locked Linux Question

Robert Rampolla

I am aware I am not the only one interested in a Linux version. I also did some searches on the topic and I saw a discussion from a while ago. Will JTAlertX work in Linux Mint?

I have found the latest version of both WSJTx and JTDX are taxing my computer to the point I can not turn off enough background programs to make it flow well. I see others are complaining as well.  I am thinking of converting my Asus Vivo Book to a dual boot laptop.

g4wjs

On 28/05/2020 00:23, Robert Rampolla via groups.io wrote:
I am aware I am not the only one interested in a Linux version. I also did some searches on the topic and I saw a discussion from a while ago. Will JTAlertX work in Linux Mint?

I have found the latest version of both WSJTx and JTDX are taxing my computer to the point I can not turn off enough background programs to make it flow well. I see others are complaining as well.  I am thinking of converting my Asus Vivo Book to a dual boot laptop.
Hi Robert,

have you tried reducing the decode depth in WSJT-X ("Menu->Decode->Normal" or "Menu->Decode->Fast")?

Bill
G4WJS.

Robert Rampolla

Edited

Yes I was watching the task manager while operating and cut out many behind the scenes stuff and it still periodically had some big usages by Windows itself. Sometimes 100% cpu usage. The machine is a 1 year old Asus Windows 10 machine with 4 gig of ram and a 500 gig hdd. I am planning on upgrading it to its max of 12 gig of ram but that will not change anything for the dual core AMD CPU. Its two levels of cache are just stacking up too much when I run rig control, WSJTX and ACLog.  If I do not run JTAlertx  or log into ACLog no issues. This leaves me manually importing the log from WSJTX to ACLog.  That is not terrible but you loose the opportunity to see the contact's info prior to logging it and you lose the IM capability as well.

There are plenty of download packages containing WSJTX, FLRig and FLDigi so that is not an issue.  I might have to learn how to run the windows version in Wine.

Donald Hellen

Adding RAM will certainly help. If you don't have a solid state hard drive, adding one will help also. Not much you can do for the 2-core processor unless it's socketed and not soldered to the mainboard (some laptops have socketed CPUs--mine does). If it's a desktop PC you could do a lot for it but it might not be worth your time changing the mainboard, upgrading to a much faster CPU chip, etc.

Donald -- AD8DY

Joe Subich, W4TV

Can JTAlertX run in Linux?
No. JTAlert is a Windows application.

73,

... Joe, W4TV

On 2020-05-29 3:34 PM, Robert Rampolla via groups.io wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts but this still has not answered the question  Can JTAlertX run in Linux?