Topics

locked McAfee

Malcolm Pelham <malcolm.pelham@...>

When I added Mcafee to my computer my JT Alert Shortcut  does not work.  I get this "PROBLEM WITH SHORTCUT"  The item JT Alert.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.  I even went to the windows 10 menu I tried to launch from there. Same message....I uninstalled it and downloaded it again and the same process happened again.  Any ideas....everything was working properly prior to installing McAfee.

Thanks
Mal
WF5K

neil_zampella

You mean other than removing McAfee?   

Look to see where you can whitelist the directory where JT-Alert is loaded.   You should be able to do that without a problem.

If you can't, and McAfee was provided 'free' by your ISP, remove it, and actually find an antivirus that allows you to do this, as it sounds like McAfee is quarantining files. I suspect its done that to the JT-Alert executable.

Neil, KN3ILZ

tom

Assume u r running 2.16.5 of jta. Same exact issue here. Work around is run v2.16.4. Glad u isolated issue to McAfee. Tu.
 .de Tom
KE0ABA

I just went in and uninstalled the latest version and installed v2.16.4 and it works perfectly.  Thanks for the help.

Mal

WF5K

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 6:23 AM
To: Support@hamapps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] McAfee

Assume u r running 2.16.5 of jta. Same exact issue here. Work around is run v2.16.4. Glad u isolated issue to McAfee. Tu.
 .de Tom
KE0ABA

neil_zampella

Edited

Why did you revert to v2.16.4 instead of trying to find out why its occuring?   When you update to v2.2.0 of WSJT-X, you're going to need v2.16.5 of JT-Alert.

Reverting back only postpones the inevitable, fix the problem now, as it will recur later.  Whitelist the HAMAPPS directory.  

Neil, KN3ILZ

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 07:23 AM, tom wrote:

.de Tom
KE0ABA

I am not as computer savvy as some and I decided to take the easy road.  I guess I will ultimately dig to see what I can do.  I do not understand “White List”. And have no idea how to do that procedure.

Mal
WF5K 

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:41 PM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Why did you revert to v2.16.4 instead of trying to find out why its occuring?   When you update to v2.2.0 of WSJT-X, you're going to need v2.16.5 of JT-Alert.

Reverting back only postpones the inevitable, fix the problem now, as it will recur later.  Whitelist the HAMAPPS directory.  

Neil, KN3ILZ

.de Tom
KE0ABA

Michael Black

On Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 10:58:28 PM CDT, Malcolm Pelham <malcolm.pelham@...> wrote:

I am not as computer savvy as some and I decided to take the easy road.  I guess I will ultimately dig to see what I can do.  I do not understand “White List”. And have no idea how to do that procedure.

Mal
WF5K 

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:41 PM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Neil, KN3ILZ

.de Tom
KE0ABA

DamianM0BKV

I had the problem. All you need to do is open McAfee, click on PC Security, Click on Real-Time Scanning. Excluded Files click on V.  Add file
Find where you unzipped 'JTAlert.EXE' (proberly Folder JTAlert/JTALERT/) copy and paste it to the Add file. Make sure his is the same JTAlert.EXE file you will be running. Now and ONLY now open JTAlert for the first time otherwise McAfee will remove it AGAIN.

Thanks I will give it a try and report back

Malcolm Pelham
WF5K

On May 20, 2020, at 3:31 PM, DamianM0BKV via groups.io <kammdp@...> wrote:

I had the problem. All you need to do is open McAfee, click on PC Security, Click on Real-Time Scanning. Excluded Files click on V.  Add file
Find where you unzipped 'JTAlert.EXE' (proberly Folder JTAlert/JTALERT/) copy and paste it to the Add file. Make sure his is the same JTAlert.EXE file you will be running. Now and ONLY now open JTAlert for the first time otherwise McAfee will remove it AGAIN.

Damien:  Thank you so much for the help.  IT WORKED!  And today I learned how to EXCLUDE files from McAfee.  I hope I meet you on the air one day.

Thanks again stay safe, and stay healthy.

Mal

WF5K

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:31 PM
To: Support@hamapps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] McAfee

neil_zampella

The default JT-Alert directory path is x:\Program Files (x86)\HamApps\JT-Alert, where x: is the drive you have JT-Alert installed on.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 04:31 PM, DamianM0BKV wrote: