locked 2.50 Like It

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/04/2021 1:00 pm, Terry Scaia wrote:
Once again you've done an amazing job! I'm running WIN-10 on an old and underpowered PC, but the speed and look of 2.50 is wonderful. You have hit another home run!

73 de Terry N4IYB

You will likely see further speed improvements when the old JTAlert window is finally banished. Currently all the alerting code (this is high cpu usage) and logging code still lives within the bowels of the old JTAlert, old synchronous code (no multi-threading) that has to process the decodes and send the results to the new Callsigns window, via the Manager process, as udp data. When the old code  is gone, all processing will happen within modern multi-threaded asynchronous code, which is much faster.

Also all the newly introduced 2.50.0 windows run much of their UI drawing routines within the GPU of the video card, taking stress off the CPU and utilizing much faster dedicated video drawing code of DirectX.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Terry Scaia

Laurie, Once again you've done an amazing job! I'm running WIN-10 on an old and underpowered PC, but the speed and look of 2.50 is wonderful. You have hit another home run!

73 de Terry N4IYB

Roert Baker

On 13/04/2021 11:32 am, James F. Boehner, MD via groups.io wrote:

My last computer on Windows 7 is my FT8 computer.  Fortunately, the 64-bit 5.0.5 framework loaded without a hitch.  I do not have the paid updates (I didn’t know they existed).  My Windows version is 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1.

’73 de JIM N2ZZ

Good to hear. I suspect however, that eventually, the .NET 5 runtime will have issues with Win7 SP1 per the Microsoft announcement. Likely the intention is that Win7 will not be supported without the ESU, but the underlying code has not reached that point or they simply forgot to enable a switch. Only time will tell.

de Laurie VK3AMA

WB8ASI Herb

Sweet........JTA was great to start with and now getting better all the time.   Can't imagine operating WSJTX without it.  Thanks for all your dedication. 73, Herb WB8ASI

Tim N3XX

Thanks Laurie. I like to keep the JTAlert window on screen, but it was just getting in the way with it being so long. Any change would be low priority, and I'm just keeping it minimized now, opening it when needed. I can certainly wait for the complete elimination of that window.

Thanks for all you do for all of us!

73,
Tim - N3XX

On 2021-04-14 3:55 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 14/04/2021 10:55 pm, Tim N3XX wrote:
Will there be any way to resize the JTAlert window?  It doesn't require as much horizontal space now that decoded callsigns are no longer displayed in that window.  I would like to make it smaller left to right, so that it will take up less space.

Thanks --- 73,
Tim - N3XX
Short answer is No.
Long answer...
That window is currently fixed in size due to the Log fields and Confirmed Bands/Modes displays that are still present. Once they are removed from the old JTAlert window, that window looses the reason for its own existence. The window will be resized leaving just the current menus, or what is left of them as more of those get migrated to the new feature windows. Eventually, JTAlert will become a single-instance windowless controlling application with just an icon in the Windows notification area or a small floating toolbar, I haven't decided which or if I will make that a user-choice option, probably the latter.

[...]

Jim N6VH

On 13/04/2021 1:43 pm, Jon KM8V wrote:
Personally, I'd love to ditch the "main" window for the callsigns window, if there was a way to get to the menu from there.

That's coming. Not immediately, the remaining components of the main JTAlert window, Logging fields, the Confirmed Bands/Mode display as well as some miscellaneous popups need to be migrated over to the new code base.

Eventually, there will be no main JTAlert window, just an icon in the Windows notification area or perhaps a small floating toolbar. I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning towards a small toolbar, or perhaps a choice between the two. I'm big on allowing user choice, hi.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Laurie,

I vote for user choice.

73,

Jim N6VH

Tim N3XX

Yes, I was hoping it could be made resizable, but no big deal if it requires much work to change.

73,
Tim - N3XX

On 2021-04-14 9:37 AM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
That one is fixed size....I imagine that will be sizable when it's replaced in the future.
Mike W9MDB
On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 08:23:00 AM CDT, Tim N3XX <n3xx@charter.net> wrote:
Thanks Mike, but I wasn't referring to the new Callsigns window.  I
would like to resize the old JTAlert window.
73,
Tim - N3XX
On 2021-04-14 8:58 AM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
> Right-click the gear icon and see if you have "Window size locked"
checked.

> Mike W9MDB
>

> On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 07:55:47 AM CDT, Tim N3XX
> <n3xx@charter.net <mailto:n3xx@charter.net>> wrote:
>

> Will there be any way to resize the JTAlert window?  It doesn't require
> as much horizontal space now that decoded callsigns are no longer
> displayed in that window.  I would like to make it smaller left to
> right, so that it will take up less space.
>
> Thanks --- 73,
> Tim - N3XX
>
> On 2021-04-13 7:54 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
>  > On 13/04/2021 1:43 pm, Jon KM8V wrote:
>  >> Personally, I'd love to ditch the "main" window for the callsigns
>  >> window, if there was a way to get to the menu from there.
>  >
>  > That's coming. Not immediately, the remaining components of the main
>  > JTAlert window, Logging fields, the Confirmed Bands/Mode display
as well
>  > as some miscellaneous popups need to be migrated over to the new code
> base.
>  >
>  > Eventually, there will be no main JTAlert window, just an icon in the
>  > Windows notification area or perhaps a small floating toolbar. I
haven't
>  > decided yet, but I am leaning towards a small toolbar, or perhaps a
>  > choice between the two. I'm big on allowing user choice, hi.
>  >
>  > de Laurie VK3AMA
>  >
>  >

Michael Black

On 2021-04-14 8:58 AM, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
> Right-click the gear icon and see if you have "Window size locked" checked.
>
> Mike W9MDB
>

> On Wednesday, April 14, 2021, 07:55:47 AM CDT, Tim N3XX
> <n3xx@...> wrote:
>

> Will there be any way to resize the JTAlert window?  It doesn't require
> as much horizontal space now that decoded callsigns are no longer
> displayed in that window.  I would like to make it smaller left to
> right, so that it will take up less space.
>
> Thanks --- 73,
> Tim - N3XX
>
> On 2021-04-13 7:54 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
>  > On 13/04/2021 1:43 pm, Jon KM8V wrote:
>  >> Personally, I'd love to ditch the "main" window for the callsigns
>  >> window, if there was a way to get to the menu from there.
>  >
>  > That's coming. Not immediately, the remaining components of the main
>  > JTAlert window, Logging fields, the Confirmed Bands/Mode display as well
>  > as some miscellaneous popups need to be migrated over to the new code
> base.
>  >
>  > Eventually, there will be no main JTAlert window, just an icon in the
>  > Windows notification area or perhaps a small floating toolbar. I haven't
>  > decided yet, but I am leaning towards a small toolbar, or perhaps a
>  > choice between the two. I'm big on allowing user choice, hi.
>  >
>  > de Laurie VK3AMA
>  >
>  >

Tim N3XX

On 2021-04-13 7:54 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
> On 13/04/2021 1:43 pm, Jon KM8V wrote:
>> Personally, I'd love to ditch the "main" window for the callsigns
>> window, if there was a way to get to the menu from there.
>
> That's coming. Not immediately, the remaining components of the main
> JTAlert window, Logging fields, the Confirmed Bands/Mode display as well
> as some miscellaneous popups need to be migrated over to the new code
base.

> Eventually, there will be no main JTAlert window, just an icon in the
> Windows notification area or perhaps a small floating toolbar. I haven't
> decided yet, but I am leaning towards a small toolbar, or perhaps a
> choice between the two. I'm big on allowing user choice, hi.
>
> de Laurie VK3AMA

Michael Black

On 2021-04-13 7:54 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
> On 13/04/2021 1:43 pm, Jon KM8V wrote:
>> Personally, I'd love to ditch the "main" window for the callsigns
>> window, if there was a way to get to the menu from there.
>
> That's coming. Not immediately, the remaining components of the main
> JTAlert window, Logging fields, the Confirmed Bands/Mode display as well
> as some miscellaneous popups need to be migrated over to the new code base.
>
> Eventually, there will be no main JTAlert window, just an icon in the
> Windows notification area or perhaps a small floating toolbar. I haven't
> decided yet, but I am leaning towards a small toolbar, or perhaps a
> choice between the two. I'm big on allowing user choice, hi.
>
> de Laurie VK3AMA

Tim N3XX

On 2021-04-13 7:54 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
On 13/04/2021 1:43 pm, Jon KM8V wrote:
Personally, I'd love to ditch the "main" window for the callsigns window, if there was a way to get to the menu from there.
That's coming. Not immediately, the remaining components of the main JTAlert window, Logging fields, the Confirmed Bands/Mode display as well as some miscellaneous popups need to be migrated over to the new code base.
Eventually, there will be no main JTAlert window, just an icon in the Windows notification area or perhaps a small floating toolbar. I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning towards a small toolbar, or perhaps a choice between the two. I'm big on allowing user choice, hi.

On 13/04/2021 2:38 pm, G. E. Janssens - K5WW wrote:
Many fantastic, and welcomed improvements and new features!

Including the very last one on the list, which has been a pain in my lower back for years. I know, minor gripe (which I never reported - mea culpa)

Erik - K5WW
What list are you referring too, and what is the last one on that list? I am curious.

On 13/04/2021 1:43 pm, Jon KM8V wrote:
Personally, I'd love to ditch the "main" window for the callsigns window, if there was a way to get to the menu from there.

That's coming. Not immediately, the remaining components of the main JTAlert window, Logging fields, the Confirmed Bands/Mode display as well as some miscellaneous popups need to be migrated over to the new code base.

Eventually, there will be no main JTAlert window, just an icon in the Windows notification area or perhaps a small floating toolbar. I haven't decided yet, but I am leaning towards a small toolbar, or perhaps a choice between the two. I'm big on allowing user choice, hi.

de Laurie VK3AMA

mma2

Laurie,

Just installed v2.50 on my Win10 PC and am amazed at the improvements!  I’ve been using the various versions of JTAlert for 8 years and have loved your app.  This is the very best version yet!

Thank you for a wonderful app!!!

Blessings,

Rick

K6HOM

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Mike G0LQI

Very good Laurie and, as you have said before, there is a treasury of adjustments behind the little cog wheel. Perhaps you ought to label it, "Open Sesame".
vy 73 Mike G0LQI

G. E. Janssens - K5WW

Many fantastic, and welcomed improvements and new features!

Including the very last one on the list, which has been a pain in my lower back for years. I know, minor gripe (which I never reported - mea culpa) but...

Thanks Laurie!

73,

Erik - K5WW

Jon KM8V

I like it too. Very nice, Laurie!

Personally, I'd love to ditch the "main" window for the callsigns window, if there was a way to get to the menu from there.

Also it'd be cool if in addition to DX Call in the status bar, there was an option to display the other information that gets looked up in the main window, like Name, QTH, Grid, Country, State, CQZ, ITUZ, Continent and a QRZ button in the status bar.

Nice work! 73

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 13/04/2021 11:32 am, James F. Boehner, MD via groups.io wrote:

My last computer on Windows 7 is my FT8 computer.  Fortunately, the 64-bit 5.0.5 framework loaded without a hitch.  I do not have the paid updates (I didn’t know they existed).  My Windows version is 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1.

’73 de JIM N2ZZ

Good to hear. I suspect however, that eventually, the .NET 5 runtime will have issues with Win7 SP1 per the Microsoft announcement. Likely the intention is that Win7 will not be supported without the ESU, but the underlying code has not reached that point or they simply forgot to enable a switch. Only time will tell.

On 13/04/2021 11:07 am, Bob WB2NVR wrote:
The only minor request/suggestion I have is to center the numbers in the Activity Window, or make it a choice. Certainly not a big deal to leave it as it is.

Bob WB2NVR
Are you talking about the tx/rx counts or the Band number? let me know.

These sort of changes are NOW very trivial to implement and the changes can be seen in real-time. I'll add the request to the todo/wish list.

FWIW, there are further changes in progress for that window and the Band Heat window.

de Laurie VK3AMA