locked Installation of latest JTAlert Update

Craig

Hi Laurie - I hope your doing well. As others have noted, there is an install issue associated with Windows Defender and/or with the installed virus software.  I have read response posts from the group but even with turning off or adding an exception file reference, have I been able to get successfully download / install the latest software.  Is there a recommendation that you have or have published for this install?

73, Craig
Craig Willison
nz4cwcraig@...
678-613-7300

J F

Craig, your post says you have been able to get the latest installation installed.  If so how did you manage this.  Or was that a typo?  I have not been able to get JTAlert to install this time.  In the past it has always worked with the exception listed for Windows Defender but not this time.  Each time I have tried it even deletes or moves the JTAlert install program from my downloads folder.

Jona
KK4HMQ

Michael Black

You have to open Windows Defender quarantine and "Allow" the JTAlert download.  Then you can download it again and install it.

I assume you added a folder exception for the directory Programs (x86)\HamApps

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 10:32:27 AM CDT, J F via groups.io <kk4hmq@...> wrote:

Craig, your post says you have been able to get the latest installation installed.  If so how did you manage this.  Or was that a typo?  I have not been able to get JTAlert to install this time.  In the past it has always worked with the exception listed for Windows Defender but not this time.  Each time I have tried it even deletes or moves the JTAlert install program from my downloads folder.

Jona
KK4HMQ

Kevin Utzy

Jona,

How I got by it was turning Defender off.  Download and install and then turn Defender back on.

73,
Kevin
KX4KU

Craig, your post says you have been able to get the latest installation installed.  If so how did you manage this.  Or was that a typo?  I have not been able to get JTAlert to install this time.  In the past it has always worked with the exception listed for Windows Defender but not this time.  Each time I have tried it even deletes or moves the JTAlert install program from my downloads folder.

Jona

KK4HMQ

m_scot_alex

The recommendations haven't changed:

https://hamapps.groups.io/g/Support/topic/faq_suspected_virus_malware/71823771?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,0,0,71823771

This is stickied at the top of the message list.

Mike - N8MSA

J F

Kevin -KX4KU

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Jona
KK4HMQ

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 11:28:17 AM CDT, Kevin Utzy <krutzy62@...> wrote:

Jona,

How I got by it was turning Defender off.  Download and install and then turn Defender back on.

73,
Kevin
KX4KU

Craig, your post says you have been able to get the latest installation installed.  If so how did you manage this.  Or was that a typo?  I have not been able to get JTAlert to install this time.  In the past it has always worked with the exception listed for Windows Defender but not this time.  Each time I have tried it even deletes or moves the JTAlert install program from my downloads folder.

Jona

KK4HMQ

J F

Mike W9MDB

Thanks.  Windows Defender has already been set to "ALLOW" JTAlert.  And that has worked in the past for updates until now.

Jona KK4HMQ

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 11:22:22 AM CDT, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

You have to open Windows Defender quarantine and "Allow" the JTAlert download.  Then you can download it again and install it.

I assume you added a folder exception for the directory Programs (x86)\HamApps

Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 10:32:27 AM CDT, J F via groups.io <kk4hmq@...> wrote:

Craig, your post says you have been able to get the latest installation installed.  If so how did you manage this.  Or was that a typo?  I have not been able to get JTAlert to install this time.  In the past it has always worked with the exception listed for Windows Defender but not this time.  Each time I have tried it even deletes or moves the JTAlert install program from my downloads folder.

Jona
KK4HMQ

Al Groff

There are three parts to successfully installing a false positive JTA version.

1) The browser may flag the download file during the down load phase. Since each new version has a different version number on the download file, a previously set browser down load exception will not apply to the new version.  Once you have set a download exception for the new version, you may then need to download again.

2) Once you have successfully downloaded the JTA setup file and attempt to install, the JTA install process may also require exceptions or elevated permissions to complete the install process.

3) Lastly, once you have everything installed, Defender may flag the installed files during its routine back ground scans.  Setting an exception on the JTA install directory once should prevent problems after JTA have been installed.

AL, K0VM