locked Failure to Alert On 13 Colonies European Calls

Stan Edwards - WA4DYD

During the 13 Colonies even, I set up to alert on each of the special event callsigns.  It worked great for all but the two calls in Europe.  The only thing is that the calls are seven characters long.  Is there an issue with that length of call?  Curious...

Thanks for a great program to augment WSJT-X.

Regards,
Stan Edwards, WA4DYD

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/07/2021 7:59 am, Stan Edwards - WA4DYD wrote:
During the 13 Colonies even, I set up to alert on each of the special event callsigns.  It worked great for all but the two calls in Europe.  The only thing is that the calls are seven characters long.  Is there an issue with that length of call?  Curious...

Thanks for a great program to augment WSJT-X.

Regards,
Stan Edwards, WA4DYD

No, there is no character limit on Callsigns for the Wanted Callsigns Alert. I just now tested using all 26 characters of the alphabet. JTAlert accepted that entry, your chances of decoding that callsigns is nil, but JTAlert doesn't care.

What are these two callsigns that are failing?
Is there anything unusual in their decode message structure?
Please provide an example of a decode for one of these callsigns that didn't generate the Wanted Callsign Alert.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stan Edwards - WA4DYD

The calls are GB13COL and TM13COL. WSJT-X divided okay.

Thanks,
Stan Edwards

Jim Cooper

On 6 Jul 2021 at 8:49, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:

Please provide an example of a
decode for one of these callsigns
that didn't generate the Wanted
Callsign Alert.
fwiw, I used Wanted Callsign for
WM3PEN
GB13COL
TM13COL

and they all worked just fine.

w2jc

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/07/2021 9:00 am, Stan Edwards - WA4DYD wrote:
The calls are GB13COL and TM13COL.   WSJT-X divided okay.

Thanks,
Stan Edwards

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "WSJT-X divided okay"

Please provide an example of a decode message for one of these callsigns that didn't generate the Wanted Callsign Alert. I need an exact message so I can run some tests to try and reproduce the failure.

On 6/07/2021 9:01 am, Jim Cooper wrote:
fwiw, I used Wanted Callsign for
  WM3PEN
  GB13COL
  TM13COL

and they all worked just fine.

w2jcTnx Jim,

I too am not experiencing any problems with the 13 Colony EU callsigns.

Before adding GB13COL to the Wanted Callsigns list..

After adding to the Wanted Callsigns list, note the color change and the callsign now appearing in the "Alert Wanted Call" view.

I can fault the behavior.

On 6/07/2021 9:01 am, Jim Cooper wrote:
fwiw, I used Wanted Callsign for
  WM3PEN
  GB13COL
  TM13COL

and they all worked just fine.

w2jc

Tnx Jim,

I too am not experiencing any problems with the 13 Colony EU callsigns.

Before adding GB13COL to the Wanted Callsigns list..

After adding to the Wanted Callsigns list, note the color change and the callsign now appearing in the "Alert Wanted Call" view.

I can fault the behavior.

de Laurie VK3AMA

David Levy

I have the same issues with K2I.

David

K3dfl

I assume it is a similar problem

On 6/07/2021 9:33 am, David Levy wrote:

I have the same issues with K2I.

David

K3dfl

I assume it is a similar problem

How have you entered the Callsign in the Wanted Callsigns Alert list?
Is it the correct spelling?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stan Edwards - WA4DYD

Autocorrect divided should have been decoded.

Attached is a screen shot of the decodes for which no audible alert was given for “Wanted Call.”  I was not watching the Alerts screen to see if it was displayed there.

Regards,

Stan Edwards, WA4DYD

Stan Edwards - WA4DYD

Autocorrect: divided should have been decoded.

Attached is a screen shot of the decodes for which no audible alert was given for “Wanted Call.”  That may make a difference: audible vs visual.  I was not watching the Alerts screen to see if it was displayed there.

Regards,

Stan Edwards, WA4DYD

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 6/07/2021 1:33 pm, Stan Edwards - WA4DYD wrote:

Autocorrect divided should have been decoded.

Attached is a screen shot of the decodes for which no audible alert was given for “Wanted Call.”  I was not watching the Alerts screen to see if it was displayed there.

Regards,

Stan Edwards, WA4DYD

_._,_._,_

A screen-shot of WSJT-X doesn't help diagnose the problem. I already know that GB13COL is not alerting for you. What I need to know is how is the Callsign entered in the JTAlert Settings? Is the Callsign spelt correctly? Are you trying to use a wildcard in the Callsign definition?

The problem is very likely how you have that Callsign entered in the Settings. GB13COL works correctly in my tests and some of the Test Team have reported that it is working correctly.

Exactly, how is the Callsign entered in JTAlert? Post an image of the JTAlert Settings showing the callsign entry.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stan Edwards - WA4DYD

More investigating:

For whatever reason, even though I'm seeing the calls decoded in WSJT-X, they are never being displayed in the decodes screen of JT Alert nor being  announced audibly.  I'll see 20 - 30 other decodes on the JT Alert screen, but not the special event station.

I'm running WSJT-X 2.4.0 with JTAlert 2.50.2.

Thanks again for looking at this issue.

Regards,
Stan Edwards, WA4DYD

Michael Black

Got a screen snapshot?

Mike W9MDB

On 7/07/2021 8:10 am, Stan Edwards - WA4DYD wrote:
For whatever reason, even though I'm seeing the calls decoded in WSJT-X, they are never being displayed in the decodes screen of JT Alert nor being  announced audibly.

Sounds like you have filtering enabled in JTAlert and the Callsigns are not getting past the Filter(s).

Does JTAlert show the word "Filter" in the titlebar text? If so that will likely be the problem.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stan Edwards - WA4DYD

Sent one earlier.

Stan Edwards

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 7/07/2021 9:10 am, Stan Edwards - WA4DYD wrote:
Sent one earlier.

Stan Edwards
Your JTAlert image shows "Filter" in the titlebar text.
What Filters do you have active?

My guess (I hate guessing, but with out the previously requested information that is all I am left with) is that you have a QSL filter set and that the 13 colonies EU callsign that is not alerting does not use the set QSL method.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Stan Edwards - WA4DYD

Laurie, these are screen shots of the two pages referenced.  Sorry I missed what you were looking for.  I tried both formats of the call I saw in the decoded display on WSJT-X as you will see in the screen shot of wanted calls.  I tried all afternoon yesterday and saw TM13COL many times without a single alert showing up.  I'm not familiar with the information passed between the two applications, so cannot speak to any reasoning why the two XX13COL calls do not seem to be crossing over, especially when others have seen success.  Are their other filters I'm overlooking?  It is puzzling that all the other calls worked and the problem seems confined to these two.  It's the first time I've tried using this feature for the special callsigns.

Thanks again for taking a look.

Regards,
Stan Edwards, WA4DYD

Jim N6VH

On 7/7/2021 8:02 AM, Stan Edwards - WA4DYD wrote:
[...]

I see one thing that might be causing the problem. You have "LOTW or eQSL(AG) member" checked. Even though TM13COL has uploaded to LOTW, I don't think the call has made it into the most recent database that Laurie uses. I checked the database "fcc_lotw_eqsl.sqlite" and didn't find the call there.

A new database comes out frequently, so that call might be in the next one. In the meantime, uncheck that filter and see if that helps.

73,

Jim N6VH

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 8/07/2021 1:02 am, Stan Edwards - WA4DYD wrote:
saw TM13COL many times without a single alert showing up.  I'm not familiar with the information passed between the two applications, so cannot speak to any reasoning why the two XX13COL calls do not seem to be crossing over, especially when others have seen success.
TM13COL and GB13COL didn't alert or even display in JTAlert because of your filtering. You have the "LoTW or eQSL"  filter set. Any decoded callsigns that doesn't meet those QSL requirements will not be alerted or displayed.

You need to turn of the Filter if you want alerting on those callsigns.

Callsign QSL usage is recorded in the HamApps Callsign database. Neither TM13COL and GB13COL are in that database because at the time it was created neither station was using LoTW or Eqsl.

I just now (within the last hour) did a callsign database rebuild in preparation for distribution. Both Callsigns are still not listed.

While TM13COL is shown on the Lotw website as having done an upload at 2021-07-06 12:33:59Z, that is not reflected in the latest membership download file provided by Lotw, the file upon which the the database is created. That file list the most recent uploads as
2012-07-04, nothing later.

Until the Lotw membership file is updated with more recent activity there is nothing I can do about the inaccuracies with the JTAlert Callsigns database. I don't know how frequently the LoTW membership file is updated or on what day of the week.

My recommendation... If you're going to chase special events like 13 Colonies turn off the Filtering you have set in JTAlert to avoid stations not displaying/alerting.

de Laurie VK3AMA