Topics

locked Change browser

phredyh@...

Is there a way to change the browser to Chrome using the "Q" button on the right side of the JTAlert decode window?
--

de Fred KE0EF

Gary - AC6EG

On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 04:37 AM, <phredyh@...> wrote:
Is there a way to change the browser to Chrome using the "Q" button on the right side of the JTAlert decode window?
Not sure what OS you are using, Fred, but the easy way to do this is to make Chrome your "default browser."

Gary - AC6EG

phredyh@...

Thanks Gary... I’m using Win10 and Chrome is my default browser however when I use the “Q” button on the right side of the decode window it takes me to QRZ.com via the MS browser. It would be easier for me to go there via chrome.

Joseph Baker <joebaker324@...>

Sounds like Chrome has not been set properly as the default browser.
Go to start, settings, apps, default apps and scroll down to web browser, click on this and select chrome.

Joe MI0NWA

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 18:42, <phredyh@...> wrote:
Thanks Gary... I’m using Win10 and Chrome is my default browser however when I use the “Q” button on the right side of the decode window it takes me to QRZ.com via the MS browser. It would be easier for me to go there via chrome.

--
Sent from iPhone 8 Plus

Gary - AC6EG

Microsoft has been quite aggressive in promoting their Edge browser and some recent Windows Updates have upgraded Edge made it the default.  If you open Chrome and scroll down through the settings to Default Browser, it should say that Google Chrome is your default browser. I'm pretty sure the Q button in JTAlert is always going to use the system default browser and has no provision for opening a non-default browser.

73 de Gary - AC6EG

chas cartmel

For info some applications hard code the browser of choice.
I wrote an application which needs to access QRZ.com and it simply would not pass the required parameres to the default browser, actually chrome in my case as well.
I had to hard code it to Internet Explored, a program which I try to avoid.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

Sounds like Chrome has not been set properly as the default browser.

Go to start, settings, apps, default apps and scroll down to web browser, click on this and select chrome.

Joe MI0NWA

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 at 18:42, <phredyh@...> wrote:

Thanks Gary... I’m using Win10 and Chrome is my default browser however when I use the “Q” button on the right side of the decode window it takes me to QRZ.com via the MS browser. It would be easier for me to go there via chrome.

--

Sent from iPhone 8 Plus

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 27/08/2020 9:37 pm, phredyh@... wrote:
Is there a way to change the browser to Chrome using the "Q" button on the right side of the JTAlert decode window?
--

de Fred KE0EF

There is no way, from within JTAlert, to change the Browser used to open the QRZ links. JTAlert does not control what browser is used, that is dictated by Windows and what "associations" it has set.

JTAlert is simply sending an instruction to Windows to open a specific http: link.

On 28/08/2020 6:04 am, chas cartmel wrote:
For info some applications hard code the browser of choice.

FYI, JTAlert does not hard code any browser. The Browser used when opening a URL from within JTAlert is controlled by Windows,

JTAlert is simply sending a command to open a URL.
eg.
ShellExecute("http://www.qrz.com/db/" & $call)

de Laurie VK3AMA

chas cartmel

Thanks Laurie for that information.
In my app I had tried to simply send a link out to my default browser for QRZ lookups but kept getting an error if the browser was not IE. I didn’t want that set as default so hard coded it leaving default (at the time) as Firefox, hence my comment.
I will attempt to try it again (3 year old bit of code) as using IE is not my thing.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

On 28/08/2020 6:04 am, chas cartmel wrote:

For info some applications hard code the browser of choice.

FYI, JTAlert does not hard code any browser. The Browser used when opening a URL from within JTAlert is controlled by Windows,

JTAlert is simply sending a command to open a URL.
eg.

ShellExecute("http://www.qrz.com/db/" & $call)

de Laurie VK3AMA

chas cartmel

I should have added it is in access VBA so may well be a limitation of the ‘language’. Have since been developing in VB.NET which has fewer issues.

73 Charlie

G4EST

www.g4est.me.uk

Stay safe out there

On 28/08/2020 6:04 am, chas cartmel wrote:

For info some applications hard code the browser of choice.

FYI, JTAlert does not hard code any browser. The Browser used when opening a URL from within JTAlert is controlled by Windows,

JTAlert is simply sending a command to open a URL.
eg.

ShellExecute("http://www.qrz.com/db/" & $call)

de Laurie VK3AMA

phredyh@...