locked JTAlert configuration files

Bob W4PG

I'm having a problem and need to DELETE ALL REFERENCES to JTAlert.  I cannot find where these files are stored.  When I delete the program and reinstall it, it still populates the program with my station data.  I cannot find any reference to JTAlert or HAMAPPS in the Windows hidden "appdata" folder.  I cannot find an .ini file (if that exists).  I'm trying to get my computer back to where any reinstallation of JTAlert will install as if NO prior version had ever been installed.

If I could just find where those files are stored . . .

...........Bob W4PG

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 15/08/2017 8:21 AM, Bob wrote:
I'm having a problem and need to DELETE ALL REFERENCES to JTAlert.  I cannot find where these files are stored.  When I delete the program and reinstall it, it still populates the program with my station data.  I cannot find any reference to JTAlert or HAMAPPS in the Windows hidden "appdata" folder.  I cannot find an .ini file (if that exists).  I'm trying to get my computer back to where any reinstallation of JTAlert will install as if NO prior version had ever been installed.

If I could just find where those files are stored . . .

...........Bob W4PG

Bob,

JTAlert retains user configuration across installs/uninstalls/upgrades.
All user files can be found under the HamApps directory at %localappdata%
There is some data stored in the registry which you can delete at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\HamApps

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bob W4PG

Thanks, Laurie!  That's exactly what I was looking for!  I deleted the localappdata and the registry data and the program installed as if for the first time.

However, that did not fix my problem.  I was recently using your fine program to log to HRD and it worked very nicely.  I built a new computer for all my ham radio stuff and reinstalled all the ham apps, including HRD and your program.  However, JTAlert will not recognize my current log in HRD.  It actually shows 3 logs, even though I only have one in my HRD program (Which is W4PG - Access).  JTAlert shows "HRD My Logbook - access", "HRD Logbook - access" plus "W4PGLog," which was an old log I no longer use. My actual log, W4PG - Access, does not show up in JTAlert.  I cannot scan my log since I cannot select it.

SO, how do I get JTALert to scan my log files in HRD?? More specifically, how do I get JTALert to scan HRD for the log files currently in use??

I have HRD running on a separate computer on my LAN.  I have set the IP address in JTAlert to the IP of that computer.  I've done this before and it worked very nicely.  Now, not so much.  I'm running the latest version of HRD .777 and your latest version of JTAlert 2.10.1.

Thanks!

...............Bob W4PG

Richard Griest_N4RWG

Bob,

Thank you for giving me a heads up on what looks to be upset another compatibility issue with another JT Alert Update with HRD.

Maybe the 3 major programs can coordinate between each other.  JT Alert, WSJT-X and HRD seem to be the leading programs for what I believe is the fastest growing Communication Mode that I have witnessed.

Peace between N. Korea and the US maybe an easier task.

TNX
Richard Griest  - N4RWG

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

[...]

So I think I solved my problem by simply changing my log back to "My Logbook" in HRD rather than using "W4PG - Access."  Upon doing so and setting the correct IP address in JTAlert for the computer running HRD, JTAlert did a scan of the log and correctly updated all of the logging information for DX, WAS, etc.  It worked very nicely.  Now to make a contact or two and see if it will log to HRD!

I'm still not quite sure how JTAlert seemed to "find" an old log using my call that I had worked on but deleted in HRD, yet I could never get JTAlert to "scan" HRD logs to update the name of the logs in JTAlert.

...............Bob W4PG

Bob W4PG

OK, so I made a contact and it logged to HRD just fine.  HOWEVER, I got the usual error from JTAlert:

FAILURE : QSO Not logged!

ERROR Message : HRD : Unable to confirm QSO logged

Callsign :     <deleted>
Frequency :     7.075665 MHz
Logged Mode :     FT8

This is Error is due to a long-standing defect within HRDLogbook where the HRD TCP logging command fails to write the QSO to the log. This affects non-Access logs only.

This message has been placed in the Windows clipboard.

HRD TCP Logging command result returned =>
Ham Radio Deluxe Version Release 6.4.0.777
[c] Found 27 Valid Fields...
Added 27 Fields to My Logbook...
[c] [c]

??????????????????

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 16/08/2017 8:56 AM, Bob wrote:
OK, so I made a contact and it logged to HRD just fine.  HOWEVER, I got the usual error from JTAlert:

FAILURE : QSO Not logged!

ERROR Message : HRD : Unable to confirm QSO logged

Bob,

When JTAlert reports that it is unable to confirm a QSO was logged despite the QSO being successfully logged, the usual cause is a too short QSO check time. Since you logging across a network, that is likely to be the case. Open the JTAlert Settings, navigate to the Miscellaneous -> Performance section and increase the "Check QSO Log Record" time.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bob W4PG

Thanks, Laurie!  I'll do that and report back.  Appreciate the quick response!!

...........Bob W4PG

Bob W4PG

Laurie:

I think there is an issue regarding connecting JTAlert over a LAN.  My problem is not remotely solved.  However, I don't expect you to spend much time on this since it's an HRD issue, but to the extent it might be a LAN issue that affects other programs, I'll describe my weird goings-on in case it might help folks using programs other than HRD.

I have three computers in my LAN.  <MAIN> runs my FLEX software for the 6700, WSJT-X and JTAlert-X. The two others I'll call <HAMOLD> and <HAMNEW>.  <HAMOLD> and <HAMNEW> run HRD plus DDUtil_V3, which links HRD to <MAIN>.  I previously ran <MAIN> and <HAMOLD> running WSJT-X using FT-8.  It all worked nicely.  JTAlert logged to <HAMOLD> without issue.  I was actually using the immediately previous version of JTALert that still suported HRD and an older version of HRD, not the current .777.

I decide to build <HAMNEW> with updated CPU and SSD drive.  I load HRD and DDUtil_V3 on <HAMNEW> and all works well.  HRD reads the FLEX on <MAIN> no problem.  I go into JTAlert on <MAIN> and input the IP address for <HAMNEW> thinking JTALert will then link to <HAMNEW>.  It doesn't work.

Somewhere ELSE on <MAIN> is a configuration file that JTAlert is reading OLD HRD log data.  I cannot imagine any other possiblity.  I've deleted the registry folder AND the appdata folder.

Now, for the REALLY weird issue.  With all three computers running last night, I made an FT8 contact.  JTAlert correctly logged the contact in HRD on <HAMNEW> though I got an error that it failed.  That's when you informed me of the timing setting.  I didn't make any change in that settting yet because I cannot get JTAlert to work anymore.  After making that contact, I shut down <HAMOLD> and immediately got an error regarding OBD logging of some-such from JTAlert.  Somehow JTAlert was STILL looking at <HAMOLD> even though the IP address set in the settings was for the IP address of <HAMNEW>.

I STILL feel there is some configuration file on my <MAIN> computer that I cannot find.  There is simply NO WAY JTAlert would list 3 HRD logs on a virgin install that do not exist.  One of those logs contains my call sign and was a log I was working with to correct some other issues on <HAMOLD>.  Somehow JTALert read that log and now it has it stored on <MAIN> in some configuration file that I cannot find.

I don't know for sure but I'm not sure how many foks are using these programs to communicate over a LAN.  You would know based on those reporting problems but maybe this is an issue only affecting a very few folks.  At any rate I hope this might help you if there are LAN issues ongoing.

..............Bob W4PG

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

Bob,

JTAlert reads the HRD LogbookDatabases.xml file to determine what Logs are configured within HRD and their associated ODBC DSN.
This file is located at %appdata%\HRDLLC\HRD Logbook\LogbookDatabases.xml

If JTAlert logging to HRD working, but log confirmation is failing or generating ODBC errors, suggests that there is a problem with the DSN configuration.

Sorry, I can't help you debug HRD specific ODBC DSN errors. I do have a utility that allows you to check if an ODBC DSN is correctly configured and can read the HRD Log.

Download the following file and test your DSNs. http://dnl.HamApps.com/Testing/HRD_ODBC_DSN_test.exe
If this test program can read the Log (via the DSN) it should report the number of log records and the last QSO found in the log.

Sorry, I no longer have HRD installed here so cannot do any HRD specific testing.

de Laurie VK3AMA

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 06:23 pm, HamApps Support (VK3AMA) wrote:
Sorry, I no longer have HRD installed here so cannot do any HRD specific testing
Understood.  And that ends my interest in this problem.  I hope the LAN issue does not extend to the other fine programs you continue to support.

.............Bob W4PG

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

On 17/08/2017 11:38 AM, Bob wrote:
Sorry, I no longer have HRD installed here so cannot do any HRD specific testing
Understood.  And that ends my interest in this problem.  I hope the LAN issue does not extend to the other fine programs you continue to support.

.............Bob W4PG

Bob,

Did you try the HRD_ODBC_DSN_Test program to see if the DSN is correctly configured and allowing for reading of the log?

If you logging across a LAN, than you must have created the DSN in the first place as HRD doesn't create that type of DSN, only DSNs for local PCs does it create. In the past I tested remote HRD installs (running on a VM) and I had to manually create the individual DSNs for MSSQL, MySQL, MariaDB and network mapped Access logs. Once the DSNs were created
(they need to be done using the 32bit DSN manager) and tested OK within the DSN manager, JTAlert was able to interrogate the Log without issue.

de Laurie VK3AMA

Bob W4PG

Laurie:

I ran the test program and it found the logs and all seemed well.

Let me just say that rather than beat my head about a LAN issue, I just decided to run HRD, WSJT-X and JTAlert ALL on the same computer, while running my Flex 6700 and SMART SDR on another computer on my LAN.  Using the FLEX CAT program, I was able to run HRD, WSJT-X and JTAlert on the one computer and they talked to each other no problem.  It was an easy manner to connect all the logging progams through the FLEX CAT program.  It all worked the first time I installed the programs.

It's not clear to me that WSJT-X and your fine program are necessarily designed to work across a LAN.  I'm guessing that 99% of the users don't try this.  I'm still wondering how I was able to get this work so nicely in the first place, but will say I was using previous versions of HRD and your program.  JTAlert WAS logging ACROSS my LAN to HRD on another computer.  JTAlert and WSJT-X were on one computer, and HRD on another.

I *DID* find that I had a version of HRD installed on one of the computers that I had forgotten about.  JTAlert was correctly reading that version while I had thought since I had plugged in the IP address of ANOTHER computer, JTAlert was reading that one.  It wasn't apparently.

I was simply beating my head trying to get something to work when a much easier solution was at hand.

So, even though I'm using two computers conected over my home LAN, I'm running the FLEX on one computer and HRD, WSJT-X and JTAlert on another.  I'm using the FLEX CAT program on the "OTHER" computer with all the logging programs and connecting them through that CAT connection.  It works flawlessly.

So, to summarize, if folks are using a LAN with several computers and the FLEX, put the FLEX and rig control on one, put WSJT-X, JTAlert and HRD on the other.  Connect the logging programs via the FLEX CAT program and enjoy! Oh, don't forget DAX as well.

Whew!!!!

................Bob W4PG

David De Coons

Bob,

I use JT Alert, WSJT-X and HRD Logbook with a Flex 6500. I use the latest version of DDUtil 3.2.6.00 as an HRD server so I do not need to run the main HRD program.

In HRD Logbook go to tools/configure/network server and uncheck same PC connections only. This should allow logging over the network.

Dave wo2x

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 18, 2017, at 8:39 PM, Bob <w4pg@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Dave! Don't know how I forgot about that setting.  I did as you said but no go.  I even set up a pathway through the network to the HRDLLC folder where the log is kept but JTAlert still will not find the logs.  Quite honestly I think the issue I have is a Windows LAN issue and NOT a problem with JTAlert.  Before I could not access the HRD folder with the log from the computer running JTAlert  I now CAN do that, but still no go.  JTAlert still shows NO logs at all.

At any rate I have JTAlert, HRD and WSJT-X running on one computer and all the Flex stuff, Smart SDR running on another and they talk just fine.  I'll accept that and continue to tinker with my LAN to figure out how in the world I got it to run so easily bofore with an old computer, but cannot get it to work on the new computer.  FUN FUN FUN!! :-)

David De Coons

Check any firewall software running on either PC. Most AV/firewall software will allow you to temporarily disable the firewall so you can determine if that is the cause.

Sometimes the AV software is too aggressive at trying to protect the customer.

Dave wo2x

Sent from my waxed string and tin cans.