locked JTAlert missing "bands" = 4m-band

Wilhelm.Rauh@...

Hello JTAlert-Team,

I have been using JTAlert together with JTDX for quite some time now and I enjoy it very much. I can no longer imagine FT8 without JTAlert.
So thank you very much for this excellent tool.

Unfortunately the 4m-band (70MHz) is missing under "bands".
Could you please add this ?

Many thanks in advance

Have further much fun with the common hobby.

73, Wilhelm (DL5MCG)

Norbert Graf - DD3KF

Hello, Laurie,

I support this request to include the 4m tape in your very useful program JTAlert.

Why?

In Europe the activity on this band is increasing. One reason is certainly that in the meantime transceivers with 4m capabilities are available, e.g. ICOM IC 7100, IC 7300 or Kenwood TS 890S.

To prove the increased activity on 4m here is the number of 4 digit GRID´s I worked May 2020 (using indoor antennas):
- 6m 170,
- 4m 70.

I often work with 2 instances of WSJT-X and JTAlert at the same time on 6m and 4m.

It is very irritating that on 4m every station that has not been worked before is signalled as NEW GRID.

In my opinion, the inclusion of the 4m band in JTALert would be a great enhancement and a great benefit to the users.

I sincerely hope that this request is feasible, perhaps in the future version 3.

TU es 73!

PS:
According to my observations the digital modes on 23 cm and above are not used very often. An extension to these bands is not necessary in my opion.

______________
Norbert Graf
D D 3 K F
Ringstr. 32
52078 Aachen
Germany

I have been using JTAlert together with JTDX for quite some time now and I enjoy it very much. I can no longer imagine FT8 without JTAlert.
So thank you very much for this excellent tool.

Unfortunately the 4m-band (70MHz) is missing under "bands".
Could you please add this ?

Many thanks in advance

Have further much fun with the common hobby.

73, Wilhelm (DL5MCG)

Willi Passmann

Am 03.06.2020 um 17:57 schrieb Norbert Graf - DD3KF:
I support this request to include the 4m tape in your very useful program JTAlert.
I already wondered if I missed a setting that would activate 4m...

I support this suggestion.

vy 73,
Willi, DJ6JZ

Tom Melvin

No no settings for 4m

4m Support I have been told will be in V3

With the recent Es over here as you guy will be familiar with it shows how handy JTAlert is. I really miss it on 70Mhz.

I got round it slightly by using one copy of WSJT-X dedicated to 4m, make sure all your 4m calls are in adf file. Set wsjt-x colours for new grid etc. and use it as a monitor - see a call, switch over to main system and work them, update adf file. Long winded I know but save a lot of ‘new grid’ warnings.

Tom

73

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 3 Jun 2020, at 20:04, Willi Passmann <wpassmann@web.de> wrote:

Am 03.06.2020 um 17:57 schrieb Norbert Graf - DD3KF:
I support this request to include the 4m tape in your very useful program JTAlert.
I already wondered if I missed a setting that would activate 4m...

I support this suggestion.

vy 73,
Willi, DJ6JZ

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 4/06/2020 1:57 am, Norbert Graf - DD3KF wrote:
I sincerely hope that this request is feasible, perhaps in the future version 3.

TU es 73!

PS:
According to my observations the digital modes on 23 cm and above are not used very often. An extension to these bands is not necessary in my opion.
4m inclusion in the Alert tracking for JTAlertV2 is on the todo list. It is a major undertaking to implement and in all honesty may not make it.
JTAlertV3 is a totally different animal, coding wise, it supports all bands from 2200m to 2m. Inclusion of additional bands is a rather trivial matter as is the inclusion of any new modes.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Norbert Graf - DD3KF

Laurie,

thank you. This is a real good news.

I understand that such a far-reaching intervention in version 2 is not
practically feasible and would delay the development of version 3.

I looking forward to the solution in the future version 3.

73

______________
Norbert Graf
D D 3 K F

On 4/06/2020 1:57 am, Norbert Graf - DD3KF wrote:
I sincerely hope that this request is feasible, perhaps in the future
version 3.

TU es 73!

PS:
According to my observations the digital modes on 23 cm and above are not
used very often. An extension to these bands is not necessary in my opion.

4m inclusion in the Alert tracking for JTAlertV2 is on the todo list. It is
a major undertaking to implement and in all honesty may not make it.
JTAlertV3 is a totally different animal, coding wise, it supports all bands
from 2200m to 2m. Inclusion of additional bands is a rather trivial matter
as is the inclusion of any new modes.

Here you go, the latest JTAlert build with full 4m support.

There was a lot of code changes so I might have broken something.
Please provide some feedback regarding the changes. Do they work correctly, is anything broken or missing, etc?

https://dnl.HamApps.com/Beta/JTAlert.2.16.6.build.0008.Beta.Setup.exe

de Laurie VK3AMA

Norbert Graf - DD3KF

Laurie,

TU for the Beta Version.

This morning we had a short opening on 4m.

ALERT Priority was set as follows:

- WANTED GRID
- WANTED DXCC
- CQ

The screen short shows what I found.

The station calling CQ from JO21 is alerted as NEW GRID on 4m.
In my logbook I found 4 other stations from this square which verified the
contact via LoTW.
Same result for other stations calling CQ from JO21 and JO31.

Few minutes later a station from IO75 was alerted as NEW GRID. This was
okay, because I never logged a station from this sqaure on 4m.

The B4 alerts are okay.

I had quick look on 20m and checked about 20 alterted WANTED GRID´s manually
against my log. Found no error. These GRID´s have been never worked B4 oder
the worked B4 were not verfied via LoTW or QSL card.

My working environment:
- Windows 10, 64 bit
- WSJT-X 2.2.0 GA 64 bit
- JTAlert 2.16.6
- HRD Log 6.7.0.277, logging via JTAlert

Hope this findings are helpful to you.

If you want some more tests please let me know.

73

______________
Norbert Graf
D D 3 K F

On 5/06/2020 10:29 pm, Norbert Graf - DD3KF wrote:
The station calling CQ from JO21 is alerted as NEW GRID on 4m.
In my logbook I found 4 other stations from this square which verified the
contact via LoTW.
Same result for other stations calling CQ from JO21 and JO31.

As 4m is a new band for JTAlert, all the 4m specific wanted lists are empty.
You need to run a "Scan Log & Rebuild" to get those internal lists updated with your 4m Log data.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Norbert Graf - DD3KF

Laurie,

I did a “Scan Log and Rebuild“ before testing.

Please see the screenshot for 4m.

The wrongly alerted WANTED GRID's JO21 and JO31 are included in this list.

In the afternoon there was another short opening on 4m. In this opening the described findings showed up again with stations from other verified GRID´s.

WANTED GRID Tracking on 6m and short wave working okay here.

73

______________

Norbert Graf

D D 3 K F

On 6/06/2020 7:33 am, Norbert Graf - DD3KF wrote:

I did a “Scan Log and Rebuild“ before testing.

Please see the screenshot for 4m.

The wrongly alerted WANTED GRID's JO21 and JO31 are included in this list.

In the afternoon there was another short opening on 4m. In this opening the described findings showed up again with stations from other verified GRID´s.

WANTED GRID Tracking on 6m and short wave working okay here.

73

Norbert Graf

OK Norbet,

I'll look into it and run some tests. Honestly with the amount of code changes and copy/pasted code needed to add the new band, I'm surprised there have not been other defect reports.

de Laurie VK3AMA