locked Dual Jtalert and wsjt-x

hjerald1@...

I set up dual Jtalert and wsjt-x FT8 for 6 and 10 meters on the same computer. All is working except the 2nd instance of JTalert (10 meters) gives no 10 meter audio alerts. If I test the sound card it gives the 6 meter voice.  Settings in the 2nd instance of Jtalert is grayed out so I can't check settings for a solution.
What is amiss?
Jerry KE7DJD

Tom Melvin

Jerry

You don’t need to go into setting - use ToolBar - Sound -> Test Sound Output

I run two copies 6m and 4m all the time and it works really well.

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 14 Jun 2020, at 18:49, hjerald1@... wrote:

I set up dual Jtalert and wsjt-x FT8 for 6 and 10 meters on the same computer. All is working except the 2nd instance of JTalert (10 meters) gives no 10 meter audio alerts. If I test the sound card it gives the 6 meter voice.  Settings in the 2nd instance of Jtalert is grayed out so I can't check settings for a solution.
What is amiss?
Jerry KE7DJD

hjerald1@...

Yes I do that and the test voice works on 10m. However there is never any voice alert when wanted calls appear on jtalert for 10 meters. The 6m voice works all the time.

You don’t need to go into setting - use ToolBar - Sound -> Test Sound Output

I run two copies 6m and 4m all the time and it works really well.

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 14 Jun 2020, at 18:49, hjerald1@... wrote:

I set up dual Jtalert and wsjt-x FT8 for 6 and 10 meters on the same computer. All is working except the 2nd instance of JTalert (10 meters) gives no 10 meter audio alerts. If I test the sound card it gives the 6 meter voice.  Settings in the 2nd instance of Jtalert is grayed out so I can't check settings for a solution.
What is amiss?
Jerry KE7DJD

Laurie, VK3AMA

On 15/06/2020 3:49 am, hjerald1@gmail.com wrote:
I set up dual Jtalert and wsjt-x FT8 for 6 and 10 meters on the same computer. All is working except the 2nd instance of JTalert (10 meters) gives no 10 meter audio alerts. If I test the sound card it gives the 6 meter voice.  Settings in the 2nd instance of Jtalert is grayed out so I can't check settings for a solution.
What is amiss?
Jerry KE7DJD
There are multiple instance limitations, especially involving access to the Settings window, documented in the Help File, see the "Multiple Instances" topic.

If you change settings in instance #1, instance #2 will not see those changes due to each instance using a copy of the config file. It is not possible within JTAlertV2 for multiple instances to have real-time access to a single config file and automatically detect and apply changes. That comes with JTAlertV3.

If you change the sound device in instance #1, instance #2 will be unaware of that change, you will need to make the same change via the Sound menus which avoids the need to open the Settings window (which is not possible from instance #2).

I just now tested 4 JTAlert instances and each correctly played the Test Sound.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jerry <hjerald1@...>

Thanks for the info Laurie.

I finally got things to work. I opened each instance separately and made the identical changes to both. At least I guess that is what fixed things? I fiddled with so many other things that in the end I got lost. Nevertheless the end result was positive.

Now if it were possible to get one instance to use a male voice and the other a female voice like is possible with two computers……. That makes is easy to tell from the voice alert which of the two bands has the activity. Perhaps that capability will be in V3?

Jerry KE7DJD

On 15/06/2020 2:59 pm, Jerry wrote:

Thanks for the info Laurie.

I finally got things to work. I opened each instance separately and made the identical changes to both. At least I guess that is what fixed things? I fiddled with so many other things that in the end I got lost. Nevertheless the end result was positive.

Now if it were possible to get one instance to use a male voice and the other a female voice like is possible with two computers……. That makes is easy to tell from the voice alert which of the two bands has the activity. Perhaps that capability will be in V3?

Jerry KE7DJD

Jerry,

Thanks for the update.

FYI, the future JTAlertV3 allows for different voice types on a per alert basis (eg Male DXXC, Female for State) but not on a per instance basis.
JTAlertV3 is single instance only, no more multiple instances of JTAlert, so instance based voiced announcements would need to become Band-based announcements. I'll add that request to the wish-list.

de Laurie VK3AMA

KD7YZ Bob

Edited

With the Dual JTAlert and WSJT-x running, "should" I see the decoded stations appear in the #2 JTAlert ?
I looked briefly thru past posts to forum and didn't find my answer.

I am now only seeing Decodes Callsign in instance #1

edit:::
Like Jerry KE7DJD did, I made several back-n-forth changes ...messing with one instance of both sets running, individually pairs ...changing the udp port(s), matching in each respective pairs ...
and "somehow" now JTAlert, in both pairs, reports decoded call-signs from the respective WSJTx instance

Yikes! will this work after a sys-reboot(?) hi hi

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 22/06/2020 7:49 pm, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
With the Dual JTAlert and WSJT-x running, "should" I see the decoded stations appear in the #2 JTAlert ?
I looked briefly thru past posts to forum and didn't find my answer.

I am now only seeing Decodes Callsign in instance #1

Very likely you had both WSJT-X instances using the same UDP Server port. They need to be different. See the JTAlert Help file, "Tutorials -> WSJT-X UDP Setup" topic.

de Laurie VK3AMA