locked Republic of North Macedonia

Ron W3RJW

Edited

Republic of North Macedonia  ...   Comes up as "N." in my JTA callsign display (i.e. Z34K). The official name of Macedonia.is now Republic of North Macedonia (result of political dispute over the name)

Everything gets logged correctly,

No big deal   When you get around to it.
Ron, W3RJW

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 8/11/2020 3:32 am, Ron W3RJW via groups.io wrote:
Republic of North Macedonia  ...   Comes up as "N." in my JTA callsign display (i.e. Z34K). The official name of Macedonia.is now Republic of North Macedonia (result of political dispute over the name)

No big deal   When you get around to it.
Ron, W3RJW

Ron,

The use of "North Macedonia" by JTAlert is based the Entity name provided by ClubLog.
I note that the cty.dat file lists "North Macedonia" and the ARRL listing has "North Macedonia (Republic of)".

In the past I relied on the Country name enumeration of the ADIF specs, but that is no longer accurate for a number of Country name changes that have occurred in recent years. I note it has not been updated in this case, still listing as "Macedonia", not "North" or "Republic".

The critical bit of data is the underlying dxcc number. It is immutable, it doesn't change, regardless of the country name changes or spelling.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Ron W3RJW

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for reply.  I guess the point I was trying to make was that only the letter N. showed in the callsign display box.   There was nothing else.  Perhaps it's because I have 9 boxes across ? I am reporting what is perhaps a formatting problem where there is not room for N. Macedonia so only the N. shows ?
Ron, W3RJW

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 9/11/2020 11:15 am, Ron W3RJW via groups.io wrote:
I guess the point I was trying to make was that only the letter N. showed in the callsign display box.   There was nothing else.  Perhaps it's because I have 9 boxes across ? I am reporting what is perhaps a formatting problem where there is not room for N. Macedonia so only the N. shows ?
Ron, W3RJW

RRR, Understood.

It's your 9 callsign slot display that is the problem. There is insufficient room to display the already truncated "N. Macedonia".
When you get this type of excessive truncation, hover your mouse over the Callsign, the resulting tooltip shows the full non truncated Country name.

Measuring the length of a display string taking into consideration the current display resolution, display pixel density, and the amount of area available to display the string is not difficult, but would add additional CPU overhead affecting decode display speed. I will not be adding that to the current V2 series of JTAlert. Having said that, the new unlimited callsigns display of JTAlertV3 which is coming to JTAlertV2 in the near future doesn't suffer from Country name truncation. See this previous post for some screen-shots of the new display.

de Laurie VK3AMA