locked JT Alert Crashes Upon Any Sound Played

Bill Hicks

GM,
I am running 2.16.16 windows 10 with wsjtx.  any time a audio alert is triggered or i test the sound card or alert for any thing JT Alert crashes.  It work fine with the sound turned off under the sound heading on JT Alert.  any ideas on how to fix this?

DE KG4ZXN

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 1/12/2020 11:44 pm, Bill Hicks wrote:
I am running 2.16.16 windows 10 with wsjtx.  any time a audio alert is triggered or i test the sound card or alert for any thing JT Alert crashes.  It work fine with the sound turned off under the sound heading on JT Alert.  any ideas on how to fix this?

DE KG4ZXN

  • What does "Crash" mean exactly?
  • Is there an error dialog being shown, if so what does it say (post an image)?
  • Is JTAlert just disappearing or is it becoming non-response?
  • What was the last version of JTAlert that worked for you?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bill Hicks

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 11:59 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
  • What does "Crash" mean exactly? It shuts down and has to be restarted..
  • Is there an error dialog being shown, if so what does it say (post an image)?-No warning or dialog box is shown....
  • Is JTAlert just disappearing or is it becoming non-response?  just disappears
  • What was the last version of JTAlert that worked for you? it has been several versions now at least 4 updates would be my guess. i posted on this when it first started but just lived with it as i got busy with work.  trying to revisit it now.
I did notice there are four JT alert managers under firewall>allow apps...all are checked to allow all options.

Bill

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 3/12/2020 12:27 am, Bill Hicks wrote:
On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 11:59 AM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
  • What does "Crash" mean exactly? It shuts down and has to be restarted..
  • Is there an error dialog being shown, if so what does it say (post an image)?-No warning or dialog box is shown....
  • Is JTAlert just disappearing or is it becoming non-response?  just disappears
  • What was the last version of JTAlert that worked for you? it has been several versions now at least 4 updates would be my guess. i posted on this when it first started but just lived with it as i got busy with work.  trying to revisit it now.
I did notice there are four JT alert managers under firewall>allow apps...all are checked to allow all options.

Bill

You didn't answer my questions. The answers to which would provide me with some insight into what may be happening. I still don't know what you mean by "Crash". Is there an error popup? Is JTAlert becoming non-repressive or simply closing without warning?

My best guess is that your Protection software is interfering and deliberately killing JTAlert as soon as it sees some network traffic.

The JTAlert.exe executable (the main window and process) itself does not play any audio, instead it offloads that task to a background process, the JTAlertV2.Manager.exe. That operation involves sending a UDP message to the Manager. My guess is that your PC protection software is directly interfering with JTAlert.exe as soon as it issues this UDP instruction.

What Protection software are you running?

de Laurie VK3AMA