locked How do you pronounce 73? #POLL

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

Stupid question for some, but for me, who never goes near a microphone, I don't know how you pronounce 73.

Results

Dwight Bosselman

Stay away from those things Laurie - no good for you! ;-)

73 Dwight NS9I

A new poll has been created:

Stupid question for some, but for me, who never goes near a microphone, I don't know how you pronounce 73.

1. Pronounced Seventy-Three
2. Pronounced Seven Three

Vote Now

Lawrence Godek

Or you could say seven trees!

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 3:23 PM, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) <vk3ama.ham.apps@...> wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Stupid question for some, but for me, who never goes near a microphone, I don't know how you pronounce 73.

1. Pronounced Seventy-Three
2. Pronounced Seven Three

Vote Now

Bruce VK2RT

And of interest...
73 is the 21st prime number, it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, and it's mirror 21 is the product of 7 and 3.
Wow, go figure...

The usage of "73" comes from the Phillips Code, originally devised in the era of telegraphs to speed up transmission of common messages by mapping them to numbers. The numeric code is a small part of the abbreviations outlined in the Phillips Code (developed by telegrapher Walter P. Phillips).
e.g.
73 -> Best regards

With phone modes SSB, FM etc. "Seventy Three" seems to be the norm.

Sometimes you’ll hear 73 expressed as “Seven Three”, which corresponds to how the Morse characters were sent. It is incorrect to say “Seventy-Three’s” since this would literally mean “Best Regards’s”.

73 DE Bruce
VK2RT

chas cartmel

And in binary it is a palindrome.

I watch ‘the Big bang Theory’ where this was touted as ‘the best number’

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyFr279K9TE

73

Charlie

www.G4EST.me.uk

[...]

It's a fun show Charlie.

Actually the best number is 42, the meaning of life.

73 DE VK2RT Bruce

stephen_i@...

Edited

Seventy-Three is non-standard as it is NOT of NATO-phonetic standard - and the "seventy" can be confused with lots of different words with different inflections.

Seven is definitely clearer... and as an earlier post suggests is based on the "Philips Code".

"Seventy-Three" Its like saying "ten-four-good-budgie" on Amateur airwaves.... brrrrrr... sends shivers down my spine....

Michael Black

What does a ham 73 have to do with NATO phonetics?

Nobody in NATO ever said "73" to sign off.

You are correct that isn't' the way numerals are pronounced...but there's a REALLY good reason why it's 7-3 in the military.
#1 Could be any combination of numbers or other words
#2 Likely in a very noisy or limited communications mode.

In ham the 73 is only said in one place and no other number is expected.  I've never heard anybody say 7-3 on the radio.

de Mike W9MDB