Topics

locked Color blind #FT8

kk6mf@...

I searched for "Color Blind" and only found 2 messages that did not answer my question.

I have a friend who is Color blind to some extent and he is attempting to use WSJT-X & JT Alarm.
Is there or could there be a option to help with Color Blindness.  A symbol that could added to or added to a colored line?

Tnx, Larry - KK6MF

g4wjs

On 15/07/2020 01:49, kk6mf@... wrote:
I searched for "Color Blind" and only found 2 messages that did not answer my question.

I have a friend who is Color blind to some extent and he is attempting to use WSJT-X & JT Alarm.
Is there or could there be a option to help with Color Blindness.  A symbol that could added to or added to a colored line?

Tnx, Larry - KK6MF

Hi Larry,

I'm don't understand what "A symbol that could added to or added to a colored line?" entails. Is there some specific part of the WSJT-X user interface that is causing them problems?

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill
G4WJS.

kk6mf@...

Well.. Not that it right solution to help with color blindness, just a thought. The colors represent a lot of things, whether you work the operator before, New grid, New prefix, DX, someone calling/answering you, etc..  How can you differentiate them when you are color blind? At the same time, not eliminating color all together. The only thing I could come up with was a symbol.
It could be a W for worked, or Even a G for Green, or R for Red. With the Stay at Home restriction and 150 mile separation and not seeing his screen.
I'm at a loss to get him active and on the air, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

How are other Color Blind operators handling it?

Tnx, Larry - KK6MF

g4wjs

On 15/07/2020 03:18, kk6mf@... wrote:
Well.. Not that it right solution to help with color blindness, just a thought. The colors represent a lot of things, whether you work the operator before, New grid, New prefix, DX, someone calling/answering you, etc..  How can you differentiate them when you are color blind? At the same time, not eliminating color all together. The only thing I could come up with was a symbol.
It could be a W for worked, or Even a G for Green, or R for Red. With the Stay at Home restriction and 150 mile separation and not seeing his screen.
I'm at a loss to get him active and on the air, I'm open to any and all suggestions.

How are other Color Blind operators handling it?

Tnx, Larry - KK6MF
Larry,

in WSJT-X all those colours are user definable. Most colour blindness is an inability to differentiate two or three hues, others that are distinguishable can be selected. The highlights in WSJT-X for new DXCC, Continent, or Zones are all accompanied by a text description on the end of the line, Own Call should be obvious, so it seems to me that the only differentiable colours that need to be customized are those that denote CQ, New Call, New Call on Band, New Grid, and New Grid on Band.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill
G4WJS.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/07/2020 10:49 am, kk6mf@... wrote:
I have a friend who is Color blind to some extent and he is attempting to use WSJT-X & JT Alarm.
Is there or could there be a option to help with Color Blindness.  A symbol that could added to or added to a colored line?

Tnx, Larry - KK6MF
If your referring to JTAlert rather than WSJT-X, try using the Decodes Window. Each of the Wanted types, Dxcc, State, Cont, Grid, etc, have their own column and if the decode generates one or more alerts the corresponding column cell in the display with be highlighted. While the Callsigns coloring is restricted to a single (highest priority) Alert, the Decodes window can show in a single line all the Alerts that were generated for that Callsign/decode.

de Laurie VK3AMA