locked JTAlert locks up if too many QSO's in HRD logbook #HRD

Barry Mcdonald <bmcdon9085@...>

I have JTAlert sending to HRD logbook.  Use to work great but started locking up for a few minutes after QSO sent or clicking on anything to transmit.  Kept getting worse.  Trouble shot to JTAlert not able to get existing info from logbook such as B4.  After finally narrowing it down to this I created a new DB in HRD and this worked great.  Unfortunately This has no B4 info.  I currently have 4700 entries in HRD.  Is there a limit or solution?  If I remove about half of these it is fine.  All software is current.
Thanks,
Barry
W5CJ 

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 30/01/2021 1:00 am, Barry Mcdonald via groups.io wrote:
I have JTAlert sending to HRD logbook.  Use to work great but started locking up for a few minutes after QSO sent or clicking on anything to transmit.  Kept getting worse.  Trouble shot to JTAlert not able to get existing info from logbook such as B4.  After finally narrowing it down to this I created a new DB in HRD and this worked great.  Unfortunately This has no B4 info.  I currently have 4700 entries in HRD.  Is there a limit or solution?  If I remove about half of these it is fine.  All software is current.
Thanks,
Barry
W5CJ 

Barry,

Let me guess, you're using an Access type Log in HRD, is that correct?

4700 entries is small and is not the cause of your problems. In the past I have tested with Access logs of over 100,000 entries without issue.

In recent months there have been a not insignificant number of JTAlert/HRD users who have experienced a range of issues, the most common being increasing slowdowns. The solution in all cases was to create a new logbook in HRDLogbook, import your old QSOs into that new Log and then set JTAlert to use that new Log.

You have already created the new log, but have not performed the import of your old QSOs and that is why the B4's are not working. Your old QSO and the number of are not the problem so it is safe to import them into your new Log.

The root cause of the HRD Access log problem is unknown, I suspect something gets broken within the ODBC DSN that all HRD logs use, possibly due to Windows updates. Creating a new Log creates a new DSN after which the problems disappear.

Let us no how you get on.

de Laurie VK3AMA

I had put 1200 QSO's back in by copy and paste to give me some of the B4's and it worked good.  I deleted them all out of the new database and did an import to do it proper.  It worked perfect for about 10 minutes but when I made a contact it messed up again for about 10 minutes.  Workes great until I give it a comand like freq. change, mode change or try to make a contact.  Any other ideas?
Barry
W5CJ

Dick Bingham

Hello all

I am experiencing a similar 'lock-up' that takes up to 1-minute and 45-seconds
for the DXKeeper logging operation to release WSJT-X FT8 to begin decoding again.

Almost seems like it it tied to the 15-second RX/TX cycles of FT8.

73  Dick/w7wkr

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 11:30 AM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 30/01/2021 1:00 am, Barry Mcdonald via groups.io wrote:
Thanks,
Barry
W5CJ 

Barry,

Let me guess, you're using an Access type Log in HRD, is that correct?

4700 entries is small and is not the cause of your problems. In the past I have tested with Access logs of over 100,000 entries without issue.

In recent months there have been a not insignificant number of JTAlert/HRD users who have experienced a range of issues, the most common being increasing slowdowns. The solution in all cases was to create a new logbook in HRDLogbook, import your old QSOs into that new Log and then set JTAlert to use that new Log.

You have already created the new log, but have not performed the import of your old QSOs and that is why the B4's are not working. Your old QSO and the number of are not the problem so it is safe to import them into your new Log.

The root cause of the HRD Access log problem is unknown, I suspect something gets broken within the ODBC DSN that all HRD logs use, possibly due to Windows updates. Creating a new Log creates a new DSN after which the problems disappear.

Let us no how you get on.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim - N4ST

Barry,

Something else is causing your problem.  4,700 QSOs are not a lot for HRD Logbook.

Jim – N4ST

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barry Mcdonald via groups.io
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 09:01
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: [HamApps] JTAlert locks up if too many QSO's in HRD logbook #HRD

Thanks,
Barry
W5CJ 

--

Michael Black

Ensure you have your database file/folder excluded from anti virus programs.

Mike W9MDB

On Friday, January 29, 2021, 05:13:14 PM CST, Jim - N4ST <newsgroup@...> wrote:

Barry,

Something else is causing your problem.  4,700 QSOs are not a lot for HRD Logbook.

Jim – N4ST

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barry Mcdonald via groups.io
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2021 09:01
Subject: [HamApps] JTAlert locks up if too many QSO's in HRD logbook #HRD

Thanks,
Barry
W5CJ 

--

f8nhf

Hello friends
I have the same problem as I noticed, it happens when I change tape, when I change mode.
when I start a day everything works great for a few hours but as soon as I change the frequency or mode the blockage occurs I have to restart the PC for it to work again.
my PC win 10 64 Bits 64 of RAM intel I5 3400
hrd logboock 53007 qso
 no antivirus
73 Denis F8NHF

Antony

I am using the latest HRD with Maria Db. I have over 88K QSOs in the log and get no delays at all. JTAlert works very well with HRD. I hope you get it sorted soon.
Antivirus is active.
73, Antony G4CUS

Roger- AC6BW

I echo Anthony's comment. I have over 10K QSOs and I am using HRD with Maria DB, and there are no delays or other problems. HRD is soon going to be moving away from MS Access, due to all of the problems, and will switch over to some other database. I'm not sure, but it may be SQL.
Barry,
Copy and paste is not the best way to import your log. Backup your log to an XML file, using the usual HRD backup tool. Then create a new database. Then import the XML file into the new database.
Also, since you seem to be having problems during Tx, have you ruled out the possibility of RFI to your CAT cable or USB cable?
--
Roger
AC6BW

John Petrocelli

Just adding my 2 cents.........

For backup purposes and in addition to regular weekly backups of the system,
   there is a FREE program called "DirSyncPro"

It allows one to schedule compare and copy directories from on drive to another.

Although I do not use HRD, I still have this utility scheduled to run every 6 hours to copy my critical files to another drive on my home network.

regards all
John
John R. Petrocelli - WA2HIP
¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶¶
Primary Home Page:
   http://wa2hip.com
On 1/30/2021 8:33 PM, Roger M via groups.io wrote:
I echo Anthony's comment. I have over 10K QSOs and I am using HRD with Maria DB, and there are no delays or other problems. HRD is soon going to be moving away from MS Access, due to all of the problems, and will switch over to some other database. I'm not sure, but it may be SQL.
Barry,
Copy and paste is not the best way to import your log. Backup your log to an XML file, using the usual HRD backup tool. Then create a new database. Then import the XML file into the new database.
Also, since you seem to be having problems during Tx, have you ruled out the possibility of RFI to your CAT cable or USB cable?
--
Roger
AC6BW

Virus-free. www.avast.com

My problems with too many QSOs is resolved.  First I found some very helpful info on HRD support group.  It suggested creating a new DB and that should resolve it which I had already done once..  The only difference from when I did this before is the Access driver used.  This fixed the problem.  Then I saw in another post with very detailed instructions on setting up and using MariaDB.  This is great and fast also like several of you mentioned.  As far as I am concerned Access is toast.  HRD doesn't like it and will be moving into a SQL DB system in the near future.  Thank you very much for all the input.

Barry
W5CJ

KT7AZ

Remember to update all your backup paths as well as where your possible custom database location may be.  I have had good luck keeping my database in my Dropbox folder.
--
KT7AZ

Zach KE8BSM

Thought I’d chime in:

I’ve had zero problems with JTAlert & HRD. I use MariaDB and don’t have any issues with about 800 QSO’s in the log. MariaDB is also way more responsive generally than Access. And I backup my log to Dropbox without issues either.  73

Zach
KE8BSM

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 31/01/2021 11:28 pm, Barry Mcdonald via groups.io wrote:
My problems with too many QSOs is resolved.  First I found some very helpful info on HRD support group.  It suggested creating a new DB and that should resolve it which I had already done once..  The only difference from when I did this before is the Access driver used.  This fixed the problem.  Then I saw in another post with very detailed instructions on setting up and using MariaDB.  This is great and fast also like several of you mentioned.  As far as I am concerned Access is toast.  HRD doesn't like it and will be moving into a SQL DB system in the near future.  Thank you very much for all the input.

Barry
W5CJ

Barry,

Thanks for updating the group, good to hear all is resolved.

de Laurie VK3AMA

ka5bjc@...

This sounds like the problem I have had for half a year or so but I have HRD5. Like Barry, I exported everything, created a new database and imported everything. Seems to work so I deleted the old database and ODBC. Now I need to learn about Maria and how to get the data into it. Don't you have to define all the fields first?

Monty Wilson, NR0A

Thanks for the hint.  I have thought about the Access data base vs sql,  but it was all working without issue when I was using WSJT-X 2.2.2.  It was the upgrade to 2.3.0 that started the problems.  Yesterday, I didn’t have a link to JTALERT but was directed to the loopback selection.  When I got data flowing to JTALERT I expected normal data flow from JTALERT (version 2.16.17).  Unless there was a change made to JTALERT by the installation of WJST-X 2.3.0 that I don’t know about, all the settings in JTALERT and HRD (version 6.7.0.232).  Look normal.

Of course now, I am back to square one with no feed from WSJT-X to JTALERT.

Stumped

Monty, NR0A

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of ka5bjc@...
Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2021 03:48 PM
Subject: Re: [HamApps] JTAlert locks up if too many QSO's in HRD logbook #HRD

This sounds like the problem I have had for half a year or so but I have HRD5. Like Barry, I exported everything, created a new database and imported everything. Seems to work so I deleted the old database and ODBC. Now I need to learn about Maria and how to get the data into it. Don't you have to define all the fields first?

Darin Crowley

Getting Maria loaded and working was pretty straight forward with instructions on HRD sites.

Darin

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021, 5:41 PM <ka5bjc@...> wrote:

Monty Wilson, NR0A

Yes, I know I need to move to Maria.  However, since all of this was working under WSJT-X 2.2.2 and since the only known change to the system was the installation of WSJT-X 2.3.0., I am reluctant to make to many changes without an indication that is definitely the problem.

….of course, now I need to get WST-X and JTALERT communicating again……

Thanks

Monty, NR0A

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io <Support@HamApps.groups.io> On Behalf Of Darin Crowley
Sent: Tuesday, February 2, 2021 07:21 PM
To: Support@hamapps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] JTAlert locks up if too many QSO's in HRD logbook #HRD

Getting Maria loaded and working was pretty straight forward with instructions on HRD sites.

Darin

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021, 5:41 PM <ka5bjc@...> wrote:

neil_zampella

As mentioned in the original thread .. did you go back into WSJT-X, select the LOOPBACK selection in the UDP IP address, click on OK to save the settings, then exit WSJT-X, and JT-Alert, then restart both?    If you did, use the CONTACT SUPPORT link under the HELP menu so that Laurie will get the files he needs to assist you.

Repeating you issue in every thread about HRD doesn't help without Laurie knowing the exact environment.

Neil, KN3ILZ