locked WSJT-X icon opening JTDX

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

Hi Laurie

After using WSJT-X 1.7.0 successfully for a while, I was asked by one of my neighbours to have a look at JTDX and give him my opinion. I downloaded it, installed it in a directory C:/Ham/JTDX  (WSJX-X is in C:/Ham/wsjtx ) and configured JTDX (did not seem to share the configuration settings of WSJT-X at all). I then reloaded JTAlert to give me a desktop icon for JTDX.

The problem is, every time I click the (red) WSJT-X-JTAlertX icon, it opens JTDX. Surely this should open WSJT-X??? What have I managed to mess up??  I would ideally like to be able to run whichever I choose, as JTDX has no VHF support.

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ

KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa

EPC#0558 DMC#1690 WCC#030 30MDG#4081

DXCC(mixed)#41,146  DXCC(RTTY)#1,916

DXCC(phone)#34,990  DXCC(CW)#11,714

DXCC 40m,30m,20m,17m,15m,12m,10m

WAS Triple Play #492  WAS(RTTY)#538  WAZ(RTTY)#185  WAE-I(mixed)#72

WAZS(mixed)#214  AAA#1569

AS ZR6DXB: VUCC(50MHZ)#1,334  UKSMG WAE(Silver)#75  UKSMG AFRICA#22  WAC (Satellite)

website : www.zs2ez.co.za

Laurie, VK3AMA <groups08@...>

On 3/01/2017 7:06 PM, 'Barry Murrell ZS2EZ' mailgroups@... [HamApps] wrote:

Hi Laurie

After using WSJT-X 1.7.0 successfully for a while, I was asked by one of my neighbours to have a look at JTDX and give him my opinion. I downloaded it, installed it in a directory C:/Ham/JTDX� (WSJX-X is in C:/Ham/wsjtx ) and configured JTDX (did not seem to share the configuration settings of WSJT-X at all). I then reloaded JTAlert to give me a desktop icon for JTDX.

The problem is, every time I click the (red) WSJT-X-JTAlertX icon, it opens JTDX. Surely this should open WSJT-X??? What have I managed to mess up??� I would ideally like to be able to run whichever I choose, as JTDX has no VHF support.

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ

Hi Barry,

JTDX no longer uses the config of WSJT-X, it now has its own independent config, since v17.0 if I recall correctly.

The different JTAlert shortcuts for JTDX and WSJT-X, are used to instruct JTAlert which JTMode application it is expected to operate against (so it internally can adjust for the differences in the programs). The shortcuts are NOT used to auto-start either of the WSJT-X or JTDX executables.

It would appear that you have JTAlert set to auto-start JTDX (see the "Applications -> Auto-Start" section of the JTAlert Settings). You need to remove or turn off that entry.

If you are routinely swapping between WSJT-X and JTDX, then using a JTAlert auto-start is not ideal, as you will be continually changing the auto-start settings. The better approach would to remove any auto-start entry and then perform a manual start of WSJT-X or JTDX followed by starting JTAlert using the correct shortcut.

If you end up using just one of these programs, then add it as an auto-start entry and you will be back to the JTAlert shortcut starting it and JTAlert as a single operation.
�
de Laurie VK3AMA
���

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

Thanks Laurie!

A bit of a PITA after getting so used to launching everything with one click, but I guess I will get used to it quite quickly…  so far not THAT thrilled with JTDX, will have to see over the next couple of days.

For me the ULTIMATE would be DXLab Launcher offering an additional row of buttons to launch other applications such as WSJT-X, JTAlert, LogPublisher, SpotSpy or the various Gateways – but I really don’t see Dave making that kind of change anytime soon!! Would be awesome though….  J

[...]

Peter Eckersberger

Hi Barry,

Peter (nickname = Pez) here. See what I did ...

WSJT-X und JTDX in different folders. In "Auto-Start" simply 2 different path-entries. One for "WSJT-X" (see #2) and an other one for "JTDX" (see #6). After starting the program that was used last one has to ENTER/REMOVE the check-mark before starting the whole bunch in the usual manner. Works fine.

73 de Pez, OE3EPW

[...]

Seb

DXLab Launcher already provides that functionality.  Select Config, and you will see 8 slots for apps started before DXLab, and an additional 8 slots for apps started after DXLab.

You can also create a batch file which will open as many additional programs as you’d like.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS

On Jan 3, 2017, at 5:32 AM, 'Barry Murrell ZS2EZ' mailgroups@... [HamApps] <HamApps@...> wrote:

For me the ULTIMATE would be DXLab Launcher offering an additional row of buttons to launch other applications such as WSJT-X, JTAlert, LogPublisher, SpotSpy or the various Gateways – but I really don’t see Dave making that kind of change anytime soon!! Would be awesome though….  J

73 de BARRY MURRELL ZS2EZ
KF26ta - Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Barry Murrell ZS2EZ

Hmm that is useful, but not exactly what I was referring to….

In order to launch programs from these slots one needs to open the Config panel each time – yet another window to open and close. I have 4 monitors – SpotCollector occupies one on it’s own, email takes up another, the third is shared by Commander (with its bandspread)/DXKeeper/DXView (no map)/Launcher/LogPublisher.  The final monitor crries the “Active” application : WinWarbler/WSJT-X/FLDigi/MixW/MultiPSK/GRITTY+Gateway/MRP40+Gateway etc etc.  My ideal situation would be an (optional) additional row of buttons under the 7 used for the DXLab applications to launch 7 of the addon applications.

Launcher is an amazingly effective program – I don’t have any other DXLab icons on my (overcrowded) desktop, it does everything for me. If I could launch JTAlert and the WSJT-X variants like that it would be awesome!

[...]

Thanks Pez!!!

Will give it a try….

[...]

Barry,

If your frequently changing between WSJT-X and JTDX that changing the auto-start entries is a chore, then my recommendation is to not use the auto-starts and manually start WSJT-X or JTDX. It is just one additional mouse click.

An alternative is to ignore any JTDX/WSJT-X and JTAlert shortcuts and create your own shortcut that points to a batch file that starts both programs JTAlert and WSJT-X. A similar batch file would need to be created for JTAlert and JTDX.

The downside to the batch file approach is that the associated JTMode application is not automatically closed when JTAlert is closed. But that would also be the case if DXLab Launcher was extended as you recently described. Also, only an additional single mouse click to close the program.

These two batch file samples have been tested and work (pay attention to the JTAlert commandline parameter). Be sure to change the paths to those applicable to your environment...
@echo off
start "JTDX" /D "D:\Apps\JTDX_17.3\bin\" /B wsjtx.exe
start "JTAlertX" /D "D:\Apps\JTAlert\" /B JTAlert.exe /jtdx
@echo off
start "WSJT-X" /D "D:\Apps\wsjtx-1.7.0\bin\" /B wsjtx.exe
start "JTAlertX" /D "D:\Apps\JTAlert\" /B JTAlert.exe /wsjtx

de Laurie VK3AMA

On 4/01/2017 4:27 AM, 'Barry Murrell ZS2EZ' mailgroups@... [HamApps] wrote:

[...]

I must be misunderstanding you.  You don’t need to open the Config panel, whatever programs you setup there automatically run when you run Launcher.  If that is not what you want, then just add the programs you want to open and close to your task bar; or from as you said, your overcrowded desktop.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS