Topics

locked Decodes Fatal Error

WB8ASI Herb

Just got home after operating 3 months at my secondary station location during Stay-At-Home.  Had flawless operation with JTA while away.  I've got my monitors all reset, and changed my Gridsquare.  Using the same laptop at both locations with 2.16.7 (WSJTX 2.2.1).   Decoding is fine.  QSO's are fine.  Logging is fine.  BUT....when trying to initiate a QSO in the Decodes Window I get the attached Fatal Error.  The other thing that I'm experiencing is I'm only getting the last half of the audio Alerts.  The front of the Alert is chopped off of all the audio Alerts.  I've reloading JTA, but still seeing/hearing these quirks.  Win10 64 bit.  Any ideas?   Thanks 73 Herb WB8ASI

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/06/2020 12:42 pm, WB8ASI Herb wrote:
Just got home after operating 3 months at my secondary station location during Stay-At-Home.  Had flawless operation with JTA while away.  I've got my monitors all reset, and changed my Gridsquare.  Using the same laptop at both locations with 2.16.7 (WSJTX 2.2.1).   Decoding is fine.  QSO's are fine.  Logging is fine.  BUT....when trying to initiate a QSO in the Decodes Window I get the attached Fatal Error.  The other thing that I'm experiencing is I'm only getting the last half of the audio Alerts.  The front of the Alert is chopped off of all the audio Alerts.  I've reloading JTA, but still seeing/hearing these quirks.  Win10 64 bit.  Any ideas?   Thanks 73 Herb WB8ASI

Herb,

If the decodes window is still not populating (likely due to this error) you will need to manually delete the decodes database files after first closing JTAlert.

They can be found under the %localappdata%\HamApps\JTAlert\WB8ASI\Decode\ directory. Just delete all files starting with "decodes"

There is a new JTAlert build with setting changes to the Decodes database. Check you email I have sent you a link.

de Laurie VK3AMA

WB8ASI Herb

Thanks Laurie.  I deleted the "decodes" files per your instructions, and the Fatal Error went away.  Just to clarify, my Decodes Window was populating just fine.  I got the Error when clicking on a CQ station to initiate a QSO.  I'll give the Beta a try.  The Audio Alerts are still getting their first half clipped off...even when testing the Alerts.  73 Herb WB8ASI

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 18/06/2020 10:38 am, WB8ASI Herb wrote:
Audio Alerts are still getting their first half clipped off...even when testing the Alerts.  73 Herb WB8ASI

Herb,

Truncated audio is usually a Sound Device issue. Likely the device is being put into a power-save mode and the first sound it receives is waking it up but the first part is lost. Check your Sound driver settings and see if it has applied a power-save setting.

As a Test, perform 3 test sound operations, one after another, are all three sounds truncate or only the first played?

What sound device are you using? Is it an NVidia by any chance? If so, they are notorious for applying a power-save to the card, but not providing a user option via its driver settings to disable or adjust the setting. Only a Registry hack can provide a temporary fix, eventually being reset again. I solved this problem with my Nvidia HDMI device by changing the driver to the Microsoft High-Definition driver.

de Laurie VK3AMA

WB8ASI Herb

Thanks Laurie.  You nailed it.  Trying audio State alerts, the first one is clipped, then all others are fine as long as I test one after another.  I had swapped out a monitor and that's when the audio truncating began.  Switched back to the old monitor and all is well.  Looked around to learn how to shut off the sound driver power saver with no luck.  Seems I've got Realtec.  Downloaded an update for the Driver.  Now WSJTX is not decoding.  Did a system restore to go back to a good time.  No luck.  Not a JTA issue, but on my 3rd evening trying to get decodes working again.  Finding there was a Win10 update somewhere along the line. There us plenty of info on my forums with other having decode problems.  Atleast I learn everytime I run into a new snag, but I think I know just about all I want about computers.  I'd really rather make some QSO's.  Hi  73 Herb WB8ASI