Topics

locked JTAlert alt version disappears

Michael Coslo <mjcn3li@...>

Hi all,

About 5 minutes ago, I quit JTAlert alternate to do something else for a minute. I went to start it again and….it’s gone. As in the program is gone. JTAlert for JTDX is still there as is the standard JTAlert for WSJT-X. The alt version of JTAlert shortcuts are still there. While I can do some pretty dumb things at times, I did nothing but exit the program. Now once is one thing, but this is the second time it happened. Happened about a week and a half ago. Is this windows shenanigans? Is it by some chance related to Windows defender spanking me for allowing the program through when it tells me it is a trojan? Anyone else?

- 73 N3LI -
- Michael Coslo -
Frequency Coordinator, Beaver Stadium
814-404-3991
mjc5@...
mjcn3li@...

g4wjs

On 31/03/2020 00:55, Michael Coslo wrote:
Hi all,

About 5 minutes ago, I quit JTAlert alternate to do something else for a minute. I went to start it again and….it’s gone. As in the program is gone. JTAlert for JTDX is still there as is the standard JTAlert for WSJT-X. The alt version of JTAlert shortcuts are still there. While I can do some pretty dumb things at times, I did nothing but exit the program. Now once is one thing, but this is the second time it happened. Happened about a week and a half ago. Is this windows shenanigans? Is it by some chance related to Windows defender spanking me for allowing the program through when it tells me it is a trojan? Anyone else?

- 73 N3LI -
- Michael Coslo -
Hi Michael,

I suspect your anti-virus software has quarantined it. There should be an option to restore it.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill
G4WJS.

Michael Coslo <mjcn3li@...>

Windows Defender is the culprit here.

Apparently the option is to reinstall the program. Looking at the Defender's history, you can see when and where it decided to kill JTJAlert. It looked like reinstalling was the best option. Of course, I could shut Windows Defender off. Naaah!

I reinstalled it with a two stage process that I happened upon. I reinstalled the first time, and Defender was really not happy at all. I did set Defender to allow it to pass through, but the program was already gone. Very odd, that. So I tried reinstalling again, and it allowed it this time. So it’s working for the moment. I’ll just expect to reinstall it every so often as I fight with Windows and it’s stupid surprises.

It’s a pity that Windows is the defacto standard. Because it is the VHS tape format of operating systems. I do 99 percent of my work on my MacOS and Linux machines, and 99 percent of my troubleshooting on my Windows 10 machines.

Granted, it’s not the worst W10 problem I’ve had. Updates were causing SSDR for Flex to rename all of the sound drivers to one name, only suffix indexed by 1. SSDR has a whole slew of audio drivers. So ya gotta do a whole slew of digging around and renaming back to what they originally were.

- 73 -

On Mar 30, 2020, at 7:57 PM, g4wjs <bill.8@...> wrote:

[...]

on the few occasions I've had Windows Defender quarantine an application it has been a simple matter of going to the quarantine list and restoring it, no fuss, no reinstall necessary.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On 31/03/2020 13:49, Michael Coslo wrote:
[...]

Although in this case, there is now no program to take out of quarantine. So that won’t work.

To me, the mystery is why it takes several days until Defender kills the program.

I’ll do a deep scan to find any remains. Mostly out of curiosity though, because reinstalling is easier than restoring. A lot of things can break when doing that.

- 73 Mike N3LI -

wrote:

[...]

Mike,

you might not be able to see the quarantined objects in the Windows file system, but they are there in the quarantine store and can definitely be restored. I don't have any there but if there were I could seelct it and click teh "Restore" button:

Any AV product that quarantines your files without a means to restore them as if nothing had happened is not worth having.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

On Mar 31, 2020, at 11:42 AM, g4wjs <bill.8@...> wrote:

Any AV product that quarantines your files without a means to restore them as if nothing had happened is not worth having.

I don’t disagree. My major issue is an AV that decides that innocent programs are a threat, then you pass them through, then asserting they are a threat again, then you get in Groundhog day mode of repeated quarantine and restore - and to me not much difference between restore and reinstall.

Anyhow, thanks for the help - it’s just Windows being Windows.

- 73 Mike N3LI -