSJT-X and JTAlert.  JTAlert behaved exactly the same as it did last night, with occasional WSJT transactions being displayed.  I then terminated both apps and went to event log.  There were no errors but plenty of warning messages displayed.  They all were generated by PCMatic, showing the following.

This was displayed in the Event Properties screen's General tab.  It's the "Friendly" view.

"The system cannot find the file specified."

That's a direct paste from the tab.  This was displayed in the Details tab.

"User allowed unknown application at: c:\program files (x86)\hamapps\jtalert\pluginsx\jtalertv2.manager.exe"

Here's the XML Event view of that message.

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="pcmatic" />
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">2</EventID>
  <Version>0</Version>
  <Level>3</Level>
  <Task>1</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
  <EventRecordID>46806</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
  <Channel>Application</Channel>
  <Computer>CBAWorkstation</Computer>
  <Security />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>User allowed unknown application at: c:\program files (x86)\hamapps\jtalert\pluginsx\jtalertv2.manager.exe</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>

The very first warning messages were to note the opening of several modules of the DXLab suite, and other related software apps like DXAtlas.  The warning message only appeared once for each of them.  The event log then noted the opening of wsjtx.exe and jt9.exe.  This was followed by one instance of JTAlert.exe opening and then jtalertv2manager.exe.  This was followed by the opening of jtalertv2.decodes.exe, and the reopening of jtalertv2.manager.exe.   After that it was followed by what appeared to be an infinite loop of jtalertv2.manager.exe reopenings.  I closed all of these programs after a couple of minutes.  The system clock indicated a repeated pattern of jtalertv2.manager.exe reopening after 5 or 6 seconds.

I hope these clues were instructive.  Now I'm going to uninstall NET 5.0.7 and replace it with 5.0.8.  I'll report back with the test results.

73,  Jim  W9FI

On 7/14/2021 2:34 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 14/07/2021 11:45 am, Jim Wysocki wrote:

udio and Visual Alerts ran on a consistent cycle, at about 3 seconds on and 3 seconds off, repeatedly.

Maybe this is typical behavior or not; I can't tell but you'll know the answer.

73,  Jim  W9FI

No, not normal behavior. That indicates that the Manager is faulting and JTAlert is restarting it. 3 seconds sounds about right as the process is not faulting immediately and JTAlert will likely not see that it has gone AWOL as it only polls every 2 seconds.

Both JTAlert.exe and JTAlertV2.Manager.exe should run continuously.

See my other response here.

de Laurie VK3AMA

rsagun

I had the same problems as Jim W9FI.  I did several restarts and was upgrading from 2.50.2.  No success.  Also I noticed that sound wasn't working either.

Thanks,

Ross W6RSS

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)