locked JTAlert Crash After Viewing Or Changing Settings

David - AK2L

Re: JTAlert 2.16.17 (and 2.16.16) / Windows 10 Pro with latest updates

Laurie,

If I view settings, without changing any, JTAlert crashes as soon as I close the settings dialog.  After re-launching everything runs fine.
If I change a setting, JTAlert crashes as soon as I close the settings dialog.  After relaunching, everything runs fine and I observe that the setting change was successful.

Before I go to the trouble of re-installing JTAlert, is there any information that I can gather that would be useful to you?

As for re-installing, is there a way to export my settings or preserve them before I uninstall JTAlert?

Where does JTAlert store settings?  After un-installing, I want to ensure that I have removed all the old data.

David, AK2L

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/02/2021 10:26 am, David wrote:
If I view settings, without changing any, JTAlert crashes as soon as I close the settings dialog.  After re-launching everything runs fine.
If I change a setting, JTAlert crashes as soon as I close the settings dialog.  After relaunching, everything runs fine and I observe that the setting change was successful.

Before I go to the trouble of re-installing JTAlert, is there any information that I can gather that would be useful to you?

As for re-installing, is there a way to export my settings or preserve them before I uninstall JTAlert?

Where does JTAlert store settings?  After un-installing, I want to ensure that I have removed all the old data.

David, AK2L

Does the crash produce an error window, if so what does it say or post an image?

The Settings are managed by an executable file, independent of the running JTAlert.exe, so closing it should not have any direct effect. PC protection software interference maybe?

All your settings are safe across an uninstall/install operation unless you use one of those cleaner apps that try to remove every last trace of an install by deleting folders in your $localappdata% directory tree and removing registry entries. If you use one of these programs and loose everything there is nothing I can do. My advice is avoid those cleaner type apps, they often create problems when none existed previously, in my experience.

In the Help file there is a topic on moving your JTAlert install to a new PC, that will give you the location of your JTAlert Configuration and supporting files. See the "Frequently Asked Questions -> Move JTAlert to a New PC" topic.

de Laurie VK3AMA

David - AK2L

No error window; JTAlert silently disappears the same way it would if I had clicked the close [x] box.

This computer is using Windows Defender.  It always complains when I download or install an update to JTAlert, but I just override the warning and tell the computer to install anyway.  Windows Defender has done this since I first started using JTAlert and I have never had a problem before now.

OK on the re-install.  I will let you know the outcome.

AK2L

David - AK2L

Uninstalled JTAlert.  Uninstalled sounds.  Uninstalled callsigns.
Installed JTAlert.  Installed sounds.  Installed callsigns.
Started JTAlert, made a minor settings change -- no problem.
Asked JTAlert to rebuild my alert database (against HRD Logger) -- no problem.
So, whatever was failing seems to be fixed!

AK2L

David - AK2L

Laurie,

I responded too soon that the program was operating normally.

I just looked at a setting in JTAlert, but changed nothing and clicked <cancel>.  JTAlert silently quit as I previously described.

I will use the "new computer" procedure for a more complete re-install, unless you have a different suggestion.

AK2L

David - AK2L

Laurie,

After following the "new computer" procedure recommended by you, the problem continued to happen.  As a last resort, I removed JTAlert completely from my computer and did not try to restore previous settings.  I instead went through the various dialogs, changing only a few items at a time, then exiting and re-launching and so on.  The problem still happens.

I like JTAlert so much that I will live with it, but if I can help you diagnose the problem, let me know.  Before starting the last install, while exploring my computer, I did come across some dump files with JTAlert in the name.

AK2L