locked Question on audio alert options by band

Paul AC9O

I think I know the answer, but will ask anyway.

Is there any way to select audio alerts by band?

I have audio alerts for DXCC, Zone, Continent, etc on all bands. Also have alerts turned on for Prefix, Grid on all bands.

Audio grid alerts on HF bands would be fairly constant and annoying. I prefer just to see the alert color.

However, on VHF, I would like to hear alerts, especially if I am away from the desk. But I can't find any settings by band for audio.

Not a big deal, but can always hope!

Thanks for all the great work!

73
Paul, AC9O

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 6/06/2020 4:07 am, Paul AC9O wrote:
I think I know the answer, but will ask anyway.

Is there any way to select audio alerts by band?

I have audio alerts for DXCC, Zone, Continent, etc on all bands. Also have alerts turned on for Prefix, Grid on all bands.

Audio grid alerts on HF bands would be fairly constant and annoying. I prefer just to see the alert color.

However, on VHF, I would like to hear alerts, especially if I am away from the desk. But I can't find any settings by band for audio.

Not a big deal, but can always hope!

Thanks for all the great work!

73
Paul, AC9O

Simplest solution is to click the "Sound" menu to "Sound OFF" to mute the sounds when on HF and turn them back on when on VHF.

If your running multiple JTAlert instances, say one on HF and one on VHF, then turn the Sounds off (via the main window menu) on the HF instance and leave the Sounds on for the VHF instance.

There is also the opinion to restrict Alert sounds to specific UTC hours.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Hasan Schiers N0AN

I do exactly that for 6 meters vs. HF. I have a Miscellaneous Alerts file using the wildcard matching symbol "%"

Since I want to know if 6m is open for virtually any DX, I use a lot of single letter matching, for example:

8% Barbados and Maldive Islands etc.
9%  covers 9A and  9N as well as others like 9Y and 9Z
J% covers Japan and J68
C% covers Cuba, Chile , Bahamas. Etc.
D% covers Germany and Cape Verde and Philipines etc
G% covers UK etc
P% covers Brazil, Brazil, Netherlands
S% covers Croatia, Sweden, Poland, Western Sahara
KH% for Hawaii and Pacific
KL% for Alaska (still needed on 6m)
VK%
Z% Albania,   New Zealand, Gibraltar,  etc

These can be placed in a text file, single line separated by commas and imported with one button press:

C%,D%,G%  and so on

The goal was to be alerted by every area except USA and Canada if heard on 6 meters.

Use on HF to test your filter entries, then keep off (uncheck enable in miscellaneous filters). When you want 6m alerts for any DX,  just check the enable box.

73, N0AN

Hasan

On Fri, Jun 5, 2020, 3:14 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Laurie and Hasan for the ideas.

Some don't quite fit, but that's ok. The sound on/off is all or nothing. I still want the sound for DXCC and States on HF. I am only 7 away from 5BWAS and don't want to miss any.

I haven't tried multiple instances, will consider that. I only use one radio (IC-7300) that covers 6m which is where I am grid chasing the most.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

73
Paul, AC9O

Tom Melvin

Hassan

Remember to add M% for UK as well

Tom

On 7/06/2020 6:54 am, Tom Melvin wrote:
Remember to add M% for UK as well

Just make sure you don't go crazy with the number of wildcards.
From the "Wanted Callsign" topic in the help file...
Important : Wildcard matching is an expensive task, processing wise, and can lead to delays in decode alerting if there are many wildcards defined, especially if there are many decodes to process on a busy band. It is recommended that the number of wildcard filters be kept to a minimum, preferably less than 20.

The above was written when the Bands were not so busy and the number of decodes per period produced by WSJT-X was less than the now normal. 20 may now be too high depending on the Bands used and the capability of the PC running a JTAlert.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Laurie and Tom:

Keep in mind that goal was 6 meter ALERT for DX outside USA/CANADA.

The approach was based on Laurie's warning not to overload the Misc. Alert file. So my thinking was:

How often on 6m have I seen no G prefix, but have seen M prefix? For me, it's been nearly never. So G is used to take advantage of GM,GW, etc. So if 6m is open to EU, (UK), then I'm highly likely to see G.

If this approach is used all over the world, then selecting a few populated DX prefixes should catch many if not most band openings on 6m.

It was Laurie's warning that kept me from going too far and just get the biggest areas covered. I read that warning and took it to heart.

I have been watching the effects of the Misc Alert file I'm using and it has had virtually no impact on 6 meters, even during a pretty good opening, because the number of decodes per sequence is maybe 15 or 20 when things are just wild....but on 20 meters, it is easy to get > 30 decode per sequence and while this didn't cause any untoward symptoms, I could see a dramatic increase in CPU utilization at the end of the decode periods. I was seeing up to 75% CPU utilization on 20m, but no more than 15-25% on 6m when 6 was busy.

Of course, part of that load is from X itself!

Core I5, 3 GHz, 8 gB RAM, Win10Pro, Latest X 2.2.1, and a full DXLabSuite running along with 4 Browser tabs and a few other utilities.

Running latest Beta JTA atm.

I have gotten 3 new DXCC on 6 meters in the last 10 days and have been alerted to KL7HBK twice, but was not able to catch him in time, as it was a peek-a-boo opening that was one and done.

Misc Alerts are fantastic for 6 meters.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 4:26 PM HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:
On 7/06/2020 6:54 am, Tom Melvin wrote:
Remember to add M% for UK as well

Just make sure you don't go crazy with the number of wildcards.
From the "Wanted Callsign" topic in the help file...
Important : Wildcard matching is an expensive task, processing wise, and can lead to delays in decode alerting if there are many wildcards defined, especially if there are many decodes to process on a busy band. It is recommended that the number of wildcard filters be kept to a minimum, preferably less than 20.

The above was written when the Bands were not so busy and the number of decodes per period produced by WSJT-X was less than the now normal. 20 may now be too high depending on the Bands used and the capability of the PC running a JTAlert.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Tom Melvin

Comments all fine Hasan

I do know there a quite a few Scottish stations (MMxyyyy) are very active on 6m Es - while we are slightly further north so I suspect when 6M opens to USA you will get the G’s to the south, that will be enough to trip your alert, by the time it reaches us you are well aware there is opening.

So your G% will work well and for any others wanting to set something similar

Regards

Tom
GM8MJV

On 6 Jun 2020, at 23:04, Hasan Schiers N0AN <hbasri.schiers6@...> wrote:

[...]