Topics

5.0 Framework

Lawrence Godek

well if i had read your "See this previous message." first i wouldn't have had to write that other msg.  Went to this site and the download for 5.0 went just fine on my Win 10 system. 

Sorry to bother you with a misleading email.

Larry W0OGH

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 8/04/2021 6:46 am, Lawrence Godek wrote:

well if i had read your "See this previous message." first i wouldn't have had to write that other msg.  Went to this site and the download for 5.0 went just fine on my Win 10 system. 

Larry W0OGH

No problems.

I am bracing myself for the question deluge, when 2.50.0 is released, from the users who don't read release notes or the prominent warnings on the download page or messages in this group or simply click through dialog windows without reading the messages presented. then complain that nothing is working and they didn't change anything!.

There will be a lot of "see this link" type answers I expect. ;-)

de Laurie VK3AMA

JoAnn Donaldson

It would be easier if the New JTAlert included .NET 5 and installed it for you. Many Apps that require a .NET will include the .NET or check to see if you already have it installed.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021, 4:02:23 PM CDT, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

Larry W0OGH

No problems.

I am bracing myself for the question deluge, when 2.50.0 is released, from the users who don't read release notes or the prominent warnings on the download page or messages in this group or simply click through dialog windows without reading the messages presented. then complain that nothing is working and they didn't change anything!.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Carey Fisher

JoAnn, You didn't read his post, did you?
It says "The JTAlert installer will automatically check if you have the required runtime installed. If the runtime is not found you will be given the option to install the needed file."
73, Carey, WB4HXE

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:41 PM JoAnn Donaldson via groups.io <joannplano2005=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It would be easier if the New JTAlert included .NET 5 and installed it for you. Many Apps that require a .NET will include the .NET or check to see if you already have it installed.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021, 4:02:23 PM CDT, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

Larry W0OGH

No problems.

de Laurie VK3AMA

--
Carey Fisher

John

I wonder if JoAnn has someone feed her at meal times?

John

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 7:54 AM Carey Fisher <careyfisher@...> wrote:
It says "The JTAlert installer will automatically check if you have the required runtime installed. If the runtime is not found you will be given the option to install the needed file."
73, Carey, WB4HXE

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 7:41 PM JoAnn Donaldson via groups.io <joannplano2005=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

JoAnn
AB8YZ

Larry W0OGH

No problems.

de Laurie VK3AMA

--
Carey Fisher

Larry Banks

Hi Laurie,

Whomever this “John” is, he should be banned.

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2021 11:07
Subject: Re: [HamApps] 5.0 Framework

John

73, Carey, WB4HXE

JoAnn
AB8YZ

Larry W0OGH

No problems.

de Laurie VK3AMA

--
Carey Fisher

John H. Long Jr.

Boys boys boys, where is the elmer in you?

Silvery is not dead, it's just hiding from time to time.

Let's be thankful that there are ladies out there in the hobby, and support them in every way we can. 

JoAnn, keep posting questions.
I'll answer your questions if everyone else is busy.

Just my 2 cents,
 KW7A

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/8/21 9:07 AM (GMT-07:00)
To: Support@hamapps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] 5.0 Framework

John

73, Carey, WB4HXE

JoAnn
AB8YZ

Larry W0OGH

No problems.

de Laurie VK3AMA

--
Carey Fisher

JoAnn Donaldson

Sorry missed that part.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Thursday, April 8, 2021, 9:54:38 AM CDT, Carey Fisher <careyfisher@...> wrote:

73, Carey, WB4HXE

JoAnn
AB8YZ

Larry W0OGH

No problems.

de Laurie VK3AMA

--
Carey Fisher

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 8/04/2021 9:41 am, JoAnn Donaldson via groups.io wrote:

JoAnn
AB8YZ

Bundling the .NET installer file with the JTAlert installer will not be happening for a number of reasons.
  • The .NET file is ~53 MB in size. That would bring the JTAlert installer size up from ~20 MB to ~73 MB.

• The .NET included file would become out-of-date over time and people installing an old version of JTAlert would be getting the old .NET file that they would have to update manually.

• If there is a problem with installing the .NET file on the users PC, because it was included with the JTAlert installer, resolving this would tend to fall on JTAlert Support rather than Microsoft Support.

• If a user has to manually install the .NET files and encounters difficulty or issues with the PC, the problem becomes a Microsoft Support problem to resolve.

• To avoid JTAlert users having to download unnecessary large files with each JTAlert release, there would be a push for two JTAlert installers, one with the 53MB .NET installer and one without. If 2 installers were available there would be users who need the .NET files but choose to use the smaller JTAlert installer without .NET, further adding to the complaints and support requests when things are not working due to .NET not being installed.
de Laurie VK3AMA

Carey Fisher

JoAnn,
My apologies. That was snarky and I didn’t mean to be ugly.
73, Carey, WB4HXE

On Thu, Apr 8, 2021 at 2:18 PM JoAnn Donaldson via groups.io <joannplano2005=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Sorry missed that part.

JoAnn
AB8YZ

On Thursday, April 8, 2021, 9:54:38 AM CDT, Carey Fisher <careyfisher@...> wrote:

73, Carey, WB4HXE

JoAnn
AB8YZ

Larry W0OGH

No problems.

de Laurie VK3AMA

--
Carey Fisher

--
Carey Fisher