locked JTAlert "Unable to communicate with the WSJT-X process"

KY7M Lee <ars.ky7m@...>

I installed Windows 10 yesterday and now JTAlert does not want to log contacts from WSJT-X into DXKeeper as it has done for several years on this machine.  I have checked and double checked all my settings and everything is correct.  The same settings work perfectly on another Windows 10 machine in the shack.  The exact error message is:

Unable to communicate with the WSJT-X process.

  UDP Port : 2237

  IP Address : 127.0.0.1

  Values read from WSJT-X config file...

    C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\WSJT-X\WSJT-X.ini

WSJT-X Detected Instance...

  Process Window Title : WSJT-X   v2.1.2   by K1JT

  Process Command Line : "C:\WSJT\wsjtx\bin\wsjtx.exe"

Decode alerts and logging will be unavailable until corrected.
See the JTAlert Help file for correct WSJT-X UDP setup.

If the computer is just sitting and JTAlert is monitoring FT8 on WSJT-X it will occasionally jump to life and start showing all the callsigns normally.  If I change bands it can take 10 minutes for JTAlert to change bands.  If I try to log a contact, JTAlert will stop, but today it actually logged a contact 10 minutes after I clicked okay on the logging window, like it was in slow motion.  I am using very little PC memory and the hard drive is less than half full.  I have seen this issue discussed in the past, but have yet to see any solution.  I recently started using BitDefender antivirus software and have entered exclusions for all 3 of the programs involved.  Everything was working fine until Windows 10 was installed yesterday.

73,

Lee, KY7M

KY7M Lee <ars.ky7m@...>

After several days of frustration, it occurred to me that maybe my Dell machine was not Windows 10 compatible and that seems to be the case after trying to do some diagnostic tests with Dell’s SupportAssist program.  The computer got hung up on SupportAssist just like it did on JTAlert – that was my big clue.  I was able to do a rollback to Windows 7 (you have 10 days to rollback) and JTAlert is once again performing flawlessly.  So, beware of the free upgrade to Windows 10 – make sure your machine is compatible.

73,

Lee, KY7M

[...]

sp5apw

I am new user of JTAlert. Today I started to use it and also experienced problem to communicate with WSJT-X. I solved it simply choosing an option to run in compatibility mode to Windows 7.
See attached picture. Sorry but my Windows is in Polish.
73 de Jacek SP5APW

neil_zampella

Edited

As far as I know, you're the first person who had to do this, as it works fine in Windows 10 on compatible hardware.

What error message were you getting before you did this?

Neil, KN3ILZ

sp5apw

Hi Neil,
I am not first person... Lee KY7M (message #29294) even did a rollback to Windows 7, hihi.
Today I switched off Windows 7 compatibility mode and it works in Windows 10 too. Why it has been "repaired" I do not know. Anyway if someone experience such a problem I suggest to use Win7 compatibility mode.
73,
Jacek SP5APW

PS. Because there is no manual (is there any?) I am still learning JTAlert trying to use it. Good piece of software!

pon., 4 maj 2020 o 13:13 neil_zampella <neilz@...> napisał(a):

[Edited Message Follows]

As far as I know, you're the first person who had to do this, as it works fine in Windows 10 on compatible hardware.

What error message were you getting before you did this?

Neil, KN3ILZ

Tom Melvin

PS. Because there is no manual (is there any?) I am still learning JTAlert trying to use it. Good piece of software!

Jacek

The help is pretty good - access via the ? on settings menu or Windows -> Programs -> HamApps -> JTAlert Help

The tutorials and FAQ cover a lot - yes couple of little things are missing but between the Help and searching the archives here should get you round most things.

Tom

--
73’s

Tom
GM8MJV (IO85)

On 4 May 2020, at 12:47, sp5apw <sp5apw@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much Tom. I will check that.
73 de Jacek SP5APW

pon., 4 maj 2020, 19:05 użytkownik Tom Melvin <tom@...> napisał:

[...]

By the '1st person who had to do this' I meant run the program in compatibility mode.  That has never been given as advice here.

FWIW ... I've been using JT-Alert for years under Win7, Win8.1, and Win10 without issues.

In any case, glad to hear its now working under Win 10>

Neil, KN3ILZ