Topics

locked mshv #HamSpots

Will JT Alert with MSHV software. Or is it in the future??
73's

--
DAVE NU4N

Tom Melvin

Sorry Dave

It will not work - Laurie has been in touch with Christo (Author of MSHV) pointing out areas needing tidied up but he has refused to make changes. He will happily support new modes developed by the wsjtx team at drop of a hat but will not make changes to allow udp messages to work.

Post over in the MSHV forum - MSHV@groups.io - perhaps if enough people comment it may appear.

I only use MSHV as it support modes WSJT-X has dropped.

Tom
GM8MJV

On 1 Mar 2021, at 15:17, Dave Tucker Nu4N <dwtucker19@...> wrote:

Will JT Alert with MSHV software. Or is it in the future??
73's

--
DAVE NU4N

Joe Subich, W4TV

No and No. MSHV have removed the UDP interfaces from the WSJTX
code on which JTAlert relies.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2021-03-01 10:17 AM, Dave Tucker Nu4N wrote:
Will JT Alert with MSHV software. Or is it in the future??
73's
--
DAVE NU4N

Thanks gents, I figured Laure would not add that. Oh well back to JTAlert no problem with that.

DAVE NU4N

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 2/03/2021 2:31 am, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

No and No.  MSHV have removed the UDP interfaces from the WSJTX
code on which JTAlert relies.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Joe,

The problem is not the removal of functionality, it is that critical status changes are not being conveyed via the UDP status message. Specifically, when ever the DXCall is changed (your QSO partner) and when there is a band change, the Status message is never generated. There is no way to know who your working or on what band when these change. The UDP status message coming from MSHV does contain this data, but it is never sent. The Status message does get generated when there is a Mode change, at which time the current DXall and Band/Frequency can be determined. Why reporting Mode changes but not Band or DXCall changes is more important is unclear to me. The UDP overhead is minor compared to the high volume decode messages.

These are show-stopper failures not just for JTAlert but any 3rd party program that wants to integrate with MSHV. Knowing who your working (to facilitate log lookups) or what band your on (to facilitate band specific alerting of wanted entities) are critical bits of information.

When this lack of Status message generation on critical status changes was pointed out to the MSHV author, his response was "this is MSHV not WSJT-X". I gave up trying to convince him this was a real problem after that exchange.

de Laurie VK3AMA