locked Moving from Vista to Windows 10

John Singler

Not really an JTAlert problem, but after a week, I haven't had any takers on the HRD Yahoo group and there are some REALLY knowledgeable folk here. I have HRD ver 5, JTAlert ver2.10.7 andWSJT-X ver 1.8.0.
My laptop running Vista died - hardware fault. I had a backup on a usb drive but my wife's laptop is running Windows 10 and you can't just restore from Vista to Win 10! After 3 restore cycles and several days of copying files, I have most of my files and most programs work. The HRD Logbook is a problem! It will start from HRD or by itself, but won't load any records and stops responding. If I Run as Administrator and it loads the log records and reads from and writes to Digital Master and JTAlert.

If I launch JTAlert without Run and Admin, I get this error message:

Sorry, there has been an error!

Current Function : _calldata_query()

Calling Function : 1

DSN Name :

DSN Driver : Driver do Microsoft Access (*.mdb)

Conn String : DSN=HRD My Logbook - Access;Trusted_Connection=Yes;Persist Security Info=True;

Query : SELECT [COL_TIME_ON] FROM [TABLE_HRD_CONTACTS_V01] WHERE ([COL_MODE] LIKE 'FT8%' AND [COL_TIME_ON]>CDate('1900-01-01 00:00:00')) AND ([COL_BAND]='40m') AND ([COL_CALL]='KB8TSO') ORDER BY [COL_PRIMARY_KEY] DESC

err.description is: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'.  It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

err.windescription: Unspecified error

err.number is: 80020009

err.lastdllerror is: 0

err.scriptline is: -1

err.source is: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers

err.helpfile is:

err.helpcontext is: 0

This error message has been placed in the Windows Clipboard.

I tried changing the owner of logbook and the data file to the original user, made sure administrator isn't check in their properties, made sure my user has full privileges, copied the JTAlert and HRD directories to the original user AppData directory. Not sure what else to do except Run and Admin and tolerate the "Are you sure?" warning! Any better ideas?

There are now 3 Users on the machine - D, the original, S, the Vista user, and D.S. i don't know where DdotS came from and it has no login and most of its file folders are empty. Once everything is working, I plan on deleting the S and D.S users, just for housekeeping.

Thanks and 73

John KA5BJC

Dave Garber

I believe you must reinstall all programs, and THEN copy your support files, or import them, depending on if you change versions....

so if you remove what you copied ( or just rename the folder for now).  the reinstall will add dll files you probably did not copy over..

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 10:07 AM, John Singler <jes148@...> wrote:

[...]

james brock <jamesbrock@...>

Don't go to Windows 10, it sucks.

James Brock
541-868-5827

 DO NOT ACCEPT TEXTING

On Friday, December 15, 2017, 9:23:11 AM PST, Dave Garber <ve3wej@...> wrote:

[...]

Slow and bloated. I may have to learn linix!
John S

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/12/2017 2:07 AM, John Singler wrote:

[...]

The important part in that error message was the line "DSN Name : ". The ODBC DSN lame for your HRD Log is missing so JTAlert was trying to run a query against an unknown log and subsequently errored.

Regarding moving to a new PC, see the JTAlert Help file, "Frequently Asked Questions -> Move JTAlert to new PC" topic.

The important part about moving JTAlert and HRD (all applications really) is to not just copy files, but to go through the proper installation process of the programs on the new PC before copying over user data files from the old PC. Don't copy over Program install directories and and executable files, that is a recipe for disaster.

I can't provide specific help on HRD V5, except that you need to install HRD on the new PC and go through the process of setting up the log as that creates the necessary ODBC DSNs and Registry entries that JTAlert relies upon to provide the logging.

When properly installed, there is never any need to run HRD or JTAlert with elevated privileges (Run as Administrator) and I strongly advise against going down that path.

de Laurie VK3AMA

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/12/2017 4:23 AM, Dave Garber wrote:
I believe you must reinstall all programs, and THEN copy your support files, or import them, depending on if you change versions....

so if you remove what you copied ( or just rename the folder for now).  the reinstall will add dll files you probably did not copy over..

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

Dave,

That is my advice as well.

de Laurie VK3AMA

JTAlert Support (VK3AMA)

Please don't start a "I hate Win10" thread.

Win10 has its issues but there are many people happily using it (my self included) and it is the only modern/secure option for those of us who need/prefer to stay with a Windows based OS.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

Not only that, it is significantly more reliable and faster than any
prior version of Windows.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

Please don't start a "I hate Win10" thread.
Win10 has its issues but there are many people happily using it (my self included) and it is the only modern/secure option for those of us who need/prefer to stay with a Windows based OS.
de Laurie VK3AMA

roamer

Very true! 😀

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. MAGA!

Not only that, it is significantly more reliable and faster than any
prior version of Windows.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

> Please don't start a "I hate Win10" thread.
>
> Win10 has its issues but there are many people happily using it (my self
> included) and it is the only modern/secure option for those of us who
> need/prefer to stay with a Windows based OS.
>
> de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe WB9SBD

Same here so far not a single problem or issue with anything.

The ONLY drawback I have not found a cure for is the Up-Dating issue. It does it when IT wants to do it, and when it is doing it, it gets incredibly slow!

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 12/15/2017 3:06 PM, Joe Subich wrote:

Not only that, it is significantly more reliable and faster than any
prior version of Windows.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

Please don't start a "I hate Win10" thread.

Win10 has its issues but there are many people happily using it (my self included) and it is the only modern/secure option for those of us who need/prefer to stay with a Windows based OS.

John Singler

As expected, I uninstalled and reinstalled HRD and things are working fine.
Happy Holidays to all. Rum balls are done but I need to make another batch of eggnog!
John KA5BJC