locked Multiple instances #FT8 #JTDX

John Holmes W9ILY

Laurie,
My previous post didn't appear so I am repeating.
I have two issues. First, the 4th instance of JTAlert does not decode anything. The first 3 are OK but not #4.
Secondly, does JTAlert function with multiple instances of JTDX? The first instance is fine but not any other ones.
Thanks for your help.
John W9iLY

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 30/01/2021 9:19 am, John Holmes W9ILY wrote:
My previous post didn't appear so I am repeating.
I have two issues. First, the 4th instance of JTAlert does not decode anything. The first 3 are OK but not #4.
Secondly, does JTAlert function with multiple instances of JTDX? The first instance is fine but not any other ones.
Thanks for your help.
John W9iLY

Check the UDP server settings for your 4th instance. How do you have the UDP server settings set, are you using a multicast IP or "127.0.0.1" with unique UDP port for each instance technique? If the latter, you will likely find your 4th instance is using the same port as one of your other instances.

Send me a support request. Bring up your 4 instances, it doesn't matter that one is failing, wait 5 minutes to give JTAlert sufficient time to capture a snapshot of your running processes, before sending the support request.

There is no limit to the number of JTDX instances (expect the max 16 that JTAlert also applies to WSJT-X). Don't try an mix and match WSJT-X and JTDX instances, use one or the other.

de Laurie VK3AMA

John Holmes W9ILY

Hi Laurie.
You were exactly right, as usual! The UDP ports were not different and everything now works. One further question...can multiple "view decodes" windows be opened? When 4 instances are open and a spot is announced it is difficult to tell which decode produced the spot. Being able to scroll back would be very helpful. Also it seems that a decodes window is only launched when you choose "view decodes" from the very first instance.Thanks!
John W9iLY

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 31/01/2021 3:27 am, John Holmes W9ILY wrote:
One further question...can multiple "view decodes" windows be opened? When 4 instances are open and a spot is announced it is difficult to tell which decode produced the spot. Being able to scroll back would be very helpful. Also it seems that a decodes window is only launched when you choose "view decodes" from the very first instance.Thanks!
John W9iLY

No, the Decodes window is single-instance only. It does display all the decodes from multiple JTAlert instances.

You can restrict the decodes display to a specific JTAlert/WSJT-X instance by filtering on the "Src" column. but you will need to contend with the screen auto-scrolling if that WSJT-X instance is producing high-volume decodes.

Unfortunately, this version of the Decodes window didn't implement the "Pause" feature of the old Decodes window when I re-coded it from the old single-threaded synchronous code to using a modern language with support multi-thread synchronous code. This was not a deliberate design decision, just an oversight on my part. Now this code is obsolete and is undergoing a new rewrite (It is roucghly only 10% implemented so don't expect a release any time soon). I have stopped any further development on the existing Decodes window except for occasional critical defect fixes.

I will have a look at implementing the ability to pause the Decodes display updating, but no promises as to whether it will be implemented into the current version (It will be in the future JTAlertV3 version)

de Laurie VK3AMA