Topics

locked Km vs Miles

Thomas Webb

JTAlert displays Kilometers by default for distance between stations.  I there a way to change it to miles?

Michael Black

Settings/Manage Settings/Alerts

Inline image

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 02:56:52 PM CDT, Thomas Webb <tmwebb@...> wrote:

JTAlert displays Kilometers by default for distance between stations.  I there a way to change it to miles?

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 22/04/2020 6:02 am, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Settings/Manage Settings/Alerts

An easier and quicker solution is via the "Alerts -> Decoded Callsign Data Tooltip" menu

de Laurie VK3AMA

Thomas Webb

Thank you!  Found it, hidden in plain sight!

Mark W2OR

Yes. And "Hidden in plain sight"  still applies here, as well.

Here, I attempted to change the distance column today from 'km' to miles, using the instructions outlined in below messages, but that column still reappears as km.  So, I restarted JTA twice, to possibly help with a reset.  Each time it returns as 'km'.  And each time, in checking the "Decoded Callsign Data Tooltip" tab, the option "show distance in miles" was, in fact, already enabled for miles.  Yet the Distance column label and the distance numbers, are still in km.  Hmm.  The solution is hiding in front of my nose somewhere.

Jim Cooper

Indeed, it IS hidden in plain sight !!!

graphic

On 11 May 2020 at 11:10, Mark W2OR via groups.io wrote:

> Yes. And "Hidden in plain sight"  still applies here, as well.
>
> Here, I attempted to change the
> distance column today from 'km' to
> miles, using the instructions
> outlined in below messages, but that
> column still reappears as km.  So, I
> restarted JTA twice, to possibly help
> with a reset.  Each time it returns
> as 'km'.  And each time, in checking
> the "Decoded Callsign Data Tooltip"
> tab, the option "show distance in
> miles" was, in fact, already enabled
> for miles.  Yet the Distance column
> label and the distance numbers, are
> still in km.  Hmm.  The solution is
> hiding in front of my nose
> somewhere.

Mark W2OR

Thank you, Jim.  That did the trick.  Two years with JTAlert, and I had never seen that page of settings before.  Nice.

The km/miles option that had referred to earlier is on another tab. And that other tab is what was referred to in those old posts, for changing between km and miles.  Why there are two such settings is beyond me, but there's surely good reasons ... which I really don't need to know.

Again - tks mucho.
// Mark

Dave <kc3am@...>

Hello all, Nubie here, KC3AM

Can someone tell me just what the purpose of JTAlert is.

I am old school and can control the radio and computer just fine. I am not a contester.

With JTAlert being a popular software item I am curious.

Thanks much, Dave KC3AM

--
73, Dave KC3AM

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 12/05/2020 5:14 am, Mark W2OR via groups.io wrote:
Why there are two such settings is beyond me, but there's surely good reasons ... which I really don't need to know.
There are two different settings because the Decodes window, part of the JTAlertV3 project is written in a language different from the base JTAlert code and uses a different mechanism for settings storage.

I chose not to try and integrate the Decodes Settings into the JTAlert Settings because of the fundamental differences in how the settings are managed. In JTAlert, opening the Settings window stops all decodes alerting and any changes are not applied until the Settings window is closed, you cannot run JTAlert while leaving its Settings window open. With the Decodes window (and the future JTAlertV3), its Settings window can remain open and any changes are applied in real-time (try adjusting the row height and  see what I mean).

de Laurie VK3AMA