locked Thanks

Mike N8FRI

I recently discovered mode FT8.  Sure it's fast and you have to be a little quicker on the draw, but it accomplishes its design (for 6 meters openings) with gusto. Its popularity has spread to the HF bands like wildfire. It may actually cause some hams to slow down and take a minute to decide who to call. Patience is a good thing.
Let me tell you, FT8 is just plain FUN!  If you think it is a failure or a passing fad, just take a stroll down 20 meters any evening around 14.074 and you will find a crowd even at the bottom of the sunspot cycle. I am quite sure that it will eventually be replaced by a better, more efficient form but for now take it for a spin. You may just like what you see.
I say a great big THANKS to Laurie VK3AMA and anyone assisting him in the development/testing of FT8.  These tireless individuals give of their own time to develop software for the advancement of amateur radio digital communications.

Mike, N8FRI

HamApps Support (VK3AMA)

Edited

Mike,

Thanks for the THANKS. I think it is somewhat misplaced as I didn't have any direct involvement in the development of FT8.

Regarding the FT8 activity on the bands, in the next release of JTAlert the BandActivity window includes tr/rx band counts of FT8 (taken from HamSpots.net).

This image was taken just now, not at the usage peak (yesterday I saw 20m activity peak at over 300 unique callsigns spotting FT8)

Note the FT8 spotters on 6m double that of JT65.

de Laurie, VK3AMA

Don Hill AA5AU

Activity on 6M FT8 has been high this evening. It (FT8) seems better suited for 6M especially in these declining Es conditions.

Don AA5AU

Thanks for the THANKS. I think it is somewhat misplaced as I didn't have any direct involvement in the development of FT8.

Regarding the FT8 activity on the bands, in the next release of JTAlert the BandActivity window includes tr/rx band counts of FT8 (taken from HamSpots.net).

This image was taken just now, not at the usage peak (yesterday I saw 20m activity peak at over 300 unique callsigns spotting FT8)

Note the FT8 spotters on 6m double that of JT65.

de Laurie, VK3AMA

Ady, YO2NAA

Dear Laurie,

My band activity only displays JT65 and JT9 but not FT8.

I use JTAlert 2.9.10

Your image is from a future version?

TNX, 73

Ady YO2NAA

Thanks for the THANKS. I think it is somewhat misplaced as I didn't have any direct involvement in the development of FT8.

Regarding the FT8 activity on the bands, in the next release of JTAlert the BandActivity window includes tr/rx band counts of FT8 (taken from HamSpots.net).

This image was taken just now, not at the usage peak (yesterday I saw 20m activity peak at over 300 unique callsigns spotting FT8)

Note the FT8 spotters on 6m double that of JT65.

de Laurie, VK3AMA

Michael Black

Yes...that's why his email said "next version".

de Mike W9MDB