Topics

locked Special callsigns

Michael Black

Laurie -- I noticed that the special event 1x1 callsigns should be handled a bit differently.

Probably something like having an expiration time on B4 detection.  Since these things are only good for a short while and the events change constantly.
So having a pull down with maybe a 30-day default for B4 detection would work.

So those that want to work these don't ever get alerted a 2nd time for any specific call once you work any particular one.

Opinion?

Mike

Tom Melvin

Hi

Might be a PITA to program - you mention 1 x 1 but if the Prefix is 2 characters e.g.  GM  then it fails - so GM2T which is a special event/contest callsign you would want to apply the same.  Are ALL 1 x 1 callsigns special events - would be a problem if genuine call was treated like that.  You mention a pull-down to set expiration - are people going to use that on a per QSO basis or were you thinking of having a global setting for all 1x1, 2x1 etc.

Tom

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 7 Jun 2020, at 16:20, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

Laurie -- I noticed that the special event 1x1 callsigns should be handled a bit differently.

Probably something like having an expiration time on B4 detection.  Since these things are only good for a short while and the events change constantly.
So having a pull down with maybe a 30-day default for B4 detection would work.

So those that want to work these don't ever get alerted a 2nd time for any specific call once you work any particular one.

Opinion?

Mike

Michael Black

There are 750 special event callsigns in U.S.  I haven't looked up foreign ones.

The point here to get JTAlert to recognize these as need-to-be-worked since they expire so quickly.

A regular expression detects them.

"[WKN][0-9][A-WYZ]"

And this to detect one with a suffix.
"[WKN][0-9][A-WYZ]/"

Mike W9MDB

On Sunday, June 7, 2020, 12:10:28 PM CDT, Tom Melvin <tom@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Cooper

On 7 Jun 2020 at 18:04, Tom Melvin wrote:

Might be a PITA to program - you
mention 1 x 1 but if the Prefix is 2
characters e.g. GM then it fails -
so GM2T which is a special
event/contest callsign you would
want to apply the same. Are ALL 1 x 1
callsigns special events - would be
a problem if genuine call was treated
like that. You mention a pull-down
to set expiration - are people going
to use that on a per QSO basis or
were you thinking of having a global
setting for all 1x1, 2x1 etc.
tom ...

unlike most other countries these days,
it seems, the USA allows ONLY one kind
of 'special event' call sign ... a 1x1 such
as W2A .... NOBODY else gets a 1x1 call
sign for a regular license.

The point the poster is getting at is that
these 1x1 USA special event call signs are
ROTATED on a weekly, or at most a few
weeks, at a time and then issued for some
other special event. So you work W2E
this week, and next week it is for a totally
different special event -- that you probably
want to work again. (Causes a real PITA for
the QSL managers for the special events too,
as they are always getting cards for the wrong
event with the same call sign). Not the brightest
idea of our licensing commission ...

w2jc

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 8/06/2020 3:52 am, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
There are 750 special event callsigns in U.S.  I haven't looked up foreign ones.

The point here to get JTAlert to recognize these as need-to-be-worked since they expire so quickly.

A regular expression detects them.

"[WKN][0-9][A-WYZ]"

And this to detect one with a suffix.
"[WKN][0-9][A-WYZ]/"

Mike W9MDB

Any coded solution has to be flexible enough to take into account the fundamental question "what is a special event Callsign? There is no clearly defined answer, is is subject to the whims of a user. A 1x1 callsign is may be a special event call to a US based Ham, but not so for many others. Here in VK 1x1 callsigns are not permitted or available . What is a special event callsign is no different from what is a DX callsign, there is no right or wrong answer.

Any coded solution I develop is guaranteed to be incorrect for some users 5 minutes after a public release.

My preferred option is to allow the user to decide what is a special event callsign and adjust their alerting as need.

Using the current JTAlert framework there are a number of ways to tackle the "avoid reporting B4 for special event Callsigns".
  • With the 1x1 callsigns, changing hands every week or so, they will likely be operating from different locations, so setting the B4 alert to consider the on-air Grid will allow for Alerting when the Callsign is reassigned and they start CQing from a new Grid. This also works for roving stations that may operated from a number of Grids iover a short period of time (hours, days, weeks, etc).

  • Add the special event Callsign(s) as a Wanted Callsign and enable the "ignore B4" option for that Alert. Either a list of callsigns can be imported for the Wanted Callsign Alert or add the Callsigns as needed via the right-click context menu of the alerted Callsign.

Actually there is a clearly defined answer in the U.S.

The grid alert solution should work as long as they provide a grid.

Mike

On Sunday, June 7, 2020, 05:17:19 PM CDT, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

[...]

Come to think of it though, the grid alert could be very annoying for a lot of ops alerting every decode cycle on all the non-special calls.

The wanted callsign would alert you when they call, and then you'd leave it for working multiple bands, but then get a new alert every time it showed up again in the same band.

Neither is a robust solution.

Perhaps a special callsign file that gets referred to for the 1x1 pattern and has an expiration date of 15 days?

That file could then have foreign special calls added too of course.

Starter file

Mike

On Sunday, June 7, 2020, 10:32:20 PM CDT, Black Michael <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tom Melvin

Morning

One issue, this would have to be under a UI - some users, shall we say, by their nature are nervous around computers, letting them loose with a text editor - I can imaging the traffic here. The file will as you point out will be OK for US users but as Laurie commented   'Any coded solution I develop is guaranteed to be incorrect for some users 5 minutes after a public release.

Just playing devil’s advocate here as 1x1 US calls don’t affect me in the slightest.

The saying 'Can of Worms' comes to mind.

Tom

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 8 Jun 2020, at 05:00, Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98@...> wrote:

[...]

WB5JJJ - George

My solution is, and has always been right in front of my face.

I just watch the WSJTx Band Activity window and let JTA do what it does the best, the voice announcements to get my attention for anything I might overlook, like a new DXCC.  1x1's and other special calls jump out at me all the time, even if they are color-coded as having been worked before for some previous special event.

I spend most of my time watching the BA window as it's easier to scan with everything in a single row, whereas the JTA has things in a horizontal AND vertical plane per entry.  I can scan the BA window in half the time it takes me to scan the JTA grid.  I have B4 ignore turned on, CQ only unchecked and using the 8x3 display.  This setup still gets a bit overwhelming to decipher in less than 15s.

Don't get me wrong, but the JTA announcements and grid display are a vital part of my operation.  And yes, I do scan it frequently, but as a backup to WSJTx which is a much faster visual scan for these older eyes and slower reaction times.
--
73's
George - WB5JJJ

WB8ASI Herb

Take a look at the JTA Decodes window.  I use it all the time because I can scan everything vertically much faster, and you can fine tune any filtering you desire.  Try it and I think you'll like it.  73 Herb WB8ASI