locked Feature Suggestion Allow specifying eQSL AG activity date#FT8

Jim N6VH

Another related issue is that various loggers don't necessarily have
the same listing for the counties.
ADIF have standardized spelling and format (based on the USA-CA spec.).
Simply convert the input(s) to that format.

The bigger issue will be stations in "independent cities" ...

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV
Joe,

Good point. However, the adif export  for Alaska stations, for example, lists the boroughs, not the Judicial Districts, so something would need to be done to convert to Judicial Districts. I checked Log4OM, DXLab and ACLog. Of course, that doesn't address the issue of what source would be used for JTAlert to check. If that source has the counties, boroughs, etc listed as per USA-CA, then that would be useful. And I agree, the bigger issue is definitely the independent cities.

Some other posts mentioned LOTW. As you said, it is doubtful if anything will be done for USA-CA in the near (or even distant) future. For that matter, LOTW confirmations use Alaska boroughs, not Judicial Districts. It seems the only source for electronic QSLs is eQSL, which does use Judicial Districts.

73,

Jim N6VH

Joe Subich, W4TV

The best solution would be for ARRL to implement a county function
in LOTW similar to what is provided for CQ WAZ and WPX.
The first issue is an agreement between CQ and ARRL to cover USA-CA.
The second issue is that ARRL has *ZERO* developer resources to work
on USA-CA support in LotW after the Board stripped all developers
from LotW and the Director of IT left.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-05-07 6:57 PM, Pat N6PAT via groups.io wrote:
Laurie,
The file I'm using was included in a ham call lookup app. It appears to be a very clean derivative of the FCC file and very consistent with eQSL. I just recently started concentrating on counties and have 1,020 confirmed in eQSL ,thanks in large part to JTAlert, with every QSO county agreeing with the county in the call master file.
In terms of impacting JTAlert, I imported the call file (CSV format) into Access and queries against it take about 1 second to complete so I don't think the overhead would be noticeable.
Reviewing the eQSL activity (or lack thereof) for US hams has been interesting. Using 1/1/21 as a starting point there are only about 1,600 counties listed with any activity from US hams in eQSL. This means that you must resort to paper QSL's to get beyond the 1,500 endorsement level. Given that there are over 3,000 US counties that could be an expensive and time consuming effort to get them all. The best solution would be for ARRL to implement a county function in LOTW similar to what is provided for  CQ WAZ and WPX.
I always thought there were many more US hams currently using eQSL but that appears to not be the case. I don't consider a member who hasn't uploaded a log in the past 6 months an active user.
Looking forward to the next release.
73 Pat N6PAT

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-05-07 6:21 PM, Jim N6VH wrote:

Regarding the 777,000 master file, I assume you're referring to the official FCC database. Is that the case? My experience with that database is that County names recorded is not entirely accurate. During my County Alert implementation testing I discovered many FCC listed County names that don't exist with the official USA-CA list. What has been you're experience?

de Laurie VK3AMA

_._,_._,_
Laurie,
Thought I would add my two cents worth. There are definitely some differences between the FCC list and the USA-CA list. A very good example is Alaska. The FCC list uses the county name (actually 22 boroughs in Alaska), while USA-CA only uses the four Judicial Districts.  Another problem is spelling. The FCC list might have one spelling for a county, while the USA-CA list might have a slightly different spelling - Saint Tammany in the FCC list, St. Tammany in the USA-CA list, for example. None of these problems are insurmountable, but I wonder if the processing would have an impact on the speed of JTAlert.
Another related issue is that various loggers don't necessarily have the same listing for the counties.
73,
Jim N6VH
USA-CA 429

Pat N6PAT

[...]

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 7/05/2021 4:30 pm, Pat N6PAT via groups.io wrote:
I downloaded the eQSL AG Member List Dated file containing the date of the last upload/import for each member. The raw file had 141,441 records. After filtering for US call signs the number was down to a little over 32,000 including almost 15,000 that had no activity in at least 10 years. Of the total calls only about 12,000 had uploaded or imported QSO's into eQSL since 1/1/2020 and only about 8,000 had uploaded or imported QSO's into eQSL since the beginning of 2021.

I suggest using the eQSL dated member file and adding an option to allow specifying a Last Activity Date threshold (i.e. filter for eQSL AG who had activity within the current year or last 6 months or since a specific date). There's no point in filtering for eQSL AG ops if the majority of them haven't been active in eQSL in many years and you cannot weed out the inactive members. .

It was discussed about the possibility of adding a Wanted County feature to aid in county hunting. That would only be valuable if the suggested Last Activity Date function was included as CQ currently only accepts QSO confirmations for the County award via eQSL AG and cards. Chasing down an AG op with a QTH in a wanted county who hasn't uploaded in a decade is a waste of time .

To handle this for right now I've created a database of all AG members with activity since 1/1/2021, retrieved their county from a master file of 770,000 US ham calls and compared the result to a list of the counties I still need. I then import the results in a comma delimited text file into the Wanted Call signs function. Seems to work well.

73 Pat N6PAT

Pat thanks for putting some thought and effort into documenting your request.

I am already capturing the new Eqsl AG members file ready for inclusion into the Callsigns database. It has not yet been enabled as the changed database schema will break old versions of JTAlert. I will be creating a new database distribution for future JTAlert versions. That will take a while as utilizing the Eqsl last upload date for alerting and flagging, similar to that for LoTW, will require some significant code changes.

Be assured that Eqsl by Date flagging and alerting will be implemented, but there will likely be a number of JTAlert releases before that happens.