locked Win10 updates and USB device reassignments. I have a theory.

Jim Brown

I keep my PCs updated too, and I generally let them run all the time.  And I still get reassignments. Windoze updates nearly always fail to see the default sound interface on my living room/office machine, which is a USB-connected Mackie Onyx (and often after a reboot). The last two updates on the shack machine, which I initiated after a "warning," reassigned most of the USB ports.

I'm set to reboot on my command, and I shut down all running programs first. I've had bad things happen when I didn't.

73, Jim K9YC

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 4:25 PM Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:
Laurie,

I do the same as you and I have not had any issues so far.

Robie - AJ4F

On Wed, Apr 14, 2021, 5:47 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
I noted the recent flurry of messages today after the most recent Win10 update causing USB device reassignments. Both my Win10 PCs were updated today without the USB reassignments. In fact, I have never encountered the devices being reassigned as many others have. That got me thinking.

I always keep my PCs updated, I don't permanently postpone Windows updates as some have advocated to avoid the problem. Having an un-updated PC connected to the Internet is asking for trouble, likely more trouble than that caused by device reassignments, IMO. At most I postpone updates for a couple of hours.

Why don't I get these reassignment problems? My theory is that it is due to not allowing Windows to update itself while the PC is in an idle state, like 2 or 3 in the morning, as it typically wants. I have windows set to notify that updates have been download and are ready to apply. I then allow the updates while I am watching the PC, and importantly, all my connected devices are active. That is none of my connected USB devices are asleep or hibernating during the update.

I wonder if Windows is reassigning devices because during its update, devices that it was previously aware of are not found, so reassigns. If all device are connected I suspect Windows will not reassign.

Comments?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Robie - AJ4F

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-04-14 6:47 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:

Why don't I get these reassignment problems? My theory is that it is
due to not allowing Windows to update itself while the PC is in an
idle state, like 2 or 3 in the morning, as it typically wants. I have
windows set to notify that updates have been download and are ready
to apply. I then allow the updates while I am watching the PC, and
importantly, all my connected devices are active. That is none of my
connected USB devices are asleep or hibernating during the update.
I find the same. I do not leave my computers run 24 x 7. Windows will
download (and install) updates while the computers are running. When I
shutdown at the end of the day, the updates will automatically install.

In addition, I completely disable the "power saving" features of Windows
- specifically USB Selective Suspend and allowing Windows to turn off
devices (serial ports, etc.) to "save power" - *AND* I disable "fast
boot" (A.K.A. "Hybrid sleep") which forces Windows to load kernel
drivers (sound cards, serial ports, network ports, etc.) *FROM DISK*
rather than reload a snapshot of the saved kernel *on every boot-up*.

The only time I have ever had an audio problem after a Windows Update
is when one of the external devices was physically disconnected *or*
when all of the cables had become disconnected from the RealTek sound
card in the computer (the "Windows default device"). In both cases,
reconnecting the device(s) and REBOOTING (RESTARTING) Windows returned
my normal operation.

73,

... Joe, W4TV