locked v2.16.7 No Sound - Realtec - Windows 10 - WSJT-X v2.2.1

John

Hi Joe,

Tried that and still no alert sounds and no JTAlertV2.manager in the sounder screen
73

John

> I thought it would say JTAlertV2.manager

It should.

> It will happen after I make a QSO and log it (in Log4OM.V!)

If you're seeing JTAlert instead of JTAlertV2.manager, the sound is
probably an error sound (Windows Error).  Acts like you do not have
JTAlert configured correctly for the proper sound card.  Go to Settings
-> Manage Settings -> Sound Card.  Select any sound card *except* your
Realtek [Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)] then go back and
select Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio).  Set the Volume in
"Test Sound Card" at around 50% and click "Test Play".

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-06-17 11:17 AM, John wrote:

Bill, I have found a way to get the JTAlert to show up on the volume mixer. But
I thought it would say JTAlertV2.manager

It will happen after I make a QSO and log it (in Log4OM.V!)

BUT, I still don't hear any alerts or the test sound

John

John

Laurie,

Just loaded 2.16.8 into both computers and now the sound seems to be working as it should
Thank you so much for such a great program. JTAlert and WSJT-X are a good combination and make amateur radio more enjoyable during this very low propagation period
73,
John,
--
John Mc Hugh, K4AG
Coordinator for Amateur Radio

John

Hi Joe,

Thanks, I I tried all of that with no sucess

On 18/06/2020 1:17 am, John wrote:
It will happen after I make a QSO and log it (in Log4OM.V!)

That is a system generate sound initiated by JTAlert itself and sent to your Windows default device. All Alert sounds are generated by the JTAlertV2.Manager process which is not appearing in Mixer and that is the problem.

On 17/06/2020 11:36 pm, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Maybe Laurie could add a startup null play to enable the mixer entry.

Mike W9MDB

Sorry Mike, that is not going to happen.

I went down that path in the past when I implemented a form of sound stay-alive, periodically playing a zero-volume wav file in order to stop sound-devices going to sleep. The end result was numerous complaints of VOX triggered Rigs going to TX every few seconds because the user sound-devices got re-ordered by Windows and the JTAlert sound device was now the Windows default and the users had WSJT-X set to use the default device rather than a named device.

The Keep-Alive was initially introduced because of my Nvidia HDMI device going into a power-save mode after 5 secs of inactivity. This caused the first part of a new sound to be lost as the device came out of sleep. The Nvidia driver doesn't provide any user access to this power-saving mechanism so it can't be turned off or length adjusted except through direct Registry changes which seem to get reset after a few days. Ultimately I solved my Nvidia problem by using the Microsoft High-Definition audio driver, replacing the Nvidia driver.

On 17/06/2020 11:25 pm, John wrote:
Laurie,

Here's what I get on both computers

JTAlert Instance????? : #1

JTAlertV2.Manager status
(2020-06-17 13:14:21 utc)
-----------------------------------
Audio????????? : Initialized : YES

John

John,

OK, the non-initialized Audio module is not the problem.

Lets focus on one PC only now that I know it is not a multiple instance issue.

Choose one of your PCs, Run JTAlert as normal. All the following tests can be performed from the Sound menu, there is no need to open the Settings window.
  • Wait for 30 seconds after JTAlert startup then check the list of sound devices under the "Sound -> Select Output Device" menu, they should all be listed normally without any 32 character truncation of the device name.

  • Use the "Test Sound Output" menu 3 times, if there is no sound played, temporarily choose a different device (it doesn't need to produce sound) and repeat the "Test Sound Output" 3 times. Now switch back to the correct device and again perform the test 3 times. Does the sound now play?

  • If there is still no sound played after going through the test play -> switch device -> test play -> switch device back to original -> test play sequence use the "Help" (or "? ") -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2020-06-17 11:17 AM, John wrote:
Bill, I have found a way to get the JTAlert to show up on the volume mixer. But
I thought it would say JTAlertV2.manager
It will happen after I make a QSO and log it (in Log4OM.V!)
BUT, I still don't hear any alerts or the test sound
John

John

Bill, I have found a way to get the JTAlert to show up on the volume mixer. But I thought it would say JTAlertV2.manager

It will happen after I make a QSO and log it (in Log4OM.V!)

BUT, I still don't hear any alerts or the test sound

John

John

So do I. I run two separate setups. Each radio+antenna has it's own PC, one Win10 home and the other Win10 Pro. same problem on each one

John

On 6/17/2020 3:06 AM, Kyle K7KE wrote:
Sorry, I only run one instance.
--
--Kyle--  K7KE
_._,_._,_

That would explain why it didn't show on mine until I switched audio devices and played a test sound.

I guess that's because the mixer doesn't know the app is running until it plays a sound.

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 08:30:37 AM CDT, g4wjs <bill.8@...> wrote:

On 17/06/2020 14:18, John wrote:
> Laurie,
>
> You misunderstood me. I run two totally separate setups. Two
> radios+antennas and each has it's own computer, one using Win10 Home
> and the other using Win10 Pro. I only have one session of JTAlert
> running on each PC and I get the same problem on each.
> here is the? shot of the Volume mixer I get on each PC

John,

the JTAlert mixer slider in the Windows Volume Mixerwill only show while
sound is being played. Does it appear when you use the JTAlert sound
test facility, and what level is it at?

Bill
G4WJS.

John

Me too, but I have it running on two different computers

John

On 6/17/2020 3:06 AM, Kyle K7KE wrote:
Sorry, I only run one instance.
--
--Kyle--?? K7KE

--
John Mc Hugh, K4AG
Coordinator for Amateur Radio
National Hurricane Center, WX4NHC
Home page:- http://www.wx4nhc.org

I assume it does work through the other Speakers device?

JTAlert Manager wasn't showing up on my mixer for my headset until I switched the sound device to another device and back again.
Mine is not RealTec.

Mike W9MDB

On Wednesday, June 17, 2020, 08:22:22 AM CDT, John <k4ag@...> wrote:

Laurie,

You misunderstood me. I run two totally separate setups. Two radios+antennas and each has it's own computer, one using Win10 Home and the other using Win10 Pro. I only have one session of JTAlert running on each PC and I get the same problem on each.
here is the? shot of the Volume mixer I get on each PC

John

Laurie,

Here's what I get on both computers

JTAlert Instance????? : #1
JTAlert Start Params? : /wsjtx
WSJT-X Window Title?? : WSJT-X?? v2.2.1?? by K1JT, G4WJS, and K9AN
WSJT-X Command Line?? : C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\wsjtx.exe
WSJT-X?? --rig-name?? :
WSJT-X Config File??? : C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\WSJT-X.ini
WSJT-X Version??????? : 2.2.1
WSJT-X Revision?????? : a17eb9
WSJT-X Spec Op Mode?? : None
WSJT-X UDP ID???????? : WSJT-X
WSJT-X UDP Port?????? : 2237
WSJT-X UDP Server???? : 127.0.0.1
WSJT-X UDP Max Schema : 3

================================
UDP Ports used
--------------------------------
JTAlert_AL.exe??????? : 61810
JTAlertV2.Manager.exe : 63430
JTAlertV2.Decodes.exe :

================================
JTAlertV2.Manager status
(2020-06-17 13:14:21 utc)
-----------------------------------
Audio????????? : Initialized : YES
BandData?????? : Initialized : YES
HamSpots?????? : Initialized : YES
Text Msgs????? : Initialized : YES
QRZ Xml??????? : Initialized : YES
HamQth Xml???? : Initialized : YES
QRZ Log??????? : Initialized : YES
HamQth Log???? : Initialized : YES
ClubLog Log??? : Initialized : YES
Eqsl Log?????? : Initialized : YES
HrdLog Log???? : Initialized : YES
DXLab DDE????? : Initialized : YES
User Alert???? : Initialized : YES
Updates Chk??? : Initialized : YES
Maintenance??? : Initialized : YES

John

g4wjs

On 17/06/2020 14:18, John wrote:
[...]

Kyle K7KE

Sorry, I only run one instance.
--
--Kyle--  K7KE

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/06/2020 11:41 pm, John wrote:
However, some times when I open?? a session it will work, but only about 5-10% of the time
73, John

When you next experience sound not playing on one instance, use the JTAlert Help -> About menu on that problem instance and check the status of the JTAlertV2.Manager and see if the Audio module is initialized. If it isn't that is the cause of the no sound, as to why it is not initialized, that is something else that will take some effort to debug.

On 15/06/2020 11:41 pm, John wrote:
However, some times when I open?? a session it will work, but only about 5-10% of the time
73, John

So this is an intermittent issue, one JTAlert instance not playing sounds while the other does. Is that correct?

I may find something in your JTAlert session files. Please use the "Help" (or "? ") -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis. Do this after having run your multiple JTAlert instances concurrently and performed a couple of "Test Sound Output" operations from each instance and when one instance does not play sounds.

On 17/06/2020 3:26 am, Kyle K7KE wrote:
Same behavior here.

Kyle
K7KE
Exact same behavior, are you sure?

Two or more concurrently running JTAlert instances, playing sounds from each instance but one not producing sound, is that what your seeing? If so, does the non-playing instance show a slider in the Mixer after using the "Test Sound Output" menu? With 2 instances concurrently running and a sound test performed from each should produce 2 volume sliders in the Mixer. If it doesn't than something is wrong.

If it is a windows issue, there is nothing I can do, if it is a JTAlert issue I may find something in your JTAlert session files. Please use the "Help" (or "? ") -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis. Do this after having run your multiple JTAlert instances concurrently and performed a couple of "Test Sound Output" operations from each instance.

On 15/06/2020 11:41 pm, John wrote:
But the problem is I get no sound when I do that.

Open the Mixer window and ensure that all volume sliders are visible. Windows does not automatically adjust the width as sliders are added when a new application plays a sound.

This is my Mixer when running 3 instances of JTAlert and each has had a Test sound played...

My third JTAlert instance was not generating any sound, expanding the Mixer window revealed why...

Windows will remember the volume settings for individual applications. Each JTAlert instance is seen by Windows as a separate application, thus the three volume sliders in the above image and why one of my instances was not producing sound (the master volume was set at zero).

If you use the "Test Sound Output" menu to play a test sound from each JTAlert instance (make sure you have your JTAlert instances running concurrently) then there should be a slider for each instance, 2 sliders one for each of the for 2 concurrently running instances.

de Laurie VK3AMA