locked Not Logging to QRZ

NA5M - Frank

New Windows PC, fresh load WSJT-X and JTAlert.  QRZ sub is up to date, Enabled and API Key entered and reentered.  QRZ XML Lookup is working.  Once a QSO is completed WSJT-X popup window to Log QSO opens and I click OK.  Then what used to happen on the old PC is a similar popup from JTAlert asking to OK the log.  I'm not getting this window from JTAlert since the new software load out.  I'm not sure how the .adi gets from WSJT-X to JTAlert to QRZ or if my issue is something I have wrong in either WSJT-X or JTAlert.  Only thing I'm sure of is the filaments are lit on the 6146Bs.  Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, please.  Thanks,  Frank NA5M

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/04/2020 6:42 am, NA5M - Frank wrote:
New Windows PC, fresh load WSJT-X and JTAlert.  QRZ sub is up to date, Enabled and API Key entered and reentered.  QRZ XML Lookup is working.  Once a QSO is completed WSJT-X popup window to Log QSO opens and I click OK.  Then what used to happen on the old PC is a similar popup from JTAlert asking to OK the log.  I'm not getting this window from JTAlert since the new software load out.  I'm not sure how the .adi gets from WSJT-X to JTAlert to QRZ or if my issue is something I have wrong in either WSJT-X or JTAlert.  Only thing I'm sure of is the filaments are lit on the 6146Bs.  Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, please.  Thanks,  Frank NA5M

Frank,

There have been a couple of recent reports of failed QRZ logging that were tracked down to the user entering the wrong api key for their log. For some reason the users chose to strip the hyphens from the key value provided by QRZ. The key needs to exactly match that recorded for your QRZ logbook.

The key should follow this format "XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX"

If the API key looks correct, use the "Help" (or "? ") -> "Contact Support" menu, on the main JTAlert window, to send me your JTAlert files for analysis.

de Laurie VK3AMA

John

I an having the same problem at my QTH, I'll check for hyphens, inserting as
required, then try again, thanks.

John
VE3KKQ

[...]

Laurie,

I too have no luck automatically sending logging info to QRZ.com, I have copied
and pasted (with hyphens) the API, no joy.

I did notice in the HELP under Online Logbooks this;

"QRZ.com : API Key is only valid if your a QRZ.com subscriber."

By subscriber, do you mean a PAID subscriber?

If so, please add that tid-bit when you can.

Thanks for your work, it has given so many such enjoyment.

John
VE3KKQ

[...]

Hello Laurie,  Thank you yet again for your help.  I will submit through Help.  Can you share the name of the log file you're looking for?

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 21/04/2020 12:42 pm, NA5M - Frank wrote:
Hello Laurie,  Thank you yet again for your help.  I will submit through Help.  Can you share the name of the log file you're looking for?

Frank,

I don't understand your statement "
Can you share the name of the log file you're looking for". All necessary files I need to examine are automatically included in the Contact Support request.

I got your Support Request. The problem is that your running JTAlert without an enabled logger, "NO Log" shown in the titlebar. With no logger enabled, JTAlert doesn't try and upload to any of the online logs (that should probably be changed, but is unlikely in the short term).

Please enable a logger and try again. Let me know if your still have problems.

On 21/04/2020 8:15 am, John wrote:
I an having the same problem at my QTH, I'll check for hyphens, inserting as
required, then try again, thanks.

John
VE3KKQ
Please enable a logger in JTAlert and try again. Let me know if your still have problems.

de Laurie VK3AMA

John

Gu' Day, Laurie,

I do have the correct API with hyphens, no joy.

Log info successfully arrives at HRDlog and Clublog.

I consulted the HELP under Logging and noticed that it says, in effect, that one
must have a QRZ.com subscription, is this the PAID subscription?

I subscribe, but not to the paid subscription, could this be the problem?.

John
VE3KKQ

I an having the same problem at my QTH, I'll check for hyphens, inserting as
required, then try again, thanks.

John
VE3KKQ
Please enable a logger in JTAlert and try again. Let me know if your
still have problems.

That would be the problem...

Our most popular subscription. In use worldwide, our XML Logbook Data gives realtime callsign lookups to most logging programs. It also provides the ability to upload/download your log files to the QRZ Online Logbook.

Barry <boat.anchor@...>

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 06:00 AM, Michael Black wrote:
That would be the problem...

Our most popular subscription. In use worldwide, our XML Logbook Data gives realtime callsign lookups to most logging programs. It also provides the ability to upload/download your log files to the QRZ Online Logbook.

Mike
Do you have any idea why so many landlocked stns are now showing an IOTA number.
This is increasing in frequency lately but historically was reliable.
cheers
Barry

Michael Black

Like who?  You have to specifically configure an IOTA on QRZ -- defaults to none.

de Mike W9MDB

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 09:32:02 AM CDT, Barry via groups.io <boat.anchor@...> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 06:00 AM, Michael Black wrote:
That would be the problem...

Our most popular subscription. In use worldwide, our XML Logbook Data gives realtime callsign lookups to most logging programs. It also provides the ability to upload/download your log files to the QRZ Online Logbook.

Mike
Do you have any idea why so many landlocked stns are now showing an IOTA number.
This is increasing in frequency lately but historically was reliable.
cheers
Barry

NA5M - Frank

Laurie,  Thank you.  That has corrected my issue.  All my fault.

Barry <boat.anchor@...>

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 07:35 AM, Michael Black wrote:
Like who?  You have to specifically configure an IOTA on QRZ -- defaults to none.

de Mike W9MDB

Mike
Do you have any idea why so many landlocked stns are now showing an IOTA number.
This is increasing in frequency lately but historically was reliable.
cheers
Barry

Mike
I will watch for them and let you know directly.
When they load up in the log I manually correct them
so cannot retrieve the past info.
ps: abrreviated logbook still running fine.
cheers de
Barry

Barry <boat.anchor@...>

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 07:35 AM, Michael Black wrote:
Like who?  You have to specifically configure an IOTA on QRZ -- defaults to none.

de Mike W9MDB

W2HVH

Jim Spears

This topic should be changed to "bogus IOTA listing in QRZ.com database".  I have found the same thing, somebody whose main station is non-island based can operated from an island from time.  Some of these insert the IOTA number in QRZ.com so when JTAlert pulls the QRZ data out, IOTA comes with it.  this is not the fault of either QRZ or JTAlert but the user who put IOTA in the listing in the first place.  I also monitor data pulled out of QRZ for reasonableness.  this can be hard to do with QRZ data stored in Cryllic characters which are difficult to translate.
Jim
N1NK

Dave Garber

I am not at home so can't confirm location but I beleive wsjtx has a comment field on the log window and if you state anything in there it can be retained..   Check that field before clicking ok to log

sent by my LG phone

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020, 8:41 AM Jim Spears, <n1nk@...> wrote:
This topic should be changed to "bogus IOTA listing in QRZ.com database".  I have found the same thing, somebody whose main station is non-island based can operated from an island from time.  Some of these insert the IOTA number in QRZ.com so when JTAlert pulls the QRZ data out, IOTA comes with it.  this is not the fault of either QRZ or JTAlert but the user who put IOTA in the listing in the first place.  I also monitor data pulled out of QRZ for reasonableness.  this can be hard to do with QRZ data stored in Cryllic characters which are difficult to translate.
Jim
N1NK

W3UR Bernie McClenny <bernie@...>

Is the data coming from QRZ.com “detail” tab?

Lookups 7439 (16108)
QRZ Record# 1061264
QRZ Admin SM3JGG
Last Update 2018-06-09 05:41:31
Latitude 61.226681 (61° 13' 36'' N)
Longitude 17.227266 (17° 13' 38'' E)
Grid Square JP81of
Geo Source User supplied
Bearing 34.4° NE (from W3UR)
Distance 4019.1 mi (6468.2 km)
Long Path 20837.7 mi (33535.0 km)
Sunrise 03:00:59 UTC
Sunset 18:37:19 UTC
ITU Zone 18
CQ Zone 14
IOTA EU-176 Gavleborg County group
Born 1957
QSL Info via Bureo
QSL by Mail? No (e.g. Will this ham QSL by Postal Mail?)
QSL by eQSL? Yes (e.g. Will this ham QSL with eQSL?)
Uses LOTW? Yes (e.g. Does this ham use ARRL's LOTW ?)
Other
Callsigns
Alias Comment
SA3S Used in contests from Remote QTH

Bernie McClenny, W3UR

Editor of: The Daily DX (1997-2020)
The Weekly DX (2001-2020)
How's DX? (1999-2020)

Two week trial -
http://www.dailydx.com/free-trial-request/
https://twitter.com/dailydx
410-489-6518

On Apr 23, 2020, at 8:41 AM, Jim Spears <n1nk@cox.net> wrote:

This topic should be changed to "bogus IOTA listing in QRZ.com database". I have found the same thing, somebody whose main station is non-island based can operated from an island from time. Some of these insert the IOTA number in QRZ.com so when JTAlert pulls the QRZ data out, IOTA comes with it. this is not the fault of either QRZ or JTAlert but the user who put IOTA in the listing in the first place. I also monitor data pulled out of QRZ for reasonableness. this can be hard to do with QRZ data stored in Cryllic characters which are difficult to translate.
Jim
N1NK

Frode Igland

Mike,
There are quite a few stations who have misunderstood what QTH info to register in QRZ.com. Because they are located somewhere in a coastal state (e.g. Maine), they may add a IOTA group from their state to their QRZ.com info, although their QTH may be located way inland, and they never operate from an IOTA island.

When I download data from QRZ.com and I see that I have worked a new IOTA group with QTH info in QRZ.com indicating that they are nowhere near an island, I send them an e-mail and ask whether they worked from an island. In many cases they have not, and then I ask them to update their QRZ.com data because their error may create log errors for their QO partners. None of them were aware of the consequence for their counterpart logging, and all of them have corrected their QTH data on request. This happens occasionally (a times per year?) and I have not noticed any particular increase lately. Inconsistencies between grid locators in QRZ.com and locators received in WSJT-X modes are more of a daily routine. I stick to the QSO locator, which requires me to pay attention when downloding QRZ.com info to avoid QRZ.com overriding the QSO data.

I am aware of this issue because I regularly move between mainland and island QTHs. I update my IOTA and locator data in QRZ.com when I start operating from another QTH, and leave it there until I start working from the next QTH. In this way those who are interested enough in who they have worked to update their log soon after the QSO, will download correct QTH data. Those who postpone the log update may get incorrect QTH data, but that is the best I can do. I also leave a note in my QRZ.com bio page that I am/have been working from an IOTA island, so it should be possible to track my QTH.

73 Frode LA6VQ