Topics

locked Grid Alerts: Preparing JTA Settings for CQ WW VHF Contest with Grids. #DXLAB

Mark W2OR

Preparing JTA Settings for CQ Worldwide VHF Contest with Grids.

This weekend's VHF contest will be a new one here, and am unsure on what JTA settings to adjust before hand, specifically, any related to needed grids.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.  I'm assuming the following steps are appropriate . . . but being a newbie, perhaps not.  // Mark.

~~ Start a new (empty) log for DXKeeper (DXLabs)
~~ Download the latest cty. database from HamApps.com into JTA
~~ Set 'enable' for JTA 'Wanted Grid' . 
~~ Probably turn 'OFF' most all of the other JTA alerts.
~~ Do a JTA Scan of (the empty DXKeeper) log for 'Wanted Grid'
~~ I'm forgetting something here ...  

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/07/2020 3:56 am, Mark W2OR via groups.io wrote:

~~ Start a new (empty) log for DXKeeper (DXLabs)
~~ Download the latest cty. database from HamApps.com into JTA
~~ Set 'enable' for JTA 'Wanted Grid' . 
~~ Probably turn 'OFF' most all of the other JTA alerts.
~~ Do a JTA Scan of (the empty DXKeeper) log for 'Wanted Grid'
~~ I'm forgetting something here ...  

That covers it, but you don't need to download the Callsign database as it doesn't contain any Grid data, only US State & online QSL membership (lotw & eqsl) data.

A new empty log is the way to go along with a new "Scan Log" operation after setting the new log to ensure that the internal list of not-needed grids is empty.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Mark W2OR

Thank you.  That's good news, as usual, from the one and only JTA pro of pros.    

I am told by a local op here that, for this CQ WW VHF contest, JTA and/or the DXKeeper log app, are not needed for this particular contest, if one operates in data mode only.  Instead, one can just use the built-in WSJT contest log, in WSJT contest mode, with WSJT keeping track of, and providing color coded alerts (hopefully) for new grids.  That's good news ... if true.  

If that WSJT-only option is used, and since I don't know the logging intricacies, it'd probably be best to first:
~~ If necessary, Copy the WSJT ALL.txt file and store in a safe place.
~~ Delete the old ALL.txt file, and start a new one for use during the contest.
~~ Reset the WSJT cabrillo log (to erase old log entries, if any).
~~ Test everything hours before the contest begins.  Of course.  

Thanks again for a truly remarkable app ... its varied features never cease to amaze. 
C U this weekend on 6m FT8, Laurie  : ) 

// Mark

Tom Melvin

Mark

ALL.TXT is not used by wsjt-X for colour alerts etc. Replace ALL.TXT with wsjtx_log.adi in your instructions.

Tom

--

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 18 Jul 2020, at 01:03, Mark W2OR via groups.io <reston2010mm-orders@...> wrote:

Thank you.  That's good news, as usual, from the one and only JTA pro of pros.    

I am told by a local op here that, for this CQ WW VHF contest, JTA and/or the DXKeeper log app, are not needed for this particular contest, if one operates in data mode only.  Instead, one can just use the built-in WSJT contest log, in WSJT contest mode, with WSJT keeping track of, and providing color coded alerts (hopefully) for new grids.  That's good news ... if true.  

If that WSJT-only option is used, and since I don't know the logging intricacies, it'd probably be best to first:
~~ If necessary, Copy the WSJT ALL.txt file and store in a safe place.
~~ Delete the old ALL.txt file, and start a new one for use during the contest.
~~ Reset the WSJT cabrillo log (to erase old log entries, if any).
~~ Test everything hours before the contest begins.  Of course.  

Thanks again for a truly remarkable app ... its varied features never cease to amaze. 
C U this weekend on 6m FT8, Laurie  : ) 

// Mark

Mark W2OR

Thank you, Tom.    And thank you, Laurie.

73 / Mark

Mark W2OR

Still attempting to resolve the original issue - - getting JTA to properly alert for needed grids.  Getting much closer to what needs to be done.

In Settings, under Tracking Individual Band, Individual Mode, FT8 selected, and for 6 meters in this case, there are no grids populating the screen; where there should be dozens.   

Somewhere there's another setting to make this work.  Ideas welcome.

Mark W2OR

Still looking for the fix to this (please see below).

The list of unneeded grids on the grid alert setting page is still unpopulated.  So, the JTA grid audio alert continues to be beeping for every decoded data signal / segment.  The JTA Decodes window is showing in the grid column all grids being highlighted.  And so, it seems half the battle is won here.  The other half is getting the grid window populated.

My other JTA alerts are working fine.  The log being used is DXKeeper.  The JTA version is v.2.16.8.   The WSJT contest log is also being shown, accurately, on the computer screen.    Ideas welcome.

Mark W2OR

The JTA grid alert is now working properly, finally, after reverting back to normal configurations (in JTAlert, DXKeeper, WSJT) after the VHF contest. 

Once I determine what had gone wrong earlier, during the contest, that will be posted here. 

Thanks again Laurie and Tom.    73 de Mark.

(Sorry about the two separate postings on this topic.)