locked FT4 Logging

Ed Wilson

I have been using JTAlert and the old HRD v 5.24 for many years. When FT4 was introduced, I was able to get contacts with this mode show up as FT4 in my log although I realize that by definition, FT4 is actually a sub mode of MFSK. After upgrading to JTAlert 2.50.0, FT4 contacts now are logged as MFSK. It appears that contacts are uploaded and are displayed as FT4 by LOTW and HRDLog. eQSL displays them as MFSK (FT8). Currently I am manually changing MFSK to FT4 in my log but would like them to automatically appear as FT4 as previously if possible.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Ed, K0KC

k0kc@...
http://k0kc.us/

Ed Wilson

I should have mentioned that I have only tested for this issue with JTDX, if that makes any difference.

Ed, K0KC

Paul F6EXV

FT4 must be logged as mode MFSK and submode FT4
73

Le 25/04/2021 à 15:44, Ed Wilson via groups.io a écrit :
I should have mentioned that I have only tested for this issue with JTDX, if that makes any difference.

Ed, K0KC

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-04-25 8:42 AM, Ed Wilson via groups.io wrote:
Currently I am manually changing MFSK to FT4 in my log but would like
them to automatically appear as FT4 as previously if possible.
That is no longer possible. See the Release notes on 2.50.0 Build 0004

- FT4 logging: The option to log FT4 QSOs as Mode=FT4 rather than the adif compliant specification has been removed. This affects
all Logs except ACLog.
- FT4, Q65 & FST4 logging: FT4, Q65, & FST4 mode QSOs are now logged using the official adif specifications (3.1.2) of
Mode=MFSK & Submode=Q65, FST4 & FT4 respecitvely.
Laurie would need to write special code to support HRD V5/6.2 which are
long out of date and no longer supported by the developers of that
software.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-04-25 8:42 AM, Ed Wilson via groups.io wrote:
I have been using JTAlert and the old HRD v 5.24 for many years. When FT4 was introduced, I was able to get contacts with this mode show up as FT4 in my log although I realize that by definition, FT4 is actually a sub mode of MFSK. After upgrading to JTAlert 2.50.0, FT4 contacts now are logged as MFSK. It appears that contacts are uploaded and are displayed as FT4 by LOTW and HRDLog. eQSL displays them as MFSK (FT8). Currently I am manually changing MFSK to FT4 in my log but would like them to automatically appear as FT4 as previously if possible.
Any ideas would be appreciated!
Ed, K0KC
k0kc@arrl.net
http://k0kc.us/

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 25/04/2021 10:42 pm, Ed Wilson via groups.io wrote:
I have been using JTAlert and the old HRD v 5.24 for many years. When FT4 was introduced, I was able to get contacts with this mode show up as FT4 in my log although I realize that by definition, FT4 is actually a sub mode of MFSK. After upgrading to JTAlert 2.50.0, FT4 contacts now are logged as MFSK. It appears that contacts are uploaded and are displayed as FT4 by LOTW and HRDLog. eQSL displays them as MFSK (FT8). Currently I am manually changing MFSK to FT4 in my log but would like them to automatically appear as FT4 as previously if possible.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Ed, K0KC

Do you have the "Log FT4 as ADIF 3.1.0 ..." setting ticked? If so, that's the cause. It needs to be unticked. Visit the "Logging" section of the Settings window of the main JTAlert window. Scroll the options to bring the checkbox into view.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ed Wilson

Laurie,

The "Log FT4 as ADIF 3.1.0 ..." setting does not show on my 32-bit beta version. There is just a blank line where it should be.

Ed, K0KC

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 26/04/2021 5:00 am, Ed Wilson via groups.io wrote:
Laurie,

The "Log FT4 as ADIF 3.1.0 ..." setting does not show on my 32-bit beta version. There is just a blank line where it should be.

Ed, K0KC
That's correct. That setting has been removed in the next release of JTAlert, which you have an early version of due to running the x86 beta.

The choice of ADIF FT4 compliant logging has been removed, it will always be logged as Mode=MFSK SubMode=FT4, similarly for the new MFSK modes, FST4 & Q65. The exception being the loggers that don't support SubMode, like ACLog and HRD5, they are automatically logged as Mode=FT4, etc.

de Laurie VK3AMA

K1DJE - Dave Corio

On 4/25/2021 3:12 PM, Laurie, VK3AMA wrote:

On 26/04/2021 5:00 am, Ed Wilson via groups.io wrote:
Laurie,

The "Log FT4 as ADIF 3.1.0 ..." setting does not show on my 32-bit beta version. There is just a blank line where it should be.

Ed, K0KC
That's correct. That setting has been removed in the next release of JTAlert, which you have an early version of due to running the x86 beta.

The choice of ADIF FT4 compliant logging has been removed, it will always be logged as Mode=MFSK SubMode=FT4, similarly for the new MFSK modes, FST4 & Q65. The exception being the loggers that don't support SubMode, like ACLog and HRD5, they are automatically logged as Mode=FT4, etc.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie, is DXKeeper on the list of unsupported loggers? My JTAlert 0006 is still logging as FT4 with no submode in latest release of DXKeeper.
Tnx es 73

Dave - K1DJE

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 26/04/2021 5:47 am, Dave Corio via groups.io wrote:
Laurie, is DXKeeper on the list of unsupported loggers? My JTAlert 0006 is still logging as FT4 with no submode in latest release of DXKeeper.

Tnx es 73

Dave - K1DJE

No, DXKeeper is not unsupported.

DXKeeper gets the compliant logging from JTAlert, Mode=MSFK and SubMode=FT4. Internally DXKeeper simply remaps this to Mode=FT4 and remaps on adif export. Its a trivial exercise for a Logger author to perform if the logger doesn't support SubMode recording, as it is all done internally away from the gaze of the user. This is why most main stream-loggers (with one notable exception) were able to quickly switch to handling the new MSFK mode designations without a need for altering the database schema of the log.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Laurie, is DXKeeper on the list of unsupported loggers? My JTAlert
0006 is still logging as FT4 with no submode in latest release of
DXKeeper.

+ When receiving an ADIF record from JTAlert for an FT4 QSO to be logged, DXKeeper expects to receive

<Mode:4>MFSK <Submode:3>FT4

+ When displaying a logged QSO made in FT4 mode, DXKeeper shows the QSO's mode as FT4

+ If you direct DXKeeper to export a logged FT4 QSO to an ADIF file, that QSO's ADIF record will specify

<Mode:4>MFSK <Submode:3>FT4

+ ADIF is a specification for interchanging information among applications. It is not a user interface specification! There is no
need for users of a logging application to be aware that ADIF considers FT4 to be a submode of MFSK - at least not when making,
logging, and reviewing FT4 QSOs.

73,

Dave, AA6YQ