locked JT Alert will not run - V 2.50.0 & 2.16.17

W Ramsey <km4jok@...>

The only “PC Protection Software” on the PC is the default Windows Defender.  The Window’s Event Log is clear –

On executing JT Alert 2.16.17, the error message below is displayed after the “Reading Settings Data – Standby” pop-up box has displayed.  When I click the error box “OK” button JT-Alert crashes.

What “undeclared” variable is on Line 41603 of file JTAlert.exe that is causing the crash?  Interestingly, I don’t see the Line 41603 error when running 2.50.0 – instead the program just fails after the “Reading Settings Data – Standby” pop-up is displayed.

Is it possible a configuration item in WSJT-X 2.3.1 is causing JT-Alert to crash (not start)?

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io [mailto:Support@HamApps.groups.io] On Behalf Of HamApps Support (VK3AMA)
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2021 16:29
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] JT Alert will not run - V 2.50.0 & 2.16.17

On 29/04/2021 2:22 pm, W Ramsey wrote:

I’m on latest updated version of Windows 10 64x Home (20H2).  PC has 32GB memory, Intel i9-10850K CPU and 2TB SSD.  WSJT-X 2.3.1 functions properly.   HamAppSound 2.5.3 and HamAppsDatabases 2021.04.20 were successfully installed.

I’ve tried both JT Alert versions 2.50.0 and 2.16.17.  Both install successfully with no errors.   However each fail to run after the “Reading Settings Data – Standby” pop-up message appears then disappears.  Version 2.16.17 usually shows a Line 41603 error.  Net 5 is installed for version 2.50.0 and is correct version based on confirmation in the CMD window. 

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled both WSJT-X and JT-Alert versions 2.50.0 and 2.16.17 five (5) times.  I restarted computer after each uninstall and reinstall and the same issue is present – JT-Alert fails to run.

I tried deleting the config.sqlite file and JT Alert still fails to launch.  The only JT Alert process that loads temporarily during program start is the “Audio & Visual Alerts for WSJT-X. (32 bit)” process.  This process starts and then terminates within one second.  

I use N3FJP’s Amateur Contact Log so having JT-Alert functioning really speeds up QSO logging – when JT-Alert is functioning.

Not sure what the issue is but I have successfully used prior versions of WSJT-X and JT-Alert for years without issues.

Ideas appreciated.

Thanks –

William

William,

If repeated installs and different version installs result in an error condition it suggests something common on your PC, that doesn't change with the different installs is likely the cause. One candidate is the JTAlert config file as it doesn't get touched during multiple installs. Since you still received the error after removing the config file, that rules out a corrupt config as the cause.

My best guess is that your PC protection software (what do you use?) has now taken a dislike to JTAlert. Check that it is not now blocking JTAlert. You may have to flag JTAlert as safe to get past its interference.

Worth checking is your Windows Event log, there may be something in there that can provide a clue.

If I was a betting person, I would put my money of Protection software being the issue.

de Laurie VK3AMA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 29/04/2021 2:22 pm, W Ramsey wrote:

I’m on latest updated version of Windows 10 64x Home (20H2).  PC has 32GB memory, Intel i9-10850K CPU and 2TB SSD.  WSJT-X 2.3.1 functions properly.   HamAppSound 2.5.3 and HamAppsDatabases 2021.04.20 were successfully installed.

I’ve tried both JT Alert versions 2.50.0 and 2.16.17.  Both install successfully with no errors.   However each fail to run after the “Reading Settings Data – Standby” pop-up message appears then disappears.  Version 2.16.17 usually shows a Line 41603 error.  Net 5 is installed for version 2.50.0 and is correct version based on confirmation in the CMD window. 

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled both WSJT-X and JT-Alert versions 2.50.0 and 2.16.17 five (5) times.  I restarted computer after each uninstall and reinstall and the same issue is present – JT-Alert fails to run.

I tried deleting the config.sqlite file and JT Alert still fails to launch.  The only JT Alert process that loads temporarily during program start is the “Audio & Visual Alerts for WSJT-X. (32 bit)” process.  This process starts and then terminates within one second.  

I use N3FJP’s Amateur Contact Log so having JT-Alert functioning really speeds up QSO logging – when JT-Alert is functioning.

Not sure what the issue is but I have successfully used prior versions of WSJT-X and JT-Alert for years without issues.

Ideas appreciated.

Thanks –

William

William,

If repeated installs and different version installs result in an error condition it suggests something common on your PC, that doesn't change with the different installs is likely the cause. One candidate is the JTAlert config file as it doesn't get touched during multiple installs. Since you still received the error after removing the config file, that rules out a corrupt config as the cause.

My best guess is that your PC protection software (what do you use?) has now taken a dislike to JTAlert. Check that it is not now blocking JTAlert. You may have to flag JTAlert as safe to get past its interference.

Worth checking is your Windows Event log, there may be something in there that can provide a clue.

If I was a betting person, I would put my money of Protection software being the issue.

de Laurie VK3AMA

W Ramsey <km4jok@...>

Ideas appreciated.

Thanks –

William