locked How do you pronounce 73? #POLL

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

Stupid question for some, but for me, who never goes near a microphone, I don't know how you pronounce 73.

Results

Dwight Bosselman

Stay away from those things Laurie - no good for you! ;-)

73 Dwight NS9I

On 8/19/2017 5:23 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Stupid question for some, but for me, who never goes near a microphone, I don't know how you pronounce 73.

1. Pronounced Seventy-Three
2. Pronounced Seven Three

Vote Now

Lawrence Godek

Or you could say seven trees!

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 3:23 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

1. Pronounced Seventy-Three
2. Pronounced Seven Three

Vote Now

Bruce VK2RT

And of interest...
73 is the 21st prime number, it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, and it's mirror 21 is the product of 7 and 3.
Wow, go figure...

The usage of "73" comes from the Phillips Code, originally devised in the era of telegraphs to speed up transmission of common messages by mapping them to numbers. The numeric code is a small part of the abbreviations outlined in the Phillips Code (developed by telegrapher Walter P. Phillips).
e.g.
73 -> Best regards

With phone modes SSB, FM etc. "Seventy Three" seems to be the norm.

Sometimes you’ll hear 73 expressed as “Seven Three”, which corresponds to how the Morse characters were sent. It is incorrect to say “Seventy-Three’s” since this would literally mean “Best Regards’s”.

73 DE Bruce
VK2RT

chas cartmel

And in binary it is a palindrome.

I watch ‘the Big bang Theory’ where this was touted as ‘the best number’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyFr279K9TE

Charlie

www.G4EST.me.uk

Twitter:@ccartmel

From: Support@HamApps.groups.io [mailto:Support@HamApps.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bruce VK2RT
Sent: 20 August 2017 00:46
To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Subject: Re: [HamApps] How do you pronounce 73? #poll

And of interest...

73 is the 21st prime number, it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, and it's mirror 21 is the product of 7 and 3.

Wow, go figure...

The usage of "73" comes from the Phillips Code, originally devised in the era of telegraphs to speed up transmission of common messages by mapping them to numbers. The numeric code is a small part of the abbreviations outlined in the Phillips Code (developed by telegrapher Walter P. Phillips).
e.g.
73 -> Best regards

With phone modes SSB, FM etc. "Seventy Three" seems to be the norm.

Sometimes you’ll hear 73 expressed as “Seven Three”, which corresponds to how the Morse characters were sent. It is incorrect to say “Seventy-Three’s” since this would literally mean “Best Regards’s”.

73 DE Bruce

VK2RT

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Bruce VK2RT

It's a fun show Charlie.

Actually the best number is 42, the meaning of life.

73 DE VK2RT Bruce

stephen_i@...

Edited

Seventy-Three is non-standard as it is NOT of NATO-phonetic standard - and the "seventy" can be confused with lots of different words with different inflections.

Seven is definitely clearer... and as an earlier post suggests is based on the "Philips Code".

"Seventy-Three" Its like saying "ten-four-good-budgie" on Amateur airwaves.... brrrrrr... sends shivers down my spine....

Michael Black

What does a ham 73 have to do with NATO phonetics?

Nobody in NATO ever said "73" to sign off.

You are correct that isn't' the way numerals are pronounced...but there's a REALLY good reason why it's 7-3 in the military.
#1 Could be any combination of numbers or other words
#2 Likely in a very noisy or limited communications mode.

In ham the 73 is only said in one place and no other number is expected.  I've never heard anybody say 7-3 on the radio.

de Mike W9MDB

To: Support@HamApps.groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2017 11:09 PM
Subject: Re: [HamApps] How do you pronounce 73? #poll

Seventy-Three is non-standard as it is NOT of NATO-phonetic standard - and the "seventy" can be confused with lots of different words with different inflections.
Seven is definitely clearer...

"Seventy-Three" Its like saying "ten-four-good-budgie" on Amateur airwaves.... brrrrrr... so why have Amateur licenses when one can go play down the chook-bands, break the way and work DX that way?

stephen_i@...

Mike,

Spot on... Nobody in NATO or in fact defence EVERY said 73... its more like "F... off.." in Defence ... hehehehehehhe ... no "over and out" was the preferred method in most Defence protocol....

Its a "greeting" .. termination... going back to CW days.... The letters 7 and 3.  As we are governed by the ITU's "Phonetic Alphabet" which we all know by the basic name "NATO Phonetics"... its base.... it should therefore perhaps be the letters "seven" then "three".

Pedantics and semantics....

Yet here in Australia it is frowned upon by many using "seventy-three" - in fact us trainers and assessors are GUIDED to encourage candidates to use "seven three" rather than "seventy-three" (see the Australian Foundation Manual). I believe that our fellow cousins in the UK may also jump all over your for using "Seventy-three"... Yet those on the North American continent I have never heard use "seven three"....

[ Mind you, is there guidance with the reluctance for the WIA to hold regular meetings/briefings for Trainers/Assessors ??? - Oops cheeky Mr. VM !!! ]

Laurie when he initiated this open-ended discussion must have recalled the old argument that RAGED here on VK3 Repeaters for years based off an Australian Foundation-Class Licence Question... "How long is an 80 metre dipole"? There is the English-construction answer and then there is the technical answer... A poor question to be on a Foundation paper .... 

As Dwight NS9I points out, perhaps Laurie is being a little cheeky here (and good on him) ;-)