locked Decodes Window not populating in Version 2.16.8

Brad Adams

Laurie,

I updated to JT Alert 2.16.8 last evening, and I am noticing now that the decodes window stops decoding. I am running WSJT-X version 2.2.1. I read on the forum concerning this with earlier versions, and I set it to delete all records on startup and restarted JT Alert. The window started decoding, but there was a noticeable delay from the time that JT Alert decoded and the time that the decodes window populated. It then eventually has stopped populating at all for 10 minutes. For what is worth, it populated with the delay while I was working other stations. Once I stopped working other stations, it stopped altogether.

Thanks for all you do for us!

Brad, N4PYI

Brad Adams

Laurie,

To add to this, the count where it stopped decoding was at 1,006 records.

Brad, N4PYI

Brad Adams

Update:

I tried deleting the decodes sqlite files in the jtalert\mycallsign\decodes directory and restarted JT Alert. Decodes window stopped populating altogether after this. I then deleted the files again and ran the install of version 2.16.8. The decodes window began populating, but again stopped at about 1,000 records. It then started populating again after several minutes. Watching the jtalert\mycallsign\decodes directory while JT Alert is decoding, you can see that when the decodes window is populating, the "decodes.sqlite-journal" file comes up, then disappears and the decodes.sqlite file grows in size. When the window is not populating, the  "decodes.sqlite-journal" file is always there and the decodes.sqlite file still grows in size. I watched this for a while and saw that when the record count got to 2,112 the window stopped populating again and the "decodes.sqlite-journal" file was always present in the folder and actively counting up and down in size.

I failed to mention previously that my operating system is Windows 10 Professional.

Has anyone else seen this in 2.16.8?

Thanks
Brad, N4PYI

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 20/06/2020 9:24 pm, Brad Adams wrote:
[...]

You should rarely see the "decodes.sqlite-journal" as it is automatically deleted by the sqlite database engine. AT most you should see brief glimpses of it if you have an Explorer window open.

Once you observe the
"decodes.sqlite-journal" never being deleted, then the decodes database has likely lost control of the file and will no longer shown new decodes in in the Decodes window. That looks to me like PC protection software interference.

I suggest you look to adding an exclusion to your PC protect software to exclude the decodes directory.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Brad Adams

Laurie,

I added the exclusions for all of the JT Alert folders and then disabled anti-virus altogether and restarted JT Alert. After one pass with the decodes window open, it decoded the first pass and stopped. The Sqlite.journal file stayed open and in windows explorer, the file selection was bouncing back and forth between the sqlite.journal file and the reference.sqlite file. This only started after updating to 2.16.8. It was working perfectly with 2.16.6, which is what I upgraded from to 2.16.8.

I could try to go back to 2.16.6 and see if it comes back. What is the best way to go back to a previous version?

Thanks

Brad, N4PYI

Brad Adams

Also, in process explorer, it shows two of the sqlite.journal processes at times.

Brad, N4PYI

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/06/2020 11:06 am, Brad Adams wrote:
I could try to go back to 2.16.6 and see if it comes back. What is the best way to go back to a previous version?

Thanks

Brad, N4PYI
Brad,

Don't go back to 2.16.6, 2.16.7 is better as it has a fix for loss of early first pass decodes of WSJT-X 2.2.1

You don't have to do anything special when downgrading, just run the Setup executable. 2.16.7 is available on HamApps.com to download, towards the bottom of the JTAlert download page.

You will note that with 2.16.7 there is no journal file, but there will be -shm & -wal files.
2.16.8 changed the journal type used with the decodes database to stop the loss of decodes display and occasional database corruption. Yours is the first report of problems with the new journal type in 2.16.8

de Laurie, VK3AMA

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/06/2020 11:09 am, Brad Adams wrote:
Also, in process explorer, it shows two of the sqlite.journal processes at times.

Brad, N4PYI
Brad,

I am not seeing that here. I just spent 10 minutes starting at Process Explorer, with a refresh time of 0.5sec, and didn't see the journal file ever.

There is definitely something screwy with your system, but at this time I have no idea what.

Your image shows the old journal file as it was being deleted (red) and the newly created journal file (green). I am surprised to see both at the same time. This looks like some-sort of delay in file deletion.

The other Decodes open files listed looks similar to mine.

How long since you restarted Windows? If it has been days, try a restart.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Brad Adams

Laurie,

I had done a fresh restart yesterday. I downgraded to 2.16.7 this morning and i have been running FT8 for the last hour with 4,616 decodes and the decodes window never missed a beat. Worked great. Also, I never had a problem like others did with version 2.16.6 and missing decodes and the decodes window not populating. So, I am not sure what is going on. My system info is as follows:

Dell Precision 3530,  Windows 10 Professional, (Version 1903, Build 18362.720) 16G RAM, 1 TB HD. Raid 1
WSJT-X version 2.2.1, Log4OMV2, Flex 6300 with SPE 1.5K amplifier. (Running SPE software with the amp)

Is my Windows version compatible with yours? Thoughts?

Thanks

Brad, N4PYI

Stephen - K6SJT

Not sure if this is related to your specific issue, but I run Windows 10 with latest 2004 update and have always had all the JTAlert Folders and files listed in windows Defender to exclude. However, JTAlert still was not running decodes.

I had to go into Defender and turn OFF the following to get JTAlert working again:

Virus & threat Protection
   - Check Apps & Files - OFF
   - Smart Screen for Microsoft Edge - OFF
   - SmartScreen for Microsoft Store Apps - OFF

Ransomware Protection
  - Controlled Folder Access - OFF

Brad Adams

Stephen,

I actually use Cylance anti virus instead of Defender. But I did turn off all anti virus protection and the problem was the same. I backed up to version 2.16.7 and the decodes window works like it always has. Very smooth, no delay, and populates every time.

Brad, N4PYI

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/06/2020 10:11 pm, Brad Adams wrote:
I had done a fresh restart yesterday. I downgraded to 2.16.7 this morning and i have been running FT8 for the last hour with 4,616 decodes and the decodes window never missed a beat. Worked great. Also, I never had a problem like others did with version 2.16.6 and missing decodes and the decodes window not populating. So, I am not sure what is going on. My system info is as follows:

Dell Precision 3530,  Windows 10 Professional, (Version 1903, Build 18362.720) 16G RAM, 1 TB HD. Raid 1
WSJT-X version 2.2.1, Log4OMV2, Flex 6300 with SPE 1.5K amplifier. (Running SPE software with the amp)

Is my Windows version compatible with yours? Thoughts?

Thanks

Brad, N4PYI

Thanks Brad,

Good to hear Decodes is back working. At this time I suggest you stay with 2.16.7. I need to do some research and testing to see if I can reproduce the problem you were having and importantly come up with a fix.

de Laurie VK3AMA