Topics

locked KH6 as FL ? #HamSpots

Franco

HI All,
Could anyone tell me or have a formula on how US calls are also recognized with the respective state and CQzone in JTalert?

Is there a specific form of the call to understand how they are recognized, or is a database callsign?

For example, I heard KH6M this afternoon and thought it was Hawaii, instead it turns out to be FL. ;-)

sry, I hadn't turned on JTalert to check if he was giving it to me.

Michael Black

What makes you think it's Florida?  His QRZ pages shows Hawaii.

de Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 02:14:11 PM CDT, Franco HB9oab <hb9oab@...> wrote:

HI All,
Could anyone tell me or have a formula on how US calls are also recognized with the respective state and CQzone in JTalert?

Is there a specific form of the call to understand how they are recognized, or is a database callsign?

For example, I heard KH6M this afternoon and thought it was Hawaii, instead it turns out to be FL. ;-)

sry, I hadn't turned on JTalert to check if he was giving it to me.

Kevin k5vp

KH6M shows he is in Naple Fl on QRZ here.

k5vp

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 12:26 PM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
What makes you think it's Florida?  His QRZ pages shows Hawaii.

de Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 02:14:11 PM CDT, Franco HB9oab <hb9oab@...> wrote:

HI All,
Could anyone tell me or have a formula on how US calls are also recognized with the respective state and CQzone in JTalert?

Is there a specific form of the call to understand how they are recognized, or is a database callsign?

For example, I heard KH6M this afternoon and thought it was Hawaii, instead it turns out to be FL. ;-)

sry, I hadn't turned on JTalert to check if he was giving it to me.

Kevin Potter
k5vp

John

from QRZ...

KH6M USA flag USA

MITCHELL D WEIN
2112 14th AVENUE NE
NAPLES, FL 34120-5450
USA

John
VE3KKQ

hb9oab@...> wrote:

HI All,
Could anyone tell me or have a formula on how US calls are also recognized
with the respective state and CQzone in JTalert?

Is there a specific form of the call to understand how they are
recognized, or is a database callsign?

For example, I heard KH6M this afternoon and thought it was Hawaii,
instead it turns out to be FL. ;-)

sry, I hadn't turned on JTalert to check if he was giving it to me.

Thanks, 73s
Franco
http://www.qrz.com/db/hb9oab

*Kevin Potter *
*k5vp*

Michael Black

Oops...I looked up KH6Z for some reason.

Do you have QRZ lookups enabled in JTAlert?

And apparently this is the first time you've ever worked him?  Or if you've worked him before check your QSO entry which would have Hawaii in it.

de MIke W9MDB

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 02:37:23 PM CDT, John <jonie41@...> wrote:

from QRZ...

KH6M USA flag USA

MITCHELL D WEIN
2112 14th AVENUE NE
NAPLES, FL 34120-5450
USA

John
VE3KKQ

Dave Garber

KH6M USA flag USA

MITCHELL D WEIN
2112 14th AVENUE NE
NAPLES, FL 34120-5450
USA

directly from the qrz pages

Dave Garber
VE3WEJ / VE3IE

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 3:26 PM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
What makes you think it's Florida?  His QRZ pages shows Hawaii.

de Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, April 9, 2020, 02:14:11 PM CDT, Franco HB9oab <hb9oab@...> wrote:

HI All,
Could anyone tell me or have a formula on how US calls are also recognized with the respective state and CQzone in JTalert?

Is there a specific form of the call to understand how they are recognized, or is a database callsign?

For example, I heard KH6M this afternoon and thought it was Hawaii, instead it turns out to be FL. ;-)

sry, I hadn't turned on JTalert to check if he was giving it to me.

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 10/04/2020 5:14 am, Franco HB9oab wrote:
Could anyone tell me or have a formula on how US calls are also recognized with the respective state and CQzone in JTalert?

Is there a specific form of the call to understand how they are recognized, or is a database callsign?

For example, I heard KH6M this afternoon and thought it was Hawaii, instead it turns out to be FL. ;-)

sry, I hadn't turned on JTalert to check if he was giving it to me.

Thanks, 73s
Franco
http://www.qrz.com/db/hb9oab

JTAlert looks at the Callsign naming to initially determine the country of origin. If the Callsign is recorded in the FCC Callsign database with a CONUS State, than JTAlert will override the initial country determination. There are numerous US based callsigns using Callsigns that identify as Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, etc, they are automatically adjusted to Alert and Log as the US.

Regarding KH6M, JTAlert correctly identifies him as being in the US State of FL.

de Laurie VK3AMA

David Rounds

We have the same situation here in southern Wisconsin.
I personally know a local ham with a KL7 callsign.  Specifically he was in Alaska for several years during which time he upgraded to a vanity callsign.  When he moved back to Wisconsin, he kept the same vanity callsign but changed has address with the FCC (as required).
So If I hear him via my Zumspot, he shows up on the display with the American Flag but with the country listed as Alaska.  Nothing can be automatically done to correct it unless I specifically decode his full callsign in the flag/location scripts. I have seen this same issue with other hams on various logging programs and on the ZumSpot display because the program does a brute force decode on the prefix and number only.
73
David
AK9F

On 4/9/2020 3:07 PM, Dave Garber wrote:
[...]

Charlie Hoffman

I wish that the callsigns still reflected their zone but with today's mobile society it would be
almost impossible.   I still prefer the old way where all w4's were in the SE of the USA.

I have a similar issue with certain callsigns.
I worked an Hawaiian station and he coded his location as USA instead of Hawaii.

Interesting problem because logging award programs give me credit for the state of Hawaii but not for the country of Hawaii.

The owner of the callsign will not change his location so until I work another 6m station on Hawaii, I don't have the country.

Michael Black

Hawaii is USA...so what award treats Hawaii as a country?

de Mike W9MDB

On Friday, April 10, 2020, 09:28:33 AM CDT, Charlie Hoffman <hoffmanc@...> wrote:

I wish that the callsigns still reflected their zone but with today's mobile society it would be
almost impossible.   I still prefer the old way where all w4's were in the SE of the USA.

I have a similar issue with certain callsigns.
I worked an Hawaiian station and he coded his location as USA instead of Hawaii.

Interesting problem because logging award programs give me credit for the state of Hawaii but not for the country of Hawaii.

The owner of the callsign will not change his location so until I work another 6m station on Hawaii, I don't have the country.

Martin Blaise

Dxcc?

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 9:32 AM Michael Black via groups.io <mdblack98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hawaii is USA...so what award treats Hawaii as a country?

de Mike W9MDB

On Friday, April 10, 2020, 09:28:33 AM CDT, Charlie Hoffman <hoffmanc@...> wrote:

I wish that the callsigns still reflected their zone but with today's mobile society it would be
almost impossible.   I still prefer the old way where all w4's were in the SE of the USA.

I have a similar issue with certain callsigns.
I worked an Hawaiian station and he coded his location as USA instead of Hawaii.

Interesting problem because logging award programs give me credit for the state of Hawaii but not for the country of Hawaii.

The owner of the callsign will not change his location so until I work another 6m station on Hawaii, I don't have the country.

g4wjs

Mike,

the ARRL DXCC for one of many!

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 10/04/2020 15:32, Michael Black via groups.io wrote:
Hawaii is USA...so what award treats Hawaii as a country?

de Mike W9MDB

On Friday, April 10, 2020, 09:28:33 AM CDT, Charlie Hoffman <hoffmanc@...> wrote:

I wish that the callsigns still reflected their zone but with today's mobile society it would be
almost impossible.   I still prefer the old way where all w4's were in the SE of the USA.

I have a similar issue with certain callsigns.
I worked an Hawaiian station and he coded his location as USA instead of Hawaii.

Interesting problem because logging award programs give me credit for the state of Hawaii but not for the country of Hawaii.

The owner of the callsign will not change his location so until I work another 6m station on Hawaii, I don't have the country.

Bill
G4WJS.

Michael Black

Duh!!!
Been so long plain forgot about that...

If he uploads his log to clublog they will check the DXCC records and show you any errors.

So question is why he didn't get DXCC credit.  LOTW is very careful about DXCC credits so I imagine he uploaded the QSO with the Hawaii stationg with the wrong DXCC in it...nothing to do with how the Hawaii station was coded.   I imagine his lookup just stuck USA in the log when it failed a lookup or such.

LOTW would be very interested in why no credit is given...can send them a bug report and they are usually pretty responsive.  But check your log first with clublog.

Supposed to a new version of this coming out later this year....

Mike

On Friday, April 10, 2020, 09:35:20 AM CDT, g4wjs <bill.8@...> wrote:

[...]

You are correct about LOTW.

It's QRZ that won't allow me to make the change so I have the state on 6m but not the DXCC credit.
They won't budge on changing it and wants the Hawaii station to make the change,
The Hawaii station states he is in the USA and won't change it to Hawaii.

My only solution is to hope for another Hawaii contact on 6m.

K9FD

DXCC and all others

Hawaii is USA...so what award treats Hawaii as a country?

de Mike W9MDB

On Friday, April 10, 2020, 09:28:33 AM CDT, Charlie Hoffman <hoffmanc@...> wrote:

I wish that the callsigns still reflected their zone but with today's mobile society it would be
almost impossible.   I still prefer the old way where all w4's were in the SE of the USA.

I have a similar issue with certain callsigns.
I worked an Hawaiian station and he coded his location as USA instead of Hawaii.

Interesting problem because logging award programs give me credit for the state of Hawaii but not for the country of Hawaii.

The owner of the callsign will not change his location so until I work another 6m station on Hawaii, I don't have the country.

Joe WB9SBD

Oceana for WAC award.

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 4/10/2020 11:07 AM, K9FD wrote:
DXCC and all others

Hawaii is USA...so what award treats Hawaii as a country?

de Mike W9MDB

On Friday, April 10, 2020, 09:28:33 AM CDT, Charlie Hoffman <hoffmanc@...> wrote:

I wish that the callsigns still reflected their zone but with today's mobile society it would be
almost impossible.   I still prefer the old way where all w4's were in the SE of the USA.

I have a similar issue with certain callsigns.
I worked an Hawaiian station and he coded his location as USA instead of Hawaii.

Interesting problem because logging award programs give me credit for the state of Hawaii but not for the country of Hawaii.

The owner of the callsign will not change his location so until I work another 6m station on Hawaii, I don't have the country.

John K9IJ

Maybe that's because he IS in Florida...

On 4/10/2020 10:59 AM, Charlie Hoffman wrote:
You are correct about LOTW.

It's QRZ that won't allow me to make the change so I have the state on 6m but not the DXCC credit.
They won't budge on changing it and wants the Hawaii station to make the change,
The Hawaii station states he is in the USA and won't change it to Hawaii.

My only solution is to hope for another Hawaii contact on 6m.

--
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced !

k9ij@...
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor

Kevin k5vp

Both Hawaii & Alaska are not part of CONUS, but are both states.

Both qualify for WAS & DXCC per ARRL.

k5vp

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 9:07 AM K9FD <merv.k9fd@...> wrote:
DXCC and all others

Hawaii is USA...so what award treats Hawaii as a country?

de Mike W9MDB

On Friday, April 10, 2020, 09:28:33 AM CDT, Charlie Hoffman <hoffmanc@...> wrote:

I wish that the callsigns still reflected their zone but with today's mobile society it would be
almost impossible.   I still prefer the old way where all w4's were in the SE of the USA.

I have a similar issue with certain callsigns.
I worked an Hawaiian station and he coded his location as USA instead of Hawaii.

Interesting problem because logging award programs give me credit for the state of Hawaii but not for the country of Hawaii.

The owner of the callsign will not change his location so until I work another 6m station on Hawaii, I don't have the country.

Kevin Potter
k5vp

jushamn@...

I just put those calls in Ignored Callsign.