locked Midway?

Michael Black

Saw this.....but he's in Hawaii and working from a 4 zone.  So how do we get Midway?
2.16.7
I can just put his callsign in WSJT-X and it shows up like this.

Inline image

Mike W9MDB

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/06/2020 6:39 am, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Saw this.....but he's in Hawaii and working from a 4 zone.  So how do we get Midway?
2.16.7
I can just put his callsign in WSJT-X and it shows up like this.

Mike W9MDB

The problem is the "/4" AH6P is using.

The JTAlert cty.dat file parsing is returning KH4 which is Midway, I don't know if that is correct or not

If he had signed for the other US cq zones he comes up as..
    Zone 3: AH6P/3 -> KH3 Johnston Island
    Zone 5: AH6P/5 -> KH5 Palmyra & Jarvis Islands

Using DXLab DXView as my gold standard it returns the same results except for no DXCC for AH6P/4

I am not familiar with the US licensing requirements, but is it normal to indicate the operating zone in such a way? I don't recall ever seeing this before, signing using the operating Zone number as a portable suffix.

Looking at a US map with a zones overlay, I note that zone 4 covers a majority of the US land-mass, perhaps he should be signing AH4P/K to indicate he's operating from the US or is there a better alternative like indicating the Licensing area, how does that work for the US?

de Laurie VK3AMA

Steve, N3SL

I believe JTAlert is doing EXACTLY what is expected with that callsign.  AH6P should be signing /W4!

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 4:19 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
[...]

g4wjs

On 09/06/2020 22:19, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
[...]

Hi Laurie,

I believe it is not zone but call area. Once it was required in the days when calls were strictly issued by call area, now calls can be moved at will there's no longer a requirement but it is useful with island entity like Hawaii when operated form the mainland.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill
G4WJS.

Jim N6VH

On 6/9/2020 2:26 PM, g4wjs wrote:
[...]

Yes, you are right. He is using the /4 to indicate the call area. However, that is interpreted by some logging programs as /AH4, which is Midway. Log4OM v2 (my main logging program) considers AH6P/4 as Midway. Log4Om v1 lists it as Hawaii. N1MM+ shows Midway. DXKeeper, as Laurie already mentioned, doesn't list a country, and asks for a country code to be entered. ACLog lists it as Hawaii.  Swisslog shows Midway. If I enter AH6P/W4, all logs correctly show United States. That would probably be the better call for him to use.

73,

Jim N6VH

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 11/06/2020 6:27 am, Jim N6VH wrote:

Yes, you are right. He is using the /4 to indicate the call area. However, that is interpreted by some logging programs as /AH4, which is Midway. Log4OM v2 (my main logging program) considers AH6P/4 as Midway. Log4Om v1 lists it as Hawaii. N1MM+ shows Midway. DXKeeper, as Laurie already mentioned, doesn't list a country, and asks for a country code to be entered. ACLog lists it as Hawaii.  Swisslog shows Midway. If I enter AH6P/W4, all logs correctly show United States. That would probably be the better call for him to use.

73,

Jim N6VH

Jim, good report, thanks for the tests.

It could be worse, the Station in question could be running portable in Zone 5 and signing "/P5".

de Laurie VK3AMA

Jim N6VH

On 11/06/2020 6:27 am, Jim N6VH wrote:

Yes, you are right. He is using the /4 to indicate the call area. However, that is interpreted by some logging programs as /AH4, which is Midway. Log4OM v2 (my main logging program) considers AH6P/4 as Midway. Log4Om v1 lists it as Hawaii. N1MM+ shows Midway. DXKeeper, as Laurie already mentioned, doesn't list a country, and asks for a country code to be entered. ACLog lists it as Hawaii.  Swisslog shows Midway. If I enter AH6P/W4, all logs correctly show United States. That would probably be the better call for him to use.

73,

Jim N6VH

Jim, good report, thanks for the tests.

It could be worse, the Station in question could be running portable in Zone 5 and signing "/P5".

de Laurie VK3AMA

_._,_._,_

I can't even imagine what the band would sound like - especially when everybody turned on their amps.  :-)

73,

Jim N6VH

Carter

In 2002, I worked P5/4L4FN on 15 meter RTTY. The band was not overloaded with amps as you might expect. The only problem was that he was running at the "European" 66 words per minute instead of the more usual 60 wpm. Fortunately, after a couple of calls I realized that and changed the Kantronics KAM+ to 66 wpm and got him on the first call and his QSL.