Topics

locked Proper Initial Log Setup

Bill Pence

I'll chime in with another endorsement for dx keeper and the dxlab suite.
Just WOW!
And the support!

Patrick Hung

Thanks, Neil. I've downloaded DXKeeper, just having found a reason yet to install it; perhaps this is it.

--
Patrick - W2TAR

neil_zampella

Don't know if anyone recommended DXKeeper, part of the DXLabs suite of programs.   Its free, and has excellent integration with JT-Alert.   You don't need to install the entire set of programs, just what you need at first.

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/InstallingDXLabApplications

Neil, KN3ILZ

Patrick Hung

Thanks, Geoff, I'll surely take a close look at it.

--
Patrick - W2TAR

geoff wiggins

Patrick.

May I recommend Log4om2. Brilliant program and I have used it successfully for some time now. Auto logging with it is very easy.

Enjoy.

73 Geoff. G4XMJ

On 13/11/2020 16:17, Larry Banks via groups.io wrote:
Hi Patrick,

You will probably have to import your WSJT-X ADIF into your chosen logger to start, and then point JTAlert to that logger.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 10:31
Subject: Re: [HamApps] Proper Initial Log Setup

Michael, Jim, Larry,

Thank you all for your responses, complete with three different logging programs that I will be exploring; one thing for sure is that I need a logging program, and it's good to have that confirmed. I had used N1MM+ in the past, but in SSB contesting only, which has been rare as I prefer digital, for now.

Regardless of which logger I go with, selecting the appropriate logger settings in JT-Alert will simply bring over/export my current WSJT-X log (adif) to the new logger, I hope?

Thanks again for your help.
--
Patrick - W2TAR

Patrick Hung

Well noted, Michael and Larry.

This will be a fun (hair-pulling) project for this weekend.

--
Patrick - W2TAR

Larry Banks

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 10:31

Michael, Jim, Larry,

Thank you all for your responses, complete with three different logging programs that I will be exploring; one thing for sure is that I need a logging program, and it's good to have that confirmed. I had used N1MM+ in the past, but in SSB contesting only, which has been rare as I prefer digital, for now.

Regardless of which logger I go with, selecting the appropriate logger settings in JT-Alert will simply bring over/export my current WSJT-X log (adif) to the new logger, I hope?

Thanks again for your help.
--
Patrick - W2TAR

Michael Black

Yes...all loggers can import adif files.

On Friday, November 13, 2020, 09:31:17 AM CST, Patrick Hung <pathung@...> wrote:

[...]

I Patrick,

I think you need a real logging program.  I recommend ACLog by N3FJP.  It does cost a nominal amount, but it has great support, is easy to use, and doe everything you might ever need.  http://www.n3fjp.com/index.html

I’m just a happy user.
73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Friday, November 13, 2020 0:20
Subject: [HamApps] Proper Initial Log Setup

I started using JT-Alert a few months ago, and unfortunately didn't try to find a tutorial or learn more about it before making the plunge. Having finally had some time to read up on its intricacies, I believe that there is something amiss with my logging, and here are the tell-tales:

  • When I tried to rebuild the database, it alerted that a log was not enabled. I didn't know what to do, so found a way to point it straight to my wsjtx.log adif file.
  • As I tinkered with the settings, and for a short while, a small popup would appear notifying me of a successful QSO being logged - this stopped appearing after I pointed to the wsjt-x adif file.
  • My Wanted States don't seem to work - states I've worked keep popping up in an orange background/black font color combo in the JT-Alert main window (when new callsign, I think). I have the following turned on for alerts: DXCC, Continent, CQ Zone, States; I'm trying to work all states.

Searching for an adif file in the JT-Alert folder, I found one, at only 1 kb. There is a b4 log, at a few hundred kb's.

I wonder if I have to reinstall, and perhaps lose my existing logs on JT-Alert (do I even have one?).

I've been uploading my WSJT-X adif file to LOTW weekly, manually. A YouTube video shows HRD as being able to do this automatically, as JT-Alert logs each QSO... Is HRD a better way to get QSOs onto LOTW, for my WAS goal?

Thanks in advance for helping a JT-Alert noobie.

Patrick
W2TAR

Jim Cooper

On 12 Nov 2020 at 21:20, Patrick Hung wrote:

> I started using JT-Alert a few months ago, and unfortunately didn't
> try to find a tutorial or learn more about it before making the
> plunge. Having finally had some time to read up on its intricacies,
> I believe that there is something amiss with my logging, and here
> are the tell-tales:
>
> * When I tried to rebuild the database, it alerted that a log was
> not enabled. I didn't know what to do, so found a way to point it
> straight to my wsjtx.log adif file.
> * As I tinkered with the settings, and for a short while, a small
> popup would appear notifying me of a successful QSO being logged -
> this stopped appearing after I pointed to the wsjt-x adif file.
> * My Wanted States don't seem to work - states I've worked keep
> popping up in an orange background/black font color combo in the
> JT-Alert main window (when new callsign, I think). I have the
> following turned on for alerts: DXCC, Continent, CQ Zone, States;
> I'm trying to work all states.
>
> Searching for an adif file in the JT-Alert folder, I found one, at
> only 1 kb. There is a b4 log, at a few hundred kb's.
>
> I wonder if I have to reinstall, and perhaps lose my existing logs
> on JT-Alert (do I even have one?).
>
> I've been uploading my WSJT-X adif file to LOTW weekly, manually. A
> YouTube video shows HRD as being able to do this automatically, as
> JT-Alert logs each QSO... Is HRD a better way to get QSOs onto LOTW,
> for my WAS goal?
>
> Thanks in advance for helping a JT-Alert noobie.
>
> Patrick
> W2TAR

My suggestion is to go to the Settings page,
select the Logging dropdown, then select the
"Standard ADIF File"

graphic

This will be filled in by JTalert and you can use it to update your various alerts, etc.  I have found this to be much cleaner and easier than trying to 'synch' with some external logbooks.  DON'T use the adif file associated with WSJT-X, or you will get things really messed up !!

As far as getting things to LotW, there are many routes;
MY favorite is to use the QRZ.com Logbook (which I use
for my non-digital logging anyway).

graphic

This will cause JTalert to upload each QSO to QRZ as it is logged by WSJT-X ...  you will need the "XML" subscription at QRZ, but that is well worth it for all the features it provides. When you get that subscription, you will get an
"API Key" code which you enter as shown on the graphic above.

Why do I prefer this solution?  Because it gives me a 'backup' log on QRZ.com, it gives me a place to log non-digital QSOs, QRZ Logbook keeps ALL the details of the QSO (which LotW does not), and the upload from QRZ to LotW is done with 3 mouse clicks!  (once it is set up between QRZ Logbook and LotW).

This arrangement satisfies my needs because I don't try to make JTalert keep track of confirmations of all the categories; LotW does that for me as far as awards, etc.
So the info in the JTalert "Standard ADIF File" keeps track of worked entities including band and mode, and
makes the alerting "easy peasy" ...

Hope that helps.

Jim  W2JC

Michael Black

You'll be a lot better off if you use a real logger.

I can recommend Log4OM.  It's free and does what you need for LOTW.  There is a learning curve of course.  What you do NOT want to do is download logs from LOTW or anywhere else and import them...they lack a lot of information.
If your wsjtx adi file is the best one you have right now start with that and import that.  A few mouse clicks will upload the QSOs to LOTW from Log4OM.

If you're working WAS I can also recommend my LOTWQSL program that you'll find on my qrz.com page.  It will show you maps/grids and is easy to update to see what QSLs you've received (both for WAS and DXCC awards).

Mike W9MDB