locked JT Alert crashes

tomloock@...

For some reason JT Alert crashes.  I start WSJT-X and then JT Alert and I am decoding signals but after 1 or 2 cycles JT Alert shuts down.  It does show the stations that I have not contacted but after the 2nd decode cycle the program closes. Not sure what might have changed.  I have tried versions 2.16.6,  2.16.14 and 2.16.15 and all do the same thing.  ???

TIA
73 Tom K9VER

Michael Black

First thing to try is run a new configuration.

You can temporarily rename C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\HamApps
Then JTALert will recreate it.

If that fixes your problem then zip up the old directory and send it in.

Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, November 5, 2020, 10:16:41 AM CST, <tomloock@...> wrote:

For some reason JT Alert crashes.  I start WSJT-X and then JT Alert and I am decoding signals but after 1 or 2 cycles JT Alert shuts down.  It does show the stations that I have not contacted but after the 2nd decode cycle the program closes. Not sure what might have changed.  I have tried versions 2.16.6,  2.16.14 and 2.16.15 and all do the same thing.  ???

TIA
73 Tom K9VER

tomloock@...

I finally got a chance to try your suggestion and it still does the same thing.  I renamed the HamApps folder and reloaded JT Alert and then set all the settings to where I wanted them and when I saved the settings JT Alert shutdown after 2 decode cycles.

Not sure where to go from here.

--
73 Tom K9VER

Ron / W4MMP

Hi Tom,

Start the task manager and check on CPU and memory utilization before starting JTalert.   If you have CPU or memory pressure (more than lets say 80%),  then you need to find what is consuming the resources.   If that is OK, start JTalert and check again.  Some have found that system utilization plays a role in this problem.

73,
Ron / W4MMP
On 11/9/2020 12:29, tomloock@... wrote:

I finally got a chance to try your suggestion and it still does the same thing.  I renamed the HamApps folder and reloaded JT Alert and then set all the settings to where I wanted them and when I saved the settings JT Alert shutdown after 2 decode cycles.

Not sure where to go from here.

--
73 Tom K9VER

tomloock@...

I checked the memory utilization and no program is using more than 5% so I don't think that is my problem.  What is confusing about this is that everything was working fine and I have not been on FT8 for about a month and when I tried to go on FT8 that is when JT Alert would start up but just closed after 1 decode cycle.  I thought it might be a windows update but not sure if that is the problem or not.

--
73 Tom K9VER

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/11/2020 12:19 pm, tomloock@... wrote:
JT Alert would start up but just closed after 1 decode cycle.  I thought it might be a windows update but not sure if that is the problem or not.

--
73 Tom K9VER

If JTAlert is crashing after every startup, the cause is unlikely to be the random memory/cpu pressure issues that have been discussed.

Have you tried downgrading to an earlier version of JTAlert? Try 2.16.14

If you get the same crashing with an earlier version of JTAlert, that may be caused by a corrupt JTAlert config file, but that is very unlikely as I have never seen a corrupt config bring down JTAlert. You can try renaming the config file to say "config.sqlite.save" and then starting JTAlert which will automatically create a new config. If you still get a crash, the likely cause is interference from you PC Protection software. My money is on your Protection software as the culprit.

You config file can be found at %localappdata%\HamApps\K9VER\config\JTAlertX\config.sqlite

de Laurie VK3AMA

James "Lee" Weaver <wi4r@...>

My JT ALERT has been working perfectly until a recent MS Update I believe. Since that time I takes 5 to 10 minutes to post QSO on HRD Access database. Also, the database will not back up. Is this a JT Alert problem, HRD problem or Microsoft problem? I’ve tried about everything simple but not sure where else to look.