locked v2.16.7 No Sound - Realtec - Windows 10 - WSJT-X v2.2.1

Ralph Smith

Just upgraded to version 2.16.7 to fix the problem with the decodes. Now my sound alerts has broken. I am using Windows 10 Pro, Realtec high Def audio (integrated in motherboard). Sounds from all other applications work fine. Seems to be a bug in the software - I have tried everything to restore it (rebooting, windows updates, etc.) There is no slide control in the volume mixer for JTAlert. Alert manager is running OK as a application (seen in Task manager). Please help. See below screen snip of JTAlert sound configuration; and the volume mixer:

- W2ZF

Jacek SQ9ETV

Hi
set the card as Realtek Audio Output, not Digital ...

Ralph Smith

Jacek, thank you. I would try that if I had a Realtek analog audio output. On my PC I am using the optical digital output on the soundcard to the optical input of my speakers. So there is no other Realtec output (See below) and I have already tried them all. And the current audio set-up works wery well, except for the updated release of the JTAlert software. The JTAlert software doesnt show up as an application in the volume mixer. I suspect its not operator error, but a change in the JTAlert software is preventing JTAlert from linking with the PC's audio application.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 14/06/2020 6:22 am, Ralph Smith wrote:
Jacek, thank you. I would try that if I had a Realtek analog audio output. On my PC I am using the optical digital output on the soundcard to the optical input of my speakers. So there is no other Realtec output (See below) and I have already tried them all. And the current audio set-up works wery well, except for the updated release of the JTAlert software. The JTAlert software doesnt show up as an application in the volume mixer. I suspect its not operator error, but a change in the JTAlert software is preventing JTAlert from linking with the PC's audio application.

Ralph,

In bullet point form because it is easier to read/follow...
  • There were no changes to audio management in the recent release. There haven't been any changes for several releases.

  • Application volume sliders appearing in the Sound Mixer are controlled by Windows, JTAlert has no control over that.

  • The main JTAlert.exe executable doesn't perform any audio playback and will not appear in the Mixer.

  • All JTAlert audio is managed by the "JTAlertV2.Manager.exe" process and it is this process that will appear in the Mixer.

  • Application volume sliders in the Mixer will only become visible once Windows has detected a sound-play type event from the application.

  • An example from my Realtek (digital) output tests ...

    • Mixer before first sound is played from JTAlert.

    • Mixer after Windows has detected the JTAlert sound-play event.

  • To make your life easier, you can perform Sound Output device changes and play tests from the main JTAlert window without having to open the Settings window. Via the "Sound" menu.

  • I suggest you try tests against other Sound devices regardless of whether they will produce sound. Just a test to see if those devices will show "JTAlertV2.Manager" in the mixer after a test sound is played.

  • If "JTAlertV2.Manager" repeatedly doesn't show in the Mixer for other audio devices then the likely causes are your PC protection software interfering and blocking the UDP control message sent from JTAlert to the Manager process, the "JTAlertV2.Manager" itself is not running or the Audio module of the Manager is not initialized. You can check the status of all Manager modules via the JTAlert "Help -> About" menu.

If you still can't resolve use the "Help" (or "? ") -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Norbert Graf - DD3KF

Hi Laurie,

hi All,

Since a few days I have also had problems with the audio alerts via JTAlert. Possibly after a Windows 10 64 bit update.

According to my observations, this seems to be a problem of Windows 10 and not of JTAlert, because I haven't had any audio output outside of JTAlert since that time.

I remembered many weeks ago someone suggested a solution. I have implemented this.

What have I done?

I installed a cheap USB sound stick (less than 10 US $) and declared this stick as the default device in the sound mixer.  The stick is not used operational.

After that I get audio alerts from JTAlert again via my Realtek High Definition Audio device.

Maybe other JTAlert users can solve the sound problem in this or a similar way.

73!

______________

Norbert Graf

52078 Aachen

[...]

I ran into the same problem after updating to the latest release of Windows 10 64 bit (2004). My generic cheapo external USB audio stick would not get recognized by Windows.  I ordered a similar USB device from Amazon and it worked just fine on Windows 10 2004.  The original external USB audio stick worked fine in an another Windows 10 machine.

I suspect some driver issue with Windows 10 64 bit... a re-occurring theme in the Windows world ...
--
73, Bernie, VE3FWF

Ralph Smith

Guys, Please keep this thread about my issue; unless you have the same issue. If you have upgraded Windows 10 or changed your sound hardware; please start a new thread.

I will review the very helpful material provided by de Laurie VK3AMA shortly; and let you know what I find out.

73,
W2ZF

John

Laurie,

How do I get JTAlertV2.manager to open in the windows Volume Mixer?
Sometimes when I start a session it does and sometimes it doesn't
I tried to execute it in Hamapps/JTAlert/plugins but it still doesn't (when I do this� I get what looks like a DOS screen that flashes too quickly to read).
When it doesn't I get no sound alerts, nor the sound card test voice

Thanks,
John

[...]

John Mc Hugh, K4AG
Coordinator for Amateur Radio
National Hurricane Center, WX4NHC
Home page:- http://www.wx4nhc.org

On 15/06/2020 6:35 am, John wrote:
How do I get JTAlertV2.manager to open in the windows Volume Mixer?
Sometimes when I start a session it does and sometimes it doesn't
I tried to execute it in Hamapps/JTAlert/plugins but it still doesn't (when I do this� I get what looks like a DOS screen that flashes too quickly to read).
When it doesn't I get no sound alerts, nor the sound card test voice

Thanks,
John

From my original post..
  • Application volume sliders appearing in the Sound Mixer are controlled by Windows, JTAlert has no control over that.

  • Application volume sliders in the Mixer will only become visible once Windows has detected a sound-play type event from the application.

The only way to get JTAlertV2.manager to show as a volume slider in Mixer is to have JTAlert play a sound. If Windows does not detect that Sound Play event because something is blocking it or it is not running then the Manager will not show in Mixer.

The JTAlertV2.manager executable is a console application without a Windows form and is not designed to be run manually. It is coded to expect a specific number of command-line parameters from JTAlert and to run as a background process without an output window.

de Laurie VK3AMA

John

From my original post..

The only way to get JTAlertV2.manager to show as a volume slider in Mixer is to have JTAlert play a sound.

So how do you get it to do that?

73,
John

neil_zampella

As Laurie said previously:

To make your life easier, you can perform Sound Output device changes and play tests from the main JTAlert window without having to open the Settings window. Via the "Sound" menu.

Just click on Test Sound Output

Neil, KN3ILZ

John

Tnx Neil,

But the problem is I get no sound when I do that.
I have Win10 Pro
WSJT v2.2.1
JTAlert 2.16.7
Log4OMV1
External sound card

Have logged thousands of contacts and everything works fine except the sound alerts.
They are turned on in the settings section and the Realtek Speaker is set as "Sound Output Device"
However, some times when I open?? a session it will work, but only about 5-10% of the time
73, John

.

On 6/15/2020 6:24 AM, neil_zampella wrote:

As Laurie said previously:

??

To make your life easier, you can perform Sound Output device changes and play tests from the main JTAlert window without having to open the Settings window. Via the "Sound" menu.

??

Just click on Test Sound Output

??

Neil, KN3ILZ

??

--
John Mc Hugh, K4AG
Coordinator for Amateur Radio
National Hurricane Center, WX4NHC
Home page:- http://www.wx4nhc.org

neil_zampella

If you're not getting a sound when clicking on that, then I would open up the Windows Mixer for the Realtek speaker device and see if you get the JT-Alert processs (forget the name) appears in the mixer.  If not, then there's an issue with the settings.

I am guessing the external card is used with WSJT-X, and the internal is the 'Realtek?   I have the same type of  setup on Win 10 (which causes other audio problems) and have no issues with the Realtek device.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 09:41 AM, John wrote:

Tnx Neil,

But the problem is I get no sound when I do that.
I have Win10 Pro
WSJT v2.2.1
JTAlert 2.16.7
Log4OMV1
External sound card

Have logged thousands of contacts and everything works fine except the sound alerts.
They are turned on in the settings section and the Realtek Speaker is set as "Sound Output Device"
However, some times when I open?? a session it will work, but only about 5-10% of the time
73, John

Kyle K7KE

John is not imaging this problem. Same behavior here.

Kyle
K7KE

John

Tnx Neil,

I have two stations with the setup below except the other is Win10 Home and it users a Signalink rather than the external sound card.
In WSJT, under setting/audio I show the in and out using the USB codec
In JTAlert under "Settings"/Sound card I get nothing and under"Sound ON/ Sound output device" I show {1} Speakers (Realtek High Definition) and when I click Test Sound Output I hear nothing on either computer
Right clicking the speaker icon on the right side of the task bar all I see is the Speakers and System sound volume controls in the Volume Mixer Window
On the occasions when it has worked I see the JTAlertV2.Manager slider in the Volume Mixer window.
It's strange that this is happening on two separate systems.
This is very frustrating, any ideas?

73
John

On 15/06/2020 11:41 pm, John wrote:
But the problem is I get no sound when I do that.

Open the Mixer window and ensure that all volume sliders are visible. Windows does not automatically adjust the width as sliders are added when a new application plays a sound.

This is my Mixer when running 3 instances of JTAlert and each has had a Test sound played...

My third JTAlert instance was not generating any sound, expanding the Mixer window revealed why...

Windows will remember the volume settings for individual applications. Each JTAlert instance is seen by Windows as a separate application, thus the three volume sliders in the above image and why one of my instances was not producing sound (the master volume was set at zero).

If you use the "Test Sound Output" menu to play a test sound from each JTAlert instance (make sure you have your JTAlert instances running concurrently) then there should be a slider for each instance, 2 sliders one for each of the for 2 concurrently running instances.

On 17/06/2020 3:26 am, Kyle K7KE wrote:
Same behavior here.

Kyle
K7KE
Exact same behavior, are you sure?

Two or more concurrently running JTAlert instances, playing sounds from each instance but one not producing sound, is that what your seeing? If so, does the non-playing instance show a slider in the Mixer after using the "Test Sound Output" menu? With 2 instances concurrently running and a sound test performed from each should produce 2 volume sliders in the Mixer. If it doesn't than something is wrong.

If it is a windows issue, there is nothing I can do, if it is a JTAlert issue I may find something in your JTAlert session files. Please use the "Help" (or "? ") -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis. Do this after having run your multiple JTAlert instances concurrently and performed a couple of "Test Sound Output" operations from each instance.

On 15/06/2020 11:41 pm, John wrote:
However, some times when I open?? a session it will work, but only about 5-10% of the time
73, John

So this is an intermittent issue, one JTAlert instance not playing sounds while the other does. Is that correct?

I may find something in your JTAlert session files. Please use the "Help" (or "? ") -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis. Do this after having run your multiple JTAlert instances concurrently and performed a couple of "Test Sound Output" operations from each instance and when one instance does not play sounds.

On 15/06/2020 11:41 pm, John wrote:
However, some times when I open?? a session it will work, but only about 5-10% of the time
73, John

When you next experience sound not playing on one instance, use the JTAlert Help -> About menu on that problem instance and check the status of the JTAlertV2.Manager and see if the Audio module is initialized. If it isn't that is the cause of the no sound, as to why it is not initialized, that is something else that will take some effort to debug.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Kyle K7KE

Sorry, I only run one instance.
--