locked New User of JTAlert v2.16.17 (and WSJT-X v2.2.2 and DXKeeper Logging)

Dick Bingham

Greetings All

Equipment:
DELL E6510 Laptop using WIN-7 SW
DXKeeper v15.7.2
WSJT-X v2.2.2
JTAlert v2.16.17

I have installed JTAlert and selected things like Wanted Grids and others
and Rebuild Alert Database.

Seems it is not working as I expected because OLD STUFF in the DXKeeper
database shows up in the JTAlert screen as stuff to be worked again!

What am I missing or not setting up correctly ?  Help appreciated!

GREAT SW App so far but its beauty has yet to be revealed to me.

I would like it to only display NEW contacts to work instead of things already
worked before installing JTAlert software

73  Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

Pete Ritter K5CPR

It sounds like you haven't downloaded your QSLs in DXKeeper followed by rebuild database in JTAlert.

Dick Bingham

Hello Pete

I performed a "Sync LotW QSOs" and "Sync LotW QSLs"
accessed via the DXKeeper QSL-tab ===> LotW Operations
section of the SW AND then rebuilt the Alert Database.

After completing these tasks I see a message in the
20-meter Grids Wanted section of 125 Grids NOT needed.

ALL of the other bands indicate EMPTY screens for Grids.

Puzzling to say the least! Also, way too many CQing stations
are highlighted as Wanted states even though I've already
worked them on the band in use. Again - puzzling.

73 and thanks for the reply.

Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 4:53 AM Pete Ritter via groups.io <cpritter=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
It sounds like you haven't downloaded your QSLs in DXKeeper followed by rebuild database in JTAlert.

neil_zampella

What do you have set in the TRACKING box?   Any digital mode?  Any mode?   There are a few options that may be filtering out those grids.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 02:44 AM, Dick Bingham wrote:

Hello Pete

I performed a "Sync LotW QSOs" and "Sync LotW QSLs"
accessed via the DXKeeper QSL-tab ===> LotW Operations
section of the SW AND then rebuilt the Alert Database.

After completing these tasks I see a message in the
20-meter Grids Wanted section of 125 Grids NOT needed.

ALL of the other bands indicate EMPTY screens for Grids.

Puzzling to say the least! Also, way too many CQing stations
are highlighted as Wanted states even though I've already
worked them on the band in use. Again - puzzling.

73 and thanks for the reply.

Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

Dick Bingham

GM Neil

Thanks for the follow-up.

I just finished going thru the JTAlert "HELP" file stuff and can find
ZERO info about the "Tracking" box you mentioned.

In the Settings ===> "Wanted US States" window
- Enable Wanted State Alert checked
- All States checked
- By State Code checked
- By Individual Bands selected
- Any WSJT-X mode selected
- Band Enable and Select  all checked In settings ===> "Wanted State" window
- Enable Wanted Grid Alert checked
and the ONLY band window that has any worked grids displayed is 20-meters.
All other bands (I have many Q's in the database) have empty windows when
selected to see progress.

73 Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 6:20 AM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

What do you have set in the TRACKING box?   Any digital mode?  Any mode?   There are a few options that may be filtering out those grids.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 02:44 AM, Dick Bingham wrote:

Hello Pete

I performed a "Sync LotW QSOs" and "Sync LotW QSLs"
accessed via the DXKeeper QSL-tab ===> LotW Operations
section of the SW AND then rebuilt the Alert Database.

After completing these tasks I see a message in the
20-meter Grids Wanted section of 125 Grids NOT needed.

ALL of the other bands indicate EMPTY screens for Grids.

Puzzling to say the least! Also, way too many CQing stations
are highlighted as Wanted states even though I've already
worked them on the band in use. Again - puzzling.

73 and thanks for the reply.

Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

neil_zampella

Dick,

the options are located on the Enable Grid -> BANDS setting under the Tracking box, there are TWO pull down selections, The first shows how to track grids, any band or by individual band, and the next pull down will have four selections, any mode, by individual mode (JT9, JT65, FT8, FT4), any digital mode, and Any WSJT-X Mode.

If you have non-digital, and/or non-WSJT-X mode QSOs, and don't have any mode, or any digital mode selected, you may have filtered out those QSOs.

FWIW ... the JT-Alert help system is a work in-progress.  If Laurie ever finds the time from adding requested additions, or assisting users, he may be able to update that.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On Mon, Dec 21, 2020 at 03:05 PM, Dick Bingham wrote:

[...]

Good Morning Neil

OK, I finally recognize the TRACKING word in the Grid section - Duh !

I just did not see that word (tracking) in any of the HELP or the settings main window.

What I now find puzzling are the displays in the "Grid Squares NOT Wanted"
BIG window:

- ANY BAND selected in the tracking window displays 267 G-S NOT needed

- BY INDIVIDUAL BAND selected I see ===>
-- 160M ==> "0 of 32400 GS NOT Needed"
-- 80M ===> "0 of 32400 GS NOT Needed
-- 60M ===> "0 of 32400 GS NOT Needed
-- 40M ===> "0 of 32400 GS NOT Needed
-- 30M ===> "0 of 32400 GS NOT Needed
-- 20M ===> "125 of 32400 GS NOT Needed
-- 17M ===> "0 of 32400 GS NOT Needed
-- 15M ===> "0 of 32400 GS NOT Needed
and the same for the other higher freq bands

Where are the missing 142 (267 - 125)  Grids ?
Is this a BUG ?

Little-by-little, I am getting better at understanding
this SW. Still seeing decoded CQ's as new contacts but
seeing "B4" when I call them.

73  Dick/w7wkr

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 8:22 AM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

[...]

OK ... I trust that you adjusted the GRID tracking filters properly, and ran the 'rescan' log to update the JT-Alert data?

Neil, KN3ILZ

Jim AC9ZL

Sounds to me like you JTAlert is not linked to DXKeeper, and you are only seeing the contacts in your WSJT-X log.

To check this, in DXKeeper banner, you should see how many contacts you have logged. Mine says DXKeeper 15.8.9 [CC,PF] - AF5FH.mdb: 5571 QSOs. Your number of QSOs will be different, of course.

Next, in JTAlert, click Settings, Rebuild Alert Database, and then click Rebuild All (enabled). A Log Scan - DXLab DXKeeper window should appear, and it will quickly at the top flash Loading xxxx of 5571 QSOs, followed by a series of Scanning Log: Band - xxx messages. The number of QSOs in the Log Scan windows has to exactly match the number of QSOs that DXKeeper has logged.

Let us know if the numbers of QSOs match. If they do not, verify that Enable DXLab DXKeeper logging is enabled in Settings, Logging, DXLab DXKeeper.

73, Jim AF5FH

Dick Bingham

Greeting ALL - Jim and Neil in particular

I will respond "Inside" Jim's text space to ensure nothing is left out...  Dick/w7wkr
Sounds to me like you JTAlert is not linked to DXKeeper, and you are only seeing the contacts in your WSJT-X log.

To check this, in DXKeeper banner, you should see how many contacts you have logged. Mine says DXKeeper 15.8.9 [CC,PF] - AF5FH.mdb: 5571 QSOs. Your number of QSOs will be different, of course.
On my DXKeeper Banner , I see 900-plus QSOs indicated AND I only see QSO logged in the DXKeeper ..\..\databases\W7WKR.mdb LOG going back to August, 2020.
LotW shows I have over 9000 QSO in their database.

In a file at c:\DXLab\DXKeeper\Databases\LotW_QSOs_ADI I see 9074 QSOs logged. Is logging being sent to the wrong file ?

THEN after some messing-around (unfortunately I did not paper-record each step for later review) the DXKeeper banner displayed (DXKeeper 15.7.2 - w7wkr.mdb : 9883 QSO)

 Now JTAlert seems to be working much better indicating many CQ's as being worked previously (B4)

Next, in JTAlert, click Settings, Rebuild Alert Database, and then click Rebuild All (enabled). A Log Scan - DXLab DXKeeper window should appear, and it will quickly at the top flash Loading xxxx of 5571 QSOs, followed by a series of Scanning Log: Band - xxx messages. The number of QSOs in the Log Scan windows has to exactly match the number of QSOs that DXKeeper has logged.
After performing the above steps many times, I now get a match between JTAlert and DXKeeper numbers.

Let us know if the numbers of QSOs match. If they do not, verify that Enable DXLab DXKeeper logging is enabled in Settings, Logging, DXLab DXKeeper.
Yes, "Enable DXkeeper ...." IS enabled.

An important step/steps was/were correctly stumbled upon and now JTAlert works like it was designed to function !

Some issues:
- A decoded directed CQ (like "CQ DX W1AW FN##") is not indicated in a 2X8 JTAlert display Cell forcing me to still examine the WSJT-X screen to minimize interfering
  with the CQer's real interest
- Do not know what the difference is between an UNDERLINED callsign (in a 2X8 cell) and one NOT underlined. Multiple reading-passes thru the SETUP selections has not
  revealed what is implied
- IF I click "OK"in the "Confirm QSO Window" while my "73" is being transmitted, the entire system freezes for tens-of-seconds before recovering - being careful to click
 "OK"  after the transmission is completed solves this problem

Thank you ALL who responded to my request for assistance. I can live with what is working now and, with more experience, probably refine some settings.

73  Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

73, Jim AF5FH

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 7:09 AM Jim AF5FH <jkajder@...> wrote:
[...]

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 24/12/2020 7:38 am, Dick Bingham wrote:
- A decoded directed CQ (like "CQ DX W1AW FN##") is not indicated in a 2X8 JTAlert display Cell forcing me to still examine the WSJT-X screen to minimize interfering
  with the CQer's real interest

You're missing decoded callsigns because your limiting the JTAlert display. The display can go to 4 lines x 9 callsigns. See the View menu.

If 36 callsign slots is not enough, you can try restricting the number displayed by using one or more Alert filters. Alternatively, use the Decodes window which will display all the callsigns in a period.

de Laurie VK3AMA

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 24/12/2020 7:38 am, Dick Bingham wrote:
- IF I click "OK"in the "Confirm QSO Window" while my "73" is being transmitted, the entire system freezes for tens-of-seconds before recovering - being careful to click
 "OK"  after the transmission is completed solves this problem

That indicates that JTAlert is stuck waiting to verify the QSO was actually written to the DXKeeper log. 10's of seconds is excessive, on a moderate PC I would expect that to be under 5 secs depending on what online activities DXKeeper is performing post logging. How reliable/fast is your internet connection? If you have DXKeeper auto-uploading to LoTW or eQSL and those services are down or slow, than delays in DXKeeper writing the QSO to the log file are normal and JTAlert will hang (as will DXKeeper) while it retries reading the log file to confirm the QSO was written.

Does JTAlert present you with a success or failure message after the logging?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dick Bingham

Hello Laurie

I guess I did not make myself clear . I am decoding call signs OK but when the CQer is
sending "CQ DX VK3AMA QF##" I do not see the "DX" part in the 'cell' with the callsign.
The State and VE parts display fine.

No change when I expand to 4 X 9 display presentation. Once I'm certain what needs to
be seen is there, the main window for WSJT-X can be collapsed and only use the JTAlert
display.

Great software ! How many development MAN-Years does JTTAlert represent ?

73  Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 2:10 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 24/12/2020 7:38 am, Dick Bingham wrote:
- A decoded directed CQ (like "CQ DX W1AW FN##") is not indicated in a 2X8 JTAlert display Cell forcing me to still examine the WSJT-X screen to minimize interfering
  with the CQer's real interest

You're missing decoded callsigns because your limiting the JTAlert display. The display can go to 4 lines x 9 callsigns. See the View menu.

If 36 callsign slots is not enough, you can try restricting the number displayed by using one or more Alert filters. Alternatively, use the Decodes window which will display all the callsigns in a period.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Dick Bingham

Hello again

I highly suspect my DELL Laptop E6510 W7 with 4G of RAM is the problem.
when the following SW is running:

- PowerSDR OpenHPSDR mRX PS v3.4.7
- Voicemeeter Banana
- WSJT-X v2.2.2
- DXKeeper 15.7.2
- JTAlert 2.16.17

The available free RAM drops below 350MB according to Win Task Manager.
I now only click "OK" in the pop-up logging window after my last transmission
has cleared. I have a reasonably fast internet connection and use a router to
connect with remote computers.

JTAlert DOES present a success or failure message after the logging has finished.
Same for the pop-up window associated with the WSJT-X logger.

What is the significance of a call displayed as AA7Aw - AZ VS AA7AW - AZ
where one 'cell' is underlined and another is not underlined ?

73  Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 2:15 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert Lorenzini

I can't respond to you're specific problems but you need to
upgrade to the latest (3.4.9) before posting a problem. There
have been fixes since 3.5.7. That may not fix your problem but
it puts us all on the same page.  Happy holidays to you and
the group.

Bob - wd6dod

On 12/23/2020 4:16 PM, Dick Bingham wrote:
[...]

Um ... you'll never see the DX in the cell ... you need to set the 'Directed Call' color in the settings which will notify you of that request by a colored band around the cell.   I use a RED color to reflect a 'directed' call.

Neil, KN3ILZ

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 24/12/2020 11:16 am, Dick Bingham wrote:
[...]

While more memory is always good, CPU usage is the most critical. What is taskmanager telling you when WSJT-X is busy processing decodes at the end of a period? What CPU usage is it indicating? If your hitting 80% or greater than that is a problem, it will cause WSJT-X (and everything else on your PC) to be slowed.

The Underline indicates that that Callsign has the Text Messages function of JTAlert enabled and is set to receive messages.

de Laurie VK3AMA

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 24/12/2020 10:52 am, Dick Bingham wrote:

I guess I did not make myself clear . I am decoding call signs OK but when the CQer is
sending "CQ DX VK3AMA QF##" I do not see the "DX" part in the 'cell' with the callsign.
The State and VE parts display fine.

No change when I expand to 4 X 9 display presentation. Once I'm certain what needs to
be seen is there, the main window for WSJT-X can be collapsed and only use the JTAlert
display.

Great software ! How many development MAN-Years does JTTAlert represent ?

73  Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

RRR.

"DX" is never explicitly displayed like a State or Province. There is however a directed CQ indicator (see the Alerts -> CQ section of the Settings) that can be displayed, "#" versus the "*" for a non-directed CQ. There is also a colored border option  that will wrap the Callsign, you can set a different color for directed CQs.

The copyright notice for JTAlert indicates it was first produced in 2011, so 10 years.

Dick Bingham

Hello Laurie

I guess it is Merry Christmas time down there in VK-Land now. I hope it is a
merry one for you and your family.

Now regarding your ===>
While more memory is always good, CPU usage is the most critical. What is taskmanager telling you when WSJT-X is busy
processing decodes at the end of a period? What CPU usage is it indicating? If your hitting 80% or greater than that is a problem,
it will cause WSJT-X (and everything else on your PC) to be slowed.

The Underline indicates that that Callsign has the Text Messages function of JTAlert enabled and is set to receive messages.

de Laurie VK3AMA

 I observed my CPU usage for 5-minutes or so and observed a max-usage of the CPU to be close to
65-percent during decode processing. Most of the time CPU usage runs in the mid-40's.

Again, I'm seeing up to 65-seconds for the WSJT-X logging pop-up window to finish once I click
on the "OK" after my "73" transmission finishes. During the 65-second period the main WSJT-X
screen is frozen (according to the 'clock' feature on the main WSJT-X window) and then jumps
to the correct time once the logging window collapses.

I will shut-down the computer and restart everything and observe what happens during the logging
process.

OK on the under-lining - doubt I will use it.

73  Dick/w7wkr at CN97uj

BIG SNIP